Men's 2021-22 Season Discussion Thread

toddc

Can somebody who goes to the exhibition tonight give us good recap after it is over. Thank you in advance if somebody does.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, akillshot said:

Any way to watch the exhibition tonight?

Just saw this and no, but we had a thread on play by play.

12 hours ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

I did- see my post. I didn't know you changed the title, you outed yourself there 😂

My bad. You sounded slightly annoyed. And there are notes in the thread when a title is changed. I couldn't hide my mistake. lol

• Haha 1

Glad to see Flanagan get his flowers, hope for a speedy recovery. 

When you play small ball how effective they may be offensively is actually a big part of the defensive strategy. When I see us play a few games I'll give my opinion on what we may be in store for this season

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, cole256 said:

Glad to see Flanagan get his flowers, hope for a speedy recovery. 

When you play small ball how effective they may be offensively is actually a big part of the defensive strategy. When I see us play a few games I'll give my opinion on what we may be in store for this season

This year we have some big men that can score inside Kessler, Smith, Williams, and Cardwell but how they score inside and how the guards get the ball to them will show me a lot in the first few games. We have been told Kessler and Smith can shoot the outside ball so I also expect them to be able to pump fake and drive to score inside. Cardwell pretty much scored on dunks by working with Cooper they would make eye contact when Cardwell was outside then Cardwell would cut to the basket and catch at the rim and dunk.  I hope this years guards can do the same with Cardwell this year.  But what I really want to see is Smith, or Kessler, or Williams post down low seal their man and get a useable pass they can work with to score down low.  If we can establish a down low presence it really opens up the three and cutters from the other side if the big men can also pass when double teamed down low.

Other then Cooper and Harper who could feed players down low, we have had guards who could score themselves but none in recent history that had the vision and the passing ability to feed players the ball both with good passes and passes done at the right time.  

Guard play is the key this year as I truly believe we have the type of big men who can make a difference this year as long as we are able to handle the ball out front without turn overs, who can start the offense, feed the bigs and setup the outside shot while hitting outside shots to keep other team honest.

In todays basketball good guard play is paramount to how far a team can go. I have to admit the exhibition game last week scares me because of the turnovers even though they seemed to have corrected that in the 2nd half from what I have read.

1 hour ago, AuburnNTexas said:

This year we have some big men that can score inside Kessler, Smith, Williams, and Cardwell but how they score inside and how the guards get the ball to them will show me a lot in the first few games. We have been told Kessler and Smith can shoot the outside ball so I also expect them to be able to pump fake and drive to score inside. Cardwell pretty much scored on dunks by working with Cooper they would make eye contact when Cardwell was outside then Cardwell would cut to the basket and catch at the rim and dunk.  I hope this years guards can do the same with Cardwell this year.  But what I really want to see is Smith, or Kessler, or Williams post down low seal their man and get a useable pass they can work with to score down low.  If we can establish a down low presence it really opens up the three and cutters from the other side if the big men can also pass when double teamed down low.

Other then Cooper and Harper who could feed players down low, we have had guards who could score themselves but none in recent history that had the vision and the passing ability to feed players the ball both with good passes and passes done at the right time.  

Guard play is the key this year as I truly believe we have the type of big men who can make a difference this year as long as we are able to handle the ball out front without turn overs, who can start the offense, feed the bigs and setup the outside shot while hitting outside shots to keep other team honest.

In todays basketball good guard play is paramount to how far a team can go. I have to admit the exhibition game last week scares me because of the turnovers even though they seemed to have corrected that in the 2nd half from what I have read.

I think Green can become a decent floor general in time. I'm not entirely optimistic there'll be another great option there from the guards, at least until Allen gets back to speed, but I don't think Davion was a great facilitator here when he was the backup option and we certainly didn't have a wealth of options in the past two seasons there. Even during the final four season, Jvon didn't look great in that role until the end of the season

I like to think a facilitating by committee approach can work 

• Love 1