2023 Discussion Thread

Zeek

Juco kids aren't immediate help. Maybe one a class for all JuCO.  Took KZ until bis 3rd year to contribute and Coffey never will.

Idk a single juco player recently that was immediate contributor. None from 20 or 21 were

He was injured during part of this time. KZ

• Like 1

I wonder why the moved Jeremiah Wright back to DT.. Seemed like a good candidate for our OL... Since the DL is so much deeper, perhaps Harsin needs to pull a Tubs and switch some DL to OL...

According to Bryan Harsin, Wright requested the move.  He said he felt that was where he is best suited.  Harsin added that Brumbaugh is looking forward to working with him.

• Thanks 1

According to Bryan Harsin, Wright requested the move.  He said he felt that was where he is best suited.  Harsin added that Brumbaugh is lookingeed  forward to working with him.

I like that Harsin respected his wishes. 

• Like 1

We need to find 3, strike that, 5 Johni Broome like OL transfers.

For that to happen we need a Bruce Pearl like OL recruiter, which we don’t have 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Harsin hasnt had any recruiting momentum since he got here. On3 and some other sites have to tried to convince fans otherwise but it just hasnt happened. Theres a familiar cycle of optimism, then reality hits and the can is kicked down the road to “we’ll just load up with the portal or JC players. “ Then that doesnt pan out either and its hope a strong finish will magically convince these top players to come here over schools with proven coaches who develop players and win big games at the highest level. This is the worst Auburn recruiting I can remember. 

• Like 8
  • Facepalm 1
  • Sad 1

This is the worst Auburn recruiting I can remember. 

I'm hoping Harsin can pull off the opposite of Gene Chizik: a coach with no pedigree or previous program success somehow manages to land a class full of blue chip recruits a few years in a row but finds ways to lose and run the program off a cliff.

• Like 1

Probably came down to experience.  Wright has some game snaps at DL, none at OL. Our o line is pretty deep as well. Not the most talented but a lot of experience. 

Not after this year. We lose a ton of OL

• Like 1

Not after this year. We lose a ton of OL

Totally agree. I just saw in another thread though that apparently Wright requested the move back to defense. If we don’t get right on our o line recruiting, we may need to revert back to two way players. 😅

Related to the OL, anyone know what’s going on with Brad Bedell. He played OL in the NFL. You would think he would have at lease some impact on recruiting but he’s transparent there. Does he not have any recruiting responsibilities?

Funny you ask that, as someone asked that on On3 the other night. Last year, Brad was apparently the main recruiter for Riley-Ducker and M'ba, and landed both. Riley-Ducker in particular was one of the most impressive wins I've seen, as we plucked him from Iowa, TEU, outta their own backyard basically.

J-head said that his connections are mainly in Texas and Arizona. He is also apparently very well-respected in the Juco ranks and has a lotta connections there. I'm guessing that once we start to see Juco guys emerge the next few months, especially OL Juco guys, we'll see Brad's name pop up. He's a good recruiter. May not be saying much, but he's probably up there on our staff for it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

He was injured during part of this time. KZ

Right. And the other 7 we've signed in the last 2 years have done nothing yet?

Coffey was a similar ranking kid too out of JUCO and did nothing. We signed 2 higher than KZ and they did nothing. 

Our 3 '21 kids did nothing. 

JUCO just really seems watered down. Really hard to find anyone that true impact year one.  And ones that really are we're gonna be fighting Bama, UGA, USC, OSU, etc....we've seen how those have gone recently.

• Like 2

saw where the parker kid from PC decommitted from penn state.  we have any (mutual) interest?

Idk what our interest is unfortunately but I know Florida is after him heavily 

So even our own players don’t want to play OLine for AU?

0B3156D0-6D7E-46CE-97B7-DCF132275CA2.gif.f40ea74932aaa42b95e7b8b42227bd57.gif

Wright right now

Auburn on Tuesday offered Iowa State QB commitment JJ Kohl, according to On3's @RyanSnyder and confirmed through an Auburn source.

Kohl, who is the son of Jamie Kohl of Kohl's Kicking Camp, is from Ankeny, Iowa. He committed to the in-state Cyclones in April.

image.thumb.png.4e1510df1d93553cf0916ddfc8aa1c49.pngON3 really likes this kid-look how they rank him.

Edited by toddc
  • Like 3

Auburn on Tuesday offered Iowa State QB commitment JJ Kohl, according to On3's @RyanSnyder and confirmed through an Auburn source.

Kohl, who is the son of Jamie Kohl of Kohl's Kicking Camp, is from Ankeny, Iowa. He committed to the in-state Cyclones in April.

image.thumb.png.4e1510df1d93553cf0916ddfc8aa1c49.pngON3 really likes this kid-look how they rank him.

Do we “need” a 2023 qb?   Even if one of the top 4 go elsewhere after this year, still have 2024 dude coming.  Not bashing the offer but curious of the plan, I guess.  Maybe he’s got some corn fed buddies that play OL he can bring?

Do we “need” a 2023 qb?   Even if one of the top 4 go elsewhere after this year, still have 2024 dude coming.  Not bashing the offer but curious of the plan, I guess.  Maybe he’s got some corn fed buddies that play OL he can bring?

There is no annual limit on signees this cycle so as long as we stay under the overall 85 limit there's no reason not to take this guy if we can get him. It sure doesn't look like we'll be facing any sort of numbers crunch.

• Like 2

It sure doesn't look like we'll be facing any sort of numbers crunch.

Nope, we're essentially on self imposed scholarship sanctions.  We'll have low to mid 30s available once kids leave, go pro early, and transfer (lower rate than last year).

Most "insiders" are concluding yet another small HS class of less than 20 kids bc we are so far behind and how many quality kids are already locked up. Another 10 from the portal and we're short again. 

• Like 2

Nope, we're essentially on self imposed scholarship sanctions.  We'll have low to mid 30s available once kids leave, go pro early, and transfer (lower rate than last year).

Most "insiders" are concluding yet another small HS class of less than 20 kids bc we are so far behind and how many quality kids are already locked up. Another 10 from the portal and we're short again. 

That pisses me off that Auburn won't take advantage the ncaa lifting the 25 signee cap for this year.    We should be stocking up and replenishing the roster and get while the gettin's good. 

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

That pisses me off that Auburn won't take advantage the ncaa lifting the 25 signee cap for this year.    We should be stocking up and replenishing the roster and get while the gettin's good. 

Unfortunately it's not that we won't it is we can't 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Unfortunately it's not that we won't it is we can't 

Exactly, if Auburn had it their way they’d already have the 25 player limit. It’s not like they’re being super picky and just not taking guys, we’re just losing a lot of battles 

• Sad 1