Prominent voice on Harsin

aubiefifty

Auburn Football

Prominent voice explains why he likes Auburn’s Bryan Harsin

Updated: Aug. 25, 2021, 9:46 a.m. | Published: Aug. 25, 2021, 7:36 a.m.

Auburn head football coach Bryan Harsin is entering his first season with the Tigers but is currently away from the team after testing positive for COVID-19. (AP Photo/Julie Bennett)AP

shares

By Joseph Goodman | jgoodman@al.com

Bryan Harsin is going to do really well at Auburn, a familiar voice said to me on Tuesday.

In a recent column critical of Harsin, my doubts about Auburn’s new coach were loud and angry. Just wait, I was told.

More than anything — except for maybe that he is very pro-vaccine — that’s what Lanett High School football coach Clifford Story wanted me to know. Fall camp might have taken an unfortunate turn with Auburn’s coach and defensive coordinator out with COVID-19, but, according to Story, “once they get everything in the direction they want it going, and [Harsin] gets his guys in there, they’re going to have a lot of success at Auburn.”

We’ll see, but Story’s opinion of Harsin isn’t some take from an Auburn homer with a blog. His is the hope of an invested stakeholder who wants Harsin to succeed at Auburn, yes, but Story’s perspective comes from a place that’s built on sturdier stuff than blind trust. He doesn’t have a choice in the matter. It is his business to be a little more discerning when it comes to the character of coaches in college football, and their abilities to build winners. Story’s son, Caden, is committed to Auburn.

Story wants what’s best for Auburn, and that includes a team that understands the importance of vaccination against COVID-19, but Harsin’s noted refusal to promote vaccination aside, Story likes what he sees. One of the most respected high school football coaches in the state, his words carry great weight, too, so his perspective should come as a relief for Auburn fans who have questioned the new coach in recent weeks.

Still, make no mistake, this outbreak of COVID-19 at Auburn during fall camp threatens the success of the season. For parents of young people at Auburn, Story has a different message.

“Caden isn’t going to be at Auburn for another year, but as a parent I’m going to make sure that, a year from now, he has the booster or whatever the medical recommendation is at that time to protect him,” Story said. “We’re going to do what we’re supposed to do as parents, and that’s make sure that Caden is vaccinated.”

RELATED: LSU requiring proof of vaccination, negative test for football games

GOODMAN: Failure of Bryan Harsin goes far beyond football field

An elite prospect at defensive end, Caden could go pretty much anywhere next summer to play football. He loved former Auburn coach Gus Malzahn, and viewed Malzahn as a “father figure,” according to Cliff Story. When Malzahn was fired, Caden’s recruitment was reopened and other programs swooped in. Harsin locked up Caden’s commitment, dad says, with a no nonsense attitude, and his detailed plan for the future of Auburn football.

Well, what’s the plan?

“It would take me way too long to go through it all,” Story said. “But [Harsin] broke it all down with a long powerpoint presentation. All coaches talk about their plan, but he broke it all down step by step so we could see it.”

Harsin’s plan for Auburn is based on trust, building relationships and creating a family atmosphere, and he shows recruits and their families how those ideas are formed into practical, daily plans with detailed blueprints. And Auburn’s resources for helping Harsin make all that happen, Story notes, are second to none in the country.

Dad Story knows all the tricks in the recruiting game, and emphasized that Harsin “says what he means, and means what he says. He is very straight-forward, and he can command a room.”

“Everything he said he would do, he has done,” Story said. “He said he would make Auburn feel like a family, and he is doing it. The players really respond to him, and I like that he gets out on the field with them and practices. He has put together a great staff, guys who have bought into his vision.

“He has proven himself to my family.”

Families never agree on everything, and the Auburn family knows that better than anyone.

It is fair to criticize the current mismanagement of Auburn’s fall camp, but Story believes that the whole picture of Harsin is one that Auburn fans should embrace. This past week, with Harsin refusing to promote vaccines and then testing positive himself, cast a shadow on the start of Auburn’s season. There is no getting around that. Does Story wish Auburn’s coach promoted vaccines? Yes, of course, and Story is “praying” for everyone at Auburn to get vaccinated for the health of themselves, their teammates and their families.

