Transfer Quarterbacks Being Tracked

Zeek

3 scholarship QBs this spring who haven't taken a snap in college plus a few PWOs. Our new OC has his work cut out for him.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, autan said:

3 scholarship QBs this spring who haven't taken a snap in college plus a few PWOs. Our new OC has his work cut out for him.

And 2 scholarship QBs who have taken many snaps. I realize neither of them have proven to be world beaters, but they're also both young and have the physical tools to play the position. That much we do know. 

• Like 1

I tend to think we are as good at QB this year as we were last year.   The O-line is basically returning even though we  lost Hamm I think Zierer will be better pass blocker that Hamm, Hamm was probably a better run blocker.  One key thing is if any of the freshmen or sophomores are ready to step up and beat out one of last years starters. Two years ago Council actually was pretty good then got hurt and did not look the same last year so with another year maybe is back to original form.

I keep on hoping Colby Smith is ready and is the answer at LT if so it would make a huge difference if we had a true SEC ready LT. 

10 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

I tend to think we are as good at QB this year as we were last year.

Don't know if we have a starter, but I bet we immediately have four backups better than QB2 was last year, and one of those four is going to be QB2 from last year. Finley will get better. I'm sure of it. 

I think Calzada, Finley with another year, Ashford and Geriner will all be better than 2021 Finley was. (I want so badly to say Dee Davis!) And I think at least a couple of those might have a higher floor than Nix did. I don't know if any of them will have his ceiling, but I'm not sure it matters because he almost never hit his ceiling against quality competition. 

If somebody can hit the deep throws, we're probably better. 

9 hours ago, autan said:

that's ok, as long as the other 2, CAlzada and Finley are still there.

That's pretty normal depth now a days at QB with the portal process around.

If Finley leaves after spring, Harsin needs to bring in a vet backup that may have lost his job in their spring at other schools. They will be out there...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tigerpro2a said:

I would take this 5 over the 4 we rolled out last year of Nix, Finley, Loy, DD

This. Don't forget we also had Sandberg and Garnett hanging around not too long ago too. I can understand arguments that Calzada/Geriner aren't as good as Nix, at least yet, but we're a lot deeper, even if it's not where Harsin wants it yet

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

Don't know if we have a starter, but I bet we immediately have four backups better than QB2 was last year, and one of those four is going to be QB2 from last year. Finley will get better. I'm sure of it. 

I think Calzada, Finley with another year, Ashford and Geriner will all be better than 2021 Finley was. (I want so badly to say Dee Davis!) And I think at least a couple of those might have a higher floor than Nix did. I don't know if any of them will have his ceiling, but I'm not sure it matters because he almost never hit his ceiling against quality competition. 

Bo's floor was losing to Ga State, so... we're definitely better than that now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, The Freak said:

Bo's floor was losing to Ga State, so... we're definitely better than that now.

I genuinely love when folks make my point better and with far fewer words. Appreciate it, for real. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Auburn 6 said:

Does this mean that we've given up on Caleb Williams or is he still a possibility?

Most likely USC

21 minutes ago, Auburn 6 said:

Does this mean that we've given up on Caleb Williams or is he still a possibility?

I don't think our staff gives up on a guy like that until it's literally impossible to sign him, but we here on this site should probably give up on him. 

26 minutes ago, Auburn 6 said:

We tried, but he was never a real possibility

We may have set our hopes a little too high. There are (were) a lot of talented 4* QBs with some experience in the portal. But seems we haven't gotten a look from any of them. Maybe they aren't (weren't) the right fit.  Let's keep the faith.

2 hours ago, McLoofus said:

I want to see DD too. Not writing him off until I see him in action.(if that happens).  Should be an interesting spring. 

4 minutes ago, AuMarine said:

I want to see DD too. Not writing him off until I see him in action.(if that happens).  Should be an interesting spring. 

I wanted to *say* his name, but I'm losing optimism that we're going to *see* him.

Davis could be his saving grace, though. Bobo, however ineffectual he was for us, did have a lot of experience coaching QBs at a very high level. But they were Matt Stafford and other guys that looked a lot more like Matt Stafford than like Russell Wilson.

Now we've got Russell Wilson's coach working with a guy who drew Russell Wilson comparisons in high school. And he hasn't gotten on the field with any of these kids yet. Maybe once he does, Davis sees something special in Davis, and Davis learns from Davis, and Davis and Davis have a great spring together. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

He was a real possibility

He didn't even visit. That's not a rea possibility. It's an extremely low possibility 

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

Evidently it doesn't matter how many times you or anyone else says it. 

I'm glad we tried. Glad he answered our calls.

Giy went on multiple visits and didn't come here. He was "real" in a sense he existed, but we were never really in the running

We were so in it, that he wouldn't even step foot in campus. Sorry, that's not being "in it".

Glad we tried

Edited by W.E.D

JT Daniels apparently taking his Dr. Pepper to the portal....

Georgia quarterback JT Daniels expected to enter the transfer portal

6VNV2FE7XFGI4FQHE5TYRHW6EE.jpg
1/10/22 - Indianapolis - Georgia quarterback JT Daniels leaves the field having not played at the 2022 College Football Playoff National Championship between the Georgia Bulldogs and the Alabama Crimson Tide at Lucas Oil Stadium in Indianapolis on Monday, January 10, 2022. Curtis Compton / Curtis.Compton@ajc.com

Mike Griffith, 

DawgNation Staff

ATHENS — Georgia quarterback JT Daniels is expected to enter the transfer portal after meeting with Kirby Smart, but he may remain enrolled at UGA until he graduates this spring.

Daniels looks to be the first domino to fall — but likely not the last — in the Bulldogs’ annual quarterback room shuffle.

https://www.dawgnation.com/football/jt-daniels-georgia-football-bulldogs/GDA6TYCXT5HF7M5T3XFSHAF4X4/

16 minutes ago, autan said:

Daniels is one of the few who could come to AU in the summer and be the starting QB in the fall.

If he could stay healthy, he could just about go anywhere and be the starting QB in the fall.