Why Auburn beats PSU

bigbird

4 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Let's try and keep the reasonings more X's and O's rather than "SEC < Big" type of takes.

IMO, One of the things that leans in our favor is the fact that their IOL is weak and just not very good. Our DL and blitz packages should create a lot of opportunities. I think we create enough pressure up front to control the game.

I wasn't aware that their IOL is weak so that's very encouraging. Especially since defense travels and is still likely the strength of our team. I love how versatile our defense can be and I love that CDM will be making the adjustments. Agreed, could be a big game for the Mondays and Pappoes. Looks like their QB pretty much a pocket guy? 477 yds passing to 71 rushing. Let's ring up a few sacks and maybe shake that ball loose.

Also, I know we have to score points, but if our defense can keep them under wraps then that takes some of the wind out of the crowd. 

Our RB rotation should be an advantage. We're still going to be punching them with fresh, powerful, talented legs in the 4th quarter. Maybe they can say the same but I doubt they've got a combo like Tank and Hunter (and hopefully Worm). 

Still not sure about special teams overall but Carlson is a plus for us. Every kick could matter in a game like this.

Demetris Robertson looks like that dude. Could be a major coming out party for him. 

• Like 3

I think we have a coaching staff that isn't going to wet the bed in big games. Harsin, Mason, and Bobo have all been around long enough, and have coached in enough hostile environments that we shouldn't go up there and have a total meltdown like we did every year in Athens during the previous regime. 

I'm concerned about Bo on the road and our OL play, but I'm confident that our defense will will play very well. 

I think Penn State will come out hot and it will be rocking at Happy Valley, so taking their first few punches and staying composed will be key.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

Let's try and keep the reasonings more X's and O's rather than "SEC < Big" type of takes.

IMO, One of the things that leans in our favor is the fact that their IOL is weak and just not very good. Our DL and blitz packages should create a lot of opportunities. I think we create enough pressure up front to control the game.

Our D-line has been putting in work. Our LB crew seems to be the best. I am just not impressed with our secondary like I thought I would be but they can change my mind this weekend. 

O-line needs to get their mean streak going now. Not so worried about the scheme. Guys need to make plays in space. The coaching staff sets them up very nicely it seems but guys have to make people miss 1 to 1 and make opportune plays. Also, the senseless penalties have to stop with the crowd . Penn state will be playing off their energy. The offense doesn’t scare me but their defense seems legit. 

• Like 3

Cliche but this will be won in the trenches. If our OL opens holes and we can run the ball + our DL can penetrate and create disruption, then we win. Whiteout or not. If we get beat up front our DL won’t have a chance and then we will have no chance. 

I think our linebackers can have a massive day and really increase their draft stock with a game like this. I hope our secondary goes out there with an attitude. Needs to be no fly zone. Make them beat us on the ground. 

I honestly think Bo will be more prepared to compete on the road. I don’t see a meltdown. He could play well and we still lose and that’s totally possible. 

Auburn can lean on the D and win 28-14 or so. If the defense isn’t up to task we won’t win, but I think they’ll be fine. 

Edited by woodford
  • Like 2

I am enjoying that we are rotating our RB's similar to what UGA does.  This pay dividends in the fourth quarter, especially if Shivers can return from COVID-19 protocol.  I think this will be a major plus for us.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

For me it all hinges on our OL, WR's catching the ball and which Bo shows up.  Coaches, RB, D and ST's are good to go.

2 good defenses, 2 offenses with question marks.   Should be a good low-scoring slugfest type of game.   Normally, the edge goes to the home team in these type games, but I’m a homer, so I say AU wins a nail-biter!

• Like 2

Until Bo proves his play at JHS can translate to playing on the road at that same level - then I am always going to be a little suspect with these road games - especially one of this caliber.  I will say that he does look like a different player so far this year, even compared to his home games in prior years, so that gives me some optimism.

• Like 6

Predicting a couple big rushes by Nix to keep the chains moving. Maybe by design or maybe of necessity. Sure, stay in pocket when there's a pocket. But don't be a dummy and give up sequential sacks while the O is adjusting to the defensive scheme. PSU may be caught off guard by such a mobile QB (i.e., the extra RB to account for). Then, a threatened run pulls DBs off receivers to open up those long passes. PSU could get real frustrated real fast.

4 minutes ago, CoachHypesHypeMan said:

Our QB can run the ball. Deceptively fast, but our OC has seemed to make it a point to not have him use his legs as much. He had a 60+ yard run last week. 

As far as the RB’s go we too use rotation and all 4 of our guys who have gotten touches are high caliber. Cain(21) is our starter and is gonna grind yards. Somehow never loses yards and always falls forward. He’ll get majority of 4th quarter snaps in close games. Doesn’t go down to arm tackles. 