GOODMAN: Super Teams vs. Super Seniors frames new season of college football

GOODMAN: Suni Lee propels Auburn onto national stage

But when it comes to football, Story says that Harsin and defensive coordinator Derek Mason set Auburn apart from other programs during recruiting.

“[Mason] is a player’s coach, and full of energy,” Story said. “What I like about him, in addition to that, was when he was breaking down Caden’s film, [Mason] was telling him what he needed to work on and how he fits into what Auburn wants.

“Caden is so athletic to be as big as he is (6-4, 250 pounds),” Story said. “He is one of those kids where he always trained to be a quarterback, and outgrew the position, but kept the ability.”

For measured context on Harsin’s plan for Auburn through the lens of a parent of a future player, know that one of Story’s other sons, Kristian Story, is a sophomore defensive back for the Alabama Crimson Tide.

For appreciation on Cliff Story’s understanding of what it takes to succeed as a coach, realize that he is one of the best high school football coaches in the country. Is that a biased opinion? Yeah, probably so, but there is no one — literally no one — who can do more with less than Cliff Story at Lanett High School in Chambers County, Alabama.

Name another coach anywhere whose football workout facility is currently a charred heap of wreckage from a catastrophic fire, but, despite that major setback, started this high school football season on Friday with a 47-point victory.

“We kinda got out on them early,” Story said.

His burned down football facility, Story is hoping, will be rebuilt by next year. They still could use some help to build it back better than before, he says. Story is pretty good at building things. When it comes to respect, no one commands more of it than the guy who has built Lanett High School football and its athletics department into an example of what small-town schools can accomplish with love and dedication.

That’s the kind of spirit, built by unflappable people, that makes Auburn great.

Guy he almost apologized lol. he did brown nose the fans to get us off his butt...........grins

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Love 1

I hope this goodman guy never writes another article related to Auburn University in any way.   I’ve never seen a so-called “sports journalist”  use the team he’s supposed to be covering just to spew his own agenda in multiple articles now.   What an embarrassment to the journalism community!!!

• Like 3

Goodman is a clown. I hate someone even shared this . Complete tool bag . 

maybe he is a good dude away from writing trash for AL

Not looking to start an argument.

Was CBH sick/symptomatic or did he just have a positive test?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

I hope this goodman guy never writes another article related to Auburn University in any way.   I’ve never seen a so-called “sports journalist”  use the team he’s supposed to be covering just to spew his own agenda in multiple articles now.   What an embarrassment to the journalism community!!!

That is the only type of person that the Antagonizer hires to write about Auburn. They are nothing but AOL certified!

i still do not care for the man but he just ate crow talking about how wonderful auburn fans are. we already know everyone hates him.

Goodman is a Finebaum wannabe...except PF can actually write a good story.  Goodman was getting is rear handed to him for the POS article last week.  Finebaum would have stood by the story and made you like it...he wouldn't have resorted to a puff piece to get his butt out of the proverbial sling.

• Like 1

On 8/26/2021 at 7:04 AM, aubiefifty said:

Auburn Football

Prominent voice explains why he likes Auburn’s Bryan Harsin

Updated: Aug. 25, 2021, 9:46 a.m. | Published: Aug. 25, 2021, 7:36 a.m.

Auburn head football coach Bryan Harsin is entering his first season with the Tigers but is currently away from the team after testing positive for COVID-19. (AP Photo/Julie Bennett)AP

shares

By Joseph Goodman | jgoodman@al.com

Bryan Harsin is going to do really well at Auburn, a familiar voice said to me on Tuesday.

In a recent column critical of Harsin, my doubts about Auburn’s new coach were loud and angry. Just wait, I was told.

More than anything — except for maybe that he is very pro-vaccine — that’s what Lanett High School football coach Clifford Story wanted me to know. Fall camp might have taken an unfortunate turn with Auburn’s coach and defensive coordinator out with COVID-19, but, according to Story, “once they get everything in the direction they want it going, and [Harsin] gets his guys in there, they’re going to have a lot of success at Auburn.”

