2022 Softball Schedule

Due to the rotating league schedule, we don’t play Bama, LSU, Mizzou, and Ole Miss this year. The SEC is still a gauntlet regardless of who rotates on/off the schedule. 

The SEC is a gauntlet, but I would say we have a very advantageous schedule compared to last year. We drop Missouri, Alabama, LSU, and Ole Miss. Missouri returns their whole team, so I expect them to be really good. Alabama loses a lot in their lineup but has arguably the best pitching staff in the nation to carry them, plus they picked up Shipman from Tennessee. LSU was pretty young last year, so I expect to see improvement.Ole Miss is a wild card.

We pickup Florida, Georgia, South Carolina, and Mississippi State. Florida will be good and will be a hard to beat. However, the other three lose a lot of production and will have big holes to fill. Georgia loses their top two pitchers from an inning standpoint, including the one who beat Oklahoma. Carolina loses their top two hitters who were also their middle infield for the pst five years. State loses two of their top hitters and two of their top pitchers. 

I expect the other teams we kept on the schedule to be about the same or a little better than last year. Kentucky loses a lot of production in the circle, but they brought in a recruit who did really well playing for Team Italy in the Olympics. Texas A&M returns the majority of their lineup, and they should be improved with Snider in his second year as hitting coach. Arkansas will be really good again. They lost two of their best players in Burnside and Storms, but they picked Sides, Ellsworth, and Turner in the portal. Tennessee loses Shipman, but they return a lot of players from last year. Tennessee’s success depends on Ashley Rogers health, but they picked up two transfers to help out. 

Edited by Jad0003
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

CMD has upped the level in this year's Florida tournament, joining the Elite tournament, which includes UT, LSU, Texas, OK State, Michigan and others.  Se the video 

• Thanks 2

16 hours ago, OlderWhiskey said:

CMD has upped the level in this year's Florida tournament, joining the Elite tournament, which includes UT, LSU, Texas, OK State, Michigan and others.  Se the video 

Heck of a lineup. Probably on something paid to watch? Well I do see ESPN on logo, so maybe something more easily available. 

On 10/1/2021 at 10:26 AM, AUBwins said:

Heck of a lineup. Probably on something paid to watch? Well I do see ESPN on logo, so maybe something more easily available. 

In the past, every game from this event has either been on an ESPN channel or streamed on WatchESPN. It would be great to see in person, but tickets are hard to come by. I've also heard of overcrowding at every field (to the point parents can't get close to the field to watch their child). There were also issues with parking, concessions, and restrooms and being able to accommodate the large crowds. 

Fantastic field of teams, and I'm glad AU is part of it though!

• Thanks 1

On 9/25/2021 at 11:19 AM, Jad0003 said:

The SEC is a gauntlet, but I would say we have a very advantageous schedule compared to last year. We drop Missouri, Alabama, LSU, and Ole Miss. Missouri returns their whole team, so I expect them to be really good. Alabama loses a lot in their lineup but has arguably the best pitching staff in the nation to carry them, plus they picked up Shipman from Tennessee. LSU was pretty young last year, so I expect to see improvement.Ole Miss is a wild card.

We pickup Florida, Georgia, South Carolina, and Mississippi State. Florida will be good and will be a hard to beat. However, the other three lose a lot of production and will have big holes to fill. Georgia loses their top two pitchers from an inning standpoint, including the one who beat Oklahoma. Carolina loses their top two hitters who were also their middle infield for the pst five years. State loses two of their top hitters and two of their top pitchers. 

I expect the other teams we kept on the schedule to be about the same or a little better than last year. Kentucky loses a lot of production in the circle, but they brought in a recruit who did really well playing for Team Italy in the Olympics. Texas A&M returns the majority of their lineup, and they should be improved with Snider in his second year as hitting coach. Arkansas will be really good again. They lost two of their best players in Burnside and Storms, but they picked Sides, Ellsworth, and Turner in the portal. Tennessee loses Shipman, but they return a lot of players from last year. Tennessee’s success depends on Ashley Rogers health, but they picked up two transfers to help out. 

After seeing AU and Miss St in person I don't like the matchup for us. Pitching wise AU has the advantage but it's the only one I see. I really like their offensive approach and the defense looked solid. AU definitely seemed to have better newcomers so hopefully CMD is getting us back on track.

22 hours ago, RHN1975 said:

After seeing AU and Miss St in person I don't like the matchup for us. Pitching wise AU has the advantage but it's the only one I see. I really like their offensive approach and the defense looked solid. AU definitely seemed to have better newcomers so hopefully CMD is getting us back on track.

I will admit I did not watch State last season nor have I seen them this season, so I am basing my next statements on the data and previous knowledge.

I would give most teams, including State, the advantage over Auburn from an offensive perspective at this point in time. However, State had a three headed monster at the plate last year in Leilua, Spexarth, and Mia Davidson. These three accounted for 70% of their HRs and nearly 50% of their RBIs. Davidson is the only returning member of this trio, so State will need someone to replace Leilua and Spexarth’s production and protect Davidson in order to produce the same numbers.

No disagreements from a pitching perspective. Auburn returns it’s top 3 pitchers from a staff who was 4th in ERA in the SEC last season. 

In terms of fielding percentage in 2021, State was dead last last year in the SEC (.952), while Auburn was tied for 6th (.968). State’s fielding percentage has consistently been between .950 - .965 since Dean arrived, while Auburn’s has been above .965 every year outside of the shortened 2020 season. We will break in new players at 3rd, SS, and 1st, so I might give a slight advantage to State but not a very large one based on history.

Edited by Jad0003