Our receiver to watch is Jahan Dotson. He’s a threat in space and hard to tackle. If he’s in single coverage he’s gonna get open, it’s a matter of can Cliff hit him in stride on time. 

Really excited for the game and best of luck!

Welcome to the board! Hoping for a great game.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Barnacle said:

We are going to see them run Bo a lot more this weekend, IMO.

That is what I hope we do too, if Penn St keys in on Tank and Hunter. If they design some plays to get Bo outside, then that could open up the play action passes. 

Bo has to make good decisions, and his OL has to hold their ground. If they do, we win.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AuburnEagle79 said:

I think we have a coaching staff that isn't going to wet the bed in big games.

Harsin is actually a good coach (I think) and Franklin is not

That's my reason

Edited by W.E.D
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

That is what I hope we do too, if Penn St keys in on Tank and Hunter. If they design some plays to get Bo outside, then that could open up the play action passes. 

Bo has to make good decisions, and his OL has to hold their ground. If they do, we win.

Wait, *both* of those things have to happen?!? :(

Jk

• Facepalm 1

I watched some of both of their games. Here are my call outs. TWIW.

WR#5 - Dotson is a guy we have to watch. 

Noah Cain #21 is a stud RB and also the reason we fell behind in RB crooting under Gus. He put all his eggs in that basket and it didn't pan out. 

Their OL is not good from what I have seen. Even against lesser competition they don't get a lot of push. 

AU defense vs PSU offense = advantage us. I do think Mason is going to need to utilize more man coverage. Mix Zone in, but keep it balanced and keep them off guard.

I don't see much about them that stands out defensively except they play soundly across the board. No superstars IMO, but sound defensive football. 

I think if our OL can play decent, and Bo can not fall into road-Bo of old we win this game. Tank and Hunter going to eat. I also look for D Rob to have a big play on a sweep or reverse due to PSU playing over aggressively trying to get after Bo.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Harsin is actually a good coach and Franklin is not

That's my reason

I think Franklin is a pretty good coach. He took over a NCAA sanctioned team with a ton of scholarship reductions, and eventually he has won 10+ games at least 3 times. No, he has not won the conference, but I think tied once. 

I think the one area he has not recruited well is at QB, and that is where they have struggled. 

I like Harsin a lot, but he's only been a good coach in a league that can't compete top to bottom with the big leagues.

Harsin now has to show he is a good coach at this level now. I think he can, but proof will be in results.

2 hours ago, abw0004 said:

I am enjoying that we are rotating our RB's similar to what UGA does.  This pay dividends in the fourth quarter, especially if Shivers can return from COVID-19 protocol.  I think this will be a major plus for us.

Looking like he won't make it

Edited by WFE12
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2

To win, we need:

*A fast start. I’m still haunted by the first play vs UF in the swamp a couple of years ago. Just don’t do that. Start with positive plays. 
     *Create at least 2 turnovers. Nothing dampens crowd noise and confidence like turnovers.                                                
    *At least one big play from special teams: a great return, block a kick, make a pressure field goal.
    *2 or more sacks

AU 27-17 WDE 🦅 

Edited by Gowebb11
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, CoachHypesHypeMan said:

Our QB can run the ball. Deceptively fast, but our OC has seemed to make it a point to not have him use his legs as much. He had a 60+ yard run last week. 

As far as the RB’s go we too use rotation and all 4 of our guys who have gotten touches are high caliber. Cain(21) is our starter and is gonna grind yards. Somehow never loses yards and always falls forward. He’ll get majority of 4th quarter snaps in close games. Doesn’t go down to arm tackles. 

Our receiver to watch is Jahan Dotson. He’s a threat in space and hard to tackle. If he’s in single coverage he’s gonna get open, it’s a matter of can Cliff hit him in stride on time. 

Really excited for the game and best of luck!

Yeah we know about Cain I remember us recruiting him. I personally really wanted him but it worked out for both sides tbh. Good luck to him and y'all and hopefully he doesn't have too good of a game.

1 hour ago, steeleagle said:

I think Franklin is a pretty good coach. He took over a NCAA sanctioned team with a ton of scholarship reductions, and eventually he has won 10+ games at least 3 times. No, he has not won the conference, but I think tied once. 

I think the one area he has not recruited well is at QB, and that is where they have struggled. 

I like Harsin a lot, but he's only been a good coach in a league that can't compete top to bottom with the big leagues.

Harsin now has to show he is a good coach at this level now. I think he can, but proof will be in results.

For a lot of this, that's why I said "I think".  Yes, he has a chance to make a statement game this week.

Franklin is a better recruiter than he is a coach, IMO.  

1 hour ago, W.E.D said:

Harsin is actually a good coach (I think) and Franklin is not

That's my reason

I agree 1000%. Franklin is above average in my opinion, great motivator and got a lot out of Vandy, but I just don't think he's your consistent 10 win season coach.