We’ll see, but Story’s opinion of Harsin isn’t some take from an Auburn homer with a blog. His is the hope of an invested stakeholder who wants Harsin to succeed at Auburn, yes, but Story’s perspective comes from a place that’s built on sturdier stuff than blind trust. He doesn’t have a choice in the matter. It is his business to be a little more discerning when it comes to the character of coaches in college football, and their abilities to build winners. Story’s son, Caden, is committed to Auburn.

Story wants what’s best for Auburn, and that includes a team that understands the importance of vaccination against COVID-19, but Harsin’s noted refusal to promote vaccination aside, Story likes what he sees. One of the most respected high school football coaches in the state, his words carry great weight, too, so his perspective should come as a relief for Auburn fans who have questioned the new coach in recent weeks.

Still, make no mistake, this outbreak of COVID-19 at Auburn during fall camp threatens the success of the season. For parents of young people at Auburn, Story has a different message.

“Caden isn’t going to be at Auburn for another year, but as a parent I’m going to make sure that, a year from now, he has the booster or whatever the medical recommendation is at that time to protect him,” Story said. “We’re going to do what we’re supposed to do as parents, and that’s make sure that Caden is vaccinated.”

RELATED: LSU requiring proof of vaccination, negative test for football games

GOODMAN: Failure of Bryan Harsin goes far beyond football field

An elite prospect at defensive end, Caden could go pretty much anywhere next summer to play football. He loved former Auburn coach Gus Malzahn, and viewed Malzahn as a “father figure,” according to Cliff Story. When Malzahn was fired, Caden’s recruitment was reopened and other programs swooped in. Harsin locked up Caden’s commitment, dad says, with a no nonsense attitude, and his detailed plan for the future of Auburn football.

Well, what’s the plan?

“It would take me way too long to go through it all,” Story said. “But [Harsin] broke it all down with a long powerpoint presentation. All coaches talk about their plan, but he broke it all down step by step so we could see it.”

Harsin’s plan for Auburn is based on trust, building relationships and creating a family atmosphere, and he shows recruits and their families how those ideas are formed into practical, daily plans with detailed blueprints. And Auburn’s resources for helping Harsin make all that happen, Story notes, are second to none in the country.

Dad Story knows all the tricks in the recruiting game, and emphasized that Harsin “says what he means, and means what he says. He is very straight-forward, and he can command a room.”

“Everything he said he would do, he has done,” Story said. “He said he would make Auburn feel like a family, and he is doing it. The players really respond to him, and I like that he gets out on the field with them and practices. He has put together a great staff, guys who have bought into his vision.

“He has proven himself to my family.”

Families never agree on everything, and the Auburn family knows that better than anyone.

It is fair to criticize the current mismanagement of Auburn’s fall camp, but Story believes that the whole picture of Harsin is one that Auburn fans should embrace. This past week, with Harsin refusing to promote vaccines and then testing positive himself, cast a shadow on the start of Auburn’s season. There is no getting around that. Does Story wish Auburn’s coach promoted vaccines? Yes, of course, and Story is “praying” for everyone at Auburn to get vaccinated for the health of themselves, their teammates and their families.

GOODMAN: Super Teams vs. Super Seniors frames new season of college football

GOODMAN: Suni Lee propels Auburn onto national stage

But when it comes to football, Story says that Harsin and defensive coordinator Derek Mason set Auburn apart from other programs during recruiting.

“[Mason] is a player’s coach, and full of energy,” Story said. “What I like about him, in addition to that, was when he was breaking down Caden’s film, [Mason] was telling him what he needed to work on and how he fits into what Auburn wants.

“Caden is so athletic to be as big as he is (6-4, 250 pounds),” Story said. “He is one of those kids where he always trained to be a quarterback, and outgrew the position, but kept the ability.”

For measured context on Harsin’s plan for Auburn through the lens of a parent of a future player, know that one of Story’s other sons, Kristian Story, is a sophomore defensive back for the Alabama Crimson Tide.

