Transfer Quarterbacks Being Tracked

Zeek

5 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

ZC definitely needs to be more accurate on intermediate routes and cut down on INTs. 

I am never going to say a QB can't get more accurate especially when they are under 63%, but TAMU lead the league in drops last year and the majority of those drops were intermediate passes so the stat sheet and charts make him look more less accurate than he actually he is. Even some of his picks were off the hands of WR that should have been caught.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, au302 said:

Like Riley and Steiners speed. Not up to par yet in their physicality in taking on blocks imo. Tisdol looks like a masher. Not sure what's keeping him off. But I agree, I think they have roles

That's big reason why they need more reps to better fend off those blockers. They just need experience. Talent is there for sure.

• Like 1

Just now, Tigerpro2a said:

Yea I can read stats.  I never said ZC had a higher completion percentage. I said he is more accurate. Even on the passes Nix completed, many were not in a good position for the WR to catch in stride causing minimal gains. I will say Bo improved this year by a good bit, but ZC still throws a more accurate ball to me on short, intermediate and deep throws. 

I am  not searching for it, but I went through 5 of ZC's worst games and broke down pretty much every pass. In a nutshell....Nix throws more uncatchable balls at every level than ZC.

I dont mean to be glass empty, but it's just hard for me to see us being better than a 5 loss team with Calzada.  He was 8-4 @ A@M last yr. Now if he has Georgia level talent D OR explosive skill level around him then maybe. AU needs a difference maker at QB not a game manager if they want to compete even in the west

1 minute ago, NWALA Tiger said:

I dont mean to be glass empty, but it's just hard for me to see us being better than a 5 loss team with Calzada.  He was 8-4 @ A@M last yr. Now if he has Georgia level talent D OR explosive skill level around him then maybe. AU needs a difference maker at QB not a game manager if they want to compete even in the west

I don’t think your glass is anywhere near half full.

2 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

. That's fair and it's your opinion and feelings. Let me ask you a couple questions, though. 

What about ZC's play and skills make you feel this way? What do you feel he struggles at?

We are going to have an elite defense by the looks of it. UGA just won a NC with a former 5'10 walk on on the backs of an elite D. Even this year with average QB play the back half of season we would have ended at worst 9-3 so what makes you think next year will be so much worse?

Just now, NWALA Tiger said:

Which is why I said glass empty

I misunderstood. I thought you said you weren’t empty and I was just agreeing and letting you know it didn’t sound half full either, a lot closer to empty.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Hank2020 said:

I misunderstood. I thought you said you weren’t empty and I was just agreeing and letting you know it didn’t sound half full either, a lot closer to empty.

2 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

. That's fair and it's your opinion and feelings. Let me ask you a couple questions, though. 

What about ZC's play and skills make you feel this way? What do you feel he struggles at?

We are going to have an elite defense by the looks of it. UGA just won a NC with a former 5'10 walk on on the backs of an elite D. Even this year with average QB play the back half of season we would have ended at worst 9-3 so what makes you think next year will be so much 

He was 8- 4 at A&M last year. AU defense this year will be good. Not sure any better than A&M last year. Georgia had a generational good defense. I just think to win championships , u need a difference maker at QB. Could he go 8- 4 this year maybe. But championship teams have QB that make a difference.  

Just now, NWALA Tiger said:

He was 8- 4 at A&M last year. AU defense this year will be good. Not sure any better than A&M last year. Georgia had a generational good defense. I just think to win championships , u need a difference maker at QB. Could he go 8- 4 this year maybe. But championship teams have QB that make a difference.  

Not sure what he struggles at specifically. He was ok except for Bama game, he was Johnny Unitas. I hope I'm wrong

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

You are right. They did have a generational defense, but that isn't the point. Our Defense last year was good enough to win every game except UGA, a half against MSST, and maybe PSU minus a (few let downs they played well). So our Defense was good enough for us to be at worst 9-3 thiss year if our QB doesn't go down. 

Not all NC has a difference maker at QB and UGA is a prime example as well as several Bama teams. A difference maker at QB is definitley a big help and can turn a mediocre team into a NC caliber team as we have seen with Cam.

You still haven't answered my main question though about ZC. What makes you think we can't win with him and the defense and team we have? All you said was his record at TAMU, but that is not all on him. What about his play makes you think this? What would you say his strengths and weaknesses are? Or you can be honest and say you haven't actually watched enough of him and you are strictly going off a stat sheet and team record and that is fine if that's the case. Hell that is what most people here do lol.

edit- I saw right after I posted this that you said you aren't sure what he struggles with. So your feelings are based solely off of stat sheet, TAMU record, and a bunch of message board posters' opinions. That's fair. Keep it that way. You will pleasantly surprised I think!

Edited by Tigerpro2a

3 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

You are right. They did have a generational defense, but that isn't the point. Our Defense last year was good enough to win every game except UGA, a half against MSST, and maybe PSU minus a (few let downs they played well). So our Defense was good enough for us to be at worst 9-3 thiss year if our QB doesn't go down. 

Not all NC has a difference maker at QB and UGA is a prime example as well as several Bama teams. A difference maker at QB is definitley a big help and can turn a mediocre team into a NC caliber team as we have seen with Cam.

You still haven't answered my main question though about ZC. What makes you think we can't win with him and the defense and team we have? All you said was his record at TAMU, but that is not all on him. What about his play makes you think this? What would you say his strengths and weaknesses are? Or you can be honest and say you haven't actually watched enough of him and you are strictly going off a stat sheet and team record and that is fine if that's the case. Hell that is what most people here do lol.

edit- I saw right after I posted this that you said you aren't sure what he struggles with. So your feelings are based solely off of stat sheet, TAMU record, and a bunch of message board posters' opinions. That's fair. Keep it that way. You will pleasantly surprised I think!

