Texas & OU to join SEC

KnightTiger

58 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

I'm predicting 14-0 yes. The leadership of aTm appeased their fanbase by making public comments about how angry they are, but I think they come around and vote ye$. I also think we'll see OU and Texas in the SEC beginning the 2022 season. 

17 minutes ago, CT Tiger said:

I'm predicting 14-0 yes. The leadership of aTm appeased their fanbase by making public comments about how angry they are, but I think they come around and vote ye$. I also think we'll see OU and Texas in the SEC beginning the 2022 season. 

Will they still have to pony up that 76 mil each to get out of their contracts? I hope the SEC doesn't have to chip in. You made your bed so lie in it. 

1 hour ago, Brad_ATX said:

To play devils advocate what do we think would happen if they weren't accepted? Would they just go independent like ND? I think these two brands could carry themselves on their own. 

24 minutes ago, bootskii said:

To play devils advocate what do we think would happen if they weren't accepted? Would they just go independent like ND? I think these two brands could carry themselves on their own. 

Oh I think they would be courted by the rest of P5. I think all of those were going to go after them at some point, but they committed to SEC before they had the chance.  This is probably why it was kept secret all this time, too basically give nobody else a real chance to get them. 

1 hour ago, bootskii said:

I see what you are going at, but I can promise you they didn't opt out of the Big12 without a guarantee that they would be accepted into the SEC and possibly even paid to come

• Like 1

Big 12 sends ‘cease and desist’ letter to ESPN

The Big 12 appears to be upset with ESPN.

Pete Thamel of Yahoo Sports reports that the Big 12 sent a “cease and desist” letter to ESPN demanding the network not communicate with the conference’s existing members or any other conference about adding Big 12 programs.

Thamel posted about the letter on his Twitter 

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/sec-football/report-big-12-sent-cease-and-desist-letter-to-espn/

Sounds like a league in panic.  Wow. 

Edited by AUBwins
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, CT Tiger said:

So... Not to toot my own horn but boom. 

Edit: The letter from the board 

Screenshot_20210728-204854_Twitter.jpg

Edited by CT Tiger

6 hours ago, bootskii said:

Will they still have to pony up that 76 mil each to get out of their contracts? I hope the SEC doesn't have to chip in. You made your bed so lie in it. 

Well if the SEC's attempted assassination of the Big 12 fails, I read something yesterday that the $150M that ESPN owes Texas for The Longhorn Network could be leveraged. I believe the Big 12 GoRs are with ESPN. 

My tinfoil hat wearing side is suspicious that ESPN has been quietly pulling the strings in all all of this, including Texas and OU to the SEC, and it's been in the works for a longer time than we think (from when the idea was first pitched and the creation of a strategic plan). 🧐

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, CT Tiger said:

So... Not to toot my own horn but boom. 

Edit: The letter from the board 

Screenshot_20210728-204854_Twitter.jpg

To further that in lamens terms.  Buddy sent me this. 

Screensho.jpg

8 hours ago, bootskii said:

@bootskii If they do then both schools already have the money lined up from boosters if need be. Bih 12 could still implode too making a payment unnecessary.

8 hours ago, bootskii said:

There is no playing DA here all the ducks were lined up in a row on both sides before the news ever became public.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, AUBwins said:

Pete Thamel of Yahoo Sports reports that the Big 12 sent a “cease and desist” letter to ESPN demanding the network not communicate with the conference’s existing members or any other conference about adding Big 12 programs.

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/sec-football/report-big-12-sent-cease-and-desist-letter-to-espn/

Yes they are in panic. The C & D was sent because ESPN got this all started with UTx & OU. ESPN told the 2 schools they were not extending the Grant of Rights they have with the Big 12 beyond 2025 & advised them to shop around. That's when UTx & OU contacted the SEC about joining.

• Thanks 4

6 minutes ago, ellitor said:

There is no playing DA here all the ducks were lined up in a row on both sides before the news ever became public.

Yep, like looking for a job without your current employer knowing.  Best to keep it quiet. 

2 hours ago, CT Tiger said:

ESPN has been quietly pulling the strings in all all of this,

Ding Ding

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

So does anyone know what time's the vote today? Are we going to see white or black smoke signifying the outcome once voting has concluded?

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, CT Tiger said:

So does anyone know what time's the vote today? Are we going to see white or black smoke signifying the outcome once voting has concluded?

4pm I believe

• Thanks 1

On 7/27/2021 at 1:48 PM, CoffeeTiger said:

Texas/Oklahoma/The SEC wouldn't have let all of this come out into the open if they didn't already know what the final outcome would be. I believe this has all been in the works for awhile.  

Yes. they are still going to have to take a 'formal' vote from the schools, but don't believe for a minute that Sankey doesn't already know the outcome. 

Agreed. There will be a formal vote and the result will be unanimous.

I would bet the ranch that a straw vote was taken before TX and OK gave formal notice to the Big 12.  Hypothetically, of course. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, AUBwins said:

Good for them. ESPN is destroying their league. Who wouldn’t stand up for their business?

Everyone applauding this move is clearly not thinking long term. Espn will soon have a monopoly on the sport. We’re 5 years away from having a Marvel Bowl or some stupid s***. Disney now owns CFB. This is so pathetic. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, woodford said:

Good for them. ESPN is destroying their league. Who wouldn’t stand up for their business?

Everyone applauding this move is clearly not thinking long term. Espn will soon have a monopoly on the sport. We’re 5 years away from having a Marvel Bowl or some stupid s***. Disney now owns CFB. This is so pathetic. 

I'm really hoping we make it to the Little Mermaid Bowl.

• Haha 4

ESPN could have some liability financially for contract interference, among other things, but that won't impact the expansion in the least.

SEC has officially invited Texas and OU to the conference with 14-0 vote.  Announced live on Finebaum

• Like 1
  • Love 1