For appreciation on Cliff Story’s understanding of what it takes to succeed as a coach, realize that he is one of the best high school football coaches in the country. Is that a biased opinion? Yeah, probably so, but there is no one — literally no one — who can do more with less than Cliff Story at Lanett High School in Chambers County, Alabama.

Name another coach anywhere whose football workout facility is currently a charred heap of wreckage from a catastrophic fire, but, despite that major setback, started this high school football season on Friday with a 47-point victory.

“We kinda got out on them early,” Story said.

His burned down football facility, Story is hoping, will be rebuilt by next year. They still could use some help to build it back better than before, he says. Story is pretty good at building things. When it comes to respect, no one commands more of it than the guy who has built Lanett High School football and its athletics department into an example of what small-town schools can accomplish with love and dedication.

That’s the kind of spirit, built by unflappable people, that makes Auburn great.

Guy he almost apologized lol. he did brown nose the fans to get us off his butt...........grins

fifty, I respect you and appreciate you sharing articles from the interwebs here on the site, but I would be happy never seeing another article from this POS.

• WarTiger changed the title to Prominent voice on Harsin

Hope you enjoy copying and posting these articles we have all already read on al.com.

Not trying to bash.  But copy and paste is no yesterday.

• Dislike 4

Goodman used to be the average puff sports writer.  Now he’s trying real hard to be the woke,  “relevant” social commentator.    Fail.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, MaxCohen216 said:

Hope you enjoy copying and posting these articles we have all already read on al.com.

I see you're new around here?  Stick around and you'll figure this out, @aubiefifty is a certified public service provider.  Cut him some slack and smoke a bowl and you'll really enjoy him.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Dislike 1

14 hours ago, MaxCohen216 said:

the point is not having members go to different sites to get auburn news. but since you being so kind and concerned how about YOU helping out and post articles for a while. if you are not trying to bash i have no idea what you are trying to do. also i usually go to tigerland because it has the most articles overall.

Edited by aubiefifty
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, MaxCohen216 said:

I NEVER go to al.com.   I really appreciate @aubiefiftyand others for posting stuff from other sites.   It makes aufamily forum a “one-stop” source for our AU football and other sports fix!   If you’ve already read it, or not interested scroll past it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

Just now, AUpreacherman22 said:

I NEVER go to al.com.   I really appreciate @aubiefiftyand others for posting stuff from other sites.   It makes aufamily forum a “one-stop” source for our AU football and other sports fix!   If you’ve already read it, or not interested scroll past it.

he is right tho i do copy and paste. i am not a computer guy. and while some of you can copy a link in a second or two i have to do it the old way and sometimes it takes a while. i am not ashamed to admit i am puter illiterate. but i do the best i can for site because i enjoy it. and yes i get slapped around a couple times a year for it but as far as free news goes they are almost the only game in town anymore. more and more auburn friendly papers give you two or three articles a month then you pay. people are so quick to anger anymore. i just do not get it. and the people that bitch read the articles anyway and views are almost always in the hundreds. but i needed a break anyway.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

he is right tho i do copy and paste. i am not a computer guy. and while some of you can copy a link in a second or two i have to do it the old way and sometimes it takes a while. i am not ashamed to admit i am puter illiterate. but i do the best i can for site because i enjoy it. and yes i get slapped around a couple times a year for it but as far as free news goes they are almost the only game in town anymore. more and more auburn friendly papers give you two or three articles a month then you pay. people are so quick to anger anymore. i just do not get it. and the people that bitch read the articles anyway and views are almost always in the hundreds. but i needed a break anyway.

I appreciate what you do! No clue why someone would complain about it. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

Keep doing what you doing man. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

I appreciate how you do it. Does not give al.com the hits.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

11 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

@aubiefiftyI really appreciate what you do for us on a daily basis. I for one do not like to go to AL.com for my Auburn news. I come here and here only. Please continue to do what you do best....make this board fun. 

• Like 2

• 1 year later...