Well stats usually don't lie.. I mean folks keep saying his WR dropped alot of passes. His OL was terrible etc. I did watch several of his games.. Let me ask u, do u think he can put a team on his back and Win? U keep saying we could be 9-3 with him.  If that's your ceiling ok... I'm just saying, based on what I saw, he ain't a difference maker. 

32 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Do you really believe Stetson Bennett was a difference maker?   I know that UGA had a very good defense but it had it’s issues.   Alabama was able to exploit those in the SEC championship game but couldn’t in the final game due to injuries.   

It’s only my opinion but I believe calzada is just as good as Bo.   If Auburn can get consistent play with receivers, I think it will be a much better season next year.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Well stats usually don't lie.. I mean folks keep saying his WR dropped alot of passes. His OL was terrible etc. I did watch several of his games.. Let me ask u, do u think he can put a team on his back and Win? U keep saying we could be 9-3 with him.  If that's your ceiling ok... I'm just saying, based on what I saw, he ain't a difference maker. 

I think he instantly made our team better. I keep saying we would have been 9-3 at worst with him this year...2021...I don't know what our record will be in 2022, but I think it will be better than 6-6 or 7-5 as long as we do what I think and hope we do in the portal. 

Folks keep saying those things because they are true. He has been deemed inaccurate based off his stats alone. The games I watched, he threw very few inaccurate balls. That is what I am saying.

I don't think he is a difference maker, yet. I think he has the tools to be one. Let's keep in mind just how much better Nix got in 1 season under CBH...and Bo had 2 full seasons of starting prior. ZC has one season as a starter and he is already shown me a higher ceiling than Nix has yet. I look for him to get even better with this staff.

I am not saying what our ceiling is because it is way too early to tell. I will say that I don't know if there is a QB out there including CW that instantly makes us a NC contender. Now, with a couple key transfer pickups, I think we could absolutely be close with the DEF we should have.

• Like 1

Seen some opinions from posters on On3 today that in addition to Ashford, we're going to take a guy in the post-spring market. Hard to believe. If that is the case, I think it's because both TJ and DD leave, not just one, or because they're taking Ashford more as an "athlete" that could switch to receiver if one of them stays. Jmo 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tigerpro2a said:

I think he instantly made our team better. I keep saying we would have been 9-3 at worst with him this year...2021...I don't know what our record will be in 2022, but I think it will be better than 6-6 or 7-5 as long as we do what I think and hope we do in the portal. 

Folks keep saying those things because they are true. He has been deemed inaccurate based off his stats alone. The games I watched, he threw very few inaccurate balls. That is what I am saying.

I don't think he is a difference maker, yet. I think he has the tools to be one. Let's keep in mind just how much better Nix got in 1 season under CBH...and Bo had 2 full seasons of starting prior. ZC has one season as a starter and he is already shown me a higher ceiling than Nix has yet. I look for him to get even better with this staff.

I am not saying what our ceiling is because it is way too early to tell. I will say that I don't know if there is a QB out there including CW that instantly makes us a NC contender. Now, with a couple key transfer pickups, I think we could absolutely be close with the DEF we should have.

Tell them it looks like he might wear Bo's number 10.  Good miss direction.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, au302 said:

Seen some opinions from posters on On3 today that in addition to Ashford, we're going to take a guy in the post-spring market. Hard to believe. If that is the case, I think it's because both TJ and DD leave, not just one, or because they're taking Ashford more as an "athlete" that could switch to receiver if one of them stays. Jmo 

Thank you!

20 minutes ago, AUinMS9528 said:

Any word on any transfer portal QBs we may be interested in?   Or am I in the wrong thread?🤷‍♂️

Wrong thread Bro. This is the "Tell us how bad of a job this staff is doing" thread

Edited by jknighton
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Tigerpro2a said:

I am never going to say a QB can't get more accurate especially when they are under 63%, but TAMU lead the league in drops last year and the majority of those drops were intermediate passes so the stat sheet and charts make him look more less accurate than he actually he is. Even some of his picks were off the hands of WR that should have been caught.

I saw some of that in some of his film. 
there’s room for success but remember we are going to be not as strong at WR too. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, W.E.D said:

I'll be interested to see how Calzada does and my a slight different offense helps him. 

He has some warts, and is really bad comparatively on short and intermediate stuff. Better deep. So can he keep drives going or just been boom/bust. That worries me the most.

Regarding Calzada’s short and intermediate throws, from reading what a lot of TAMU fans said about him it wasn’t his accuracy that was the problem, but he would throw absolute missiles that were hard for the receivers to catch, like he was trying to throw the ball through a brick wall.   Hopefully the coaches can help him with getting some touch on the ball.  You can’t coach toughness and that is one thing he has in spades.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, steeleagle said:

ZC has only started 1 year now

He's a 3rd year player. Ppl comparing him to a true freshman and his stats is silly

18 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

we are going to be not as strong at WR too. 

We are?

Edit: just realized you might have meant not as strong as TAMU

Edited by McLoofus

56 minutes ago, aubaseball said:

Do you really believe Stetson Bennett was a difference maker?   I know that UGA had a very good defense but it had it’s issues.   Alabama was able to exploit those in the SEC championship game but couldn’t in the final game due to injuries.   

It’s only my opinion but I believe calzada is just as good as Bo.   If Auburn can get consistent play with receivers, I think it will be a much better season next year.  

Are there exceptions yes. Hence why I said Bennett had generational D.. Name 1 other QB who won  natty in last 10 yes that WASNT a difference maker

5 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Name 1 other QB who won  natty in last 10 yes that WASNT a difference maker

Jake Coker & Cardale Jones

Edited by jknighton
  • Like 1