Depth

LPTiger

My favorite subject. Ball handlers. Guard depth. Imagine if Desi Sills were on the roster. Man. That's 4 ball handling, attacking guards. Not having him has us on thin ice with 3. Notice how the last 3 road games have played out. All tight, buzzer beater type games. Mizzou (Wendell hurt, returned but not 100%) won by 1, thuga (Jasper out) won by 2, Arky (Jasper out) lost in OT by 4. Lack of guard depth means KD and Wendell  get worn down. We can't pressure for as long as we'd like to. And It's not in their DNA to save some in the tank so to speak. Jasper needs to come back now. And when is Berman expected back?

• Like 5

1 hour ago, slyinsocal said:

My favorite subject. Ball handlers. Guard depth. Imagine if Desi Sills were on the roster. Man. That's 4 ball handling, attacking guards. Not having him has us on thin ice with 3. Notice how the last 3 road games have played out. All tight, buzzer beater type games. Mizzou (Wendell hurt, returned but not 100%) won by 1, thuga (Jasper out) won by 2, Arky (Jasper out) lost in OT by 4. Lack of guard depth means KD and Wendell  get worn down. We can't pressure for as long as we'd like to. And It's not in their DNA to save some in the tank so to speak. Jasper needs to come back now. And when is Berman expected back?

This is an awesome post, you bring up something I wanted to show people. Our depth and guys getting worn down. Even when zep comes back it will be an issue. Fatigue is a huge variable. 

Also why I feel looking at a few conference games can be fool's gold because the intensity and detail is so different it's almost like a different game. No different than how a pick up game is different than a church league game to a high school game to a pre season college game to a regular game to a conference game to the conference tourney game to the NCAA tournament. These games are all basketball but they play different. 

When a team only is preparing for you and only you are the focus plus on top now they will have a season worth of plays you ran and tendencies. 

So I don't know for sure but I'm going to factor in the upgraded intensity, the guys not being in this position before and it being new to them, the pressure of being the high seed (which is already effecting us) and the fact none of the guys seem to be natural ball handlers. 

Coach Ciampi would say if you're thinking and not operating out of instincts you are already in a more detrimental situation that you should be in. By tournament time you should be on cruise control as far as what to do. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, bigbird said:

I wish our 2's were better shooters.

Would help everybody out. Just like having a deep threat makes things easier for everybody on offense in football. It would give Smith and everybody else who attacks the goal room to operate. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Would help everybody out. Just like having a deep threat makes things easier for everybody on offense in football. It would give Smith and everybody else who attacks the goal room to operate. 

If Powell had stayed, he would've set shooting records

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Idk I'm still waiting for him to perform against quality guys. One thing I do know he would have a role here. It was dumb for him to go to Tennessee. Maybe he'll get more time because their PG is NBA bound. But knowing Barnes he's bringing in another blue chip PG. If he doesn't do anything else he's going to have a good PG running his team. 

Edited by cole256
I'm sorry imo I think it was dumb

1 hour ago, cole256 said:

Idk I'm still waiting for him to perform against quality guys. One thing I do know he would have a role here. It was dumb for him to go to Tennessee. Maybe he'll get more time because their PG is NBA bound. But knowing Barnes he's bringing in another blue chip PG. If he doesn't do anything else he's going to have a good PG running his team. 

Just as a catch and shoot guy, he would be hitting those bricks Cambridge is throwing

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Just as a catch and shoot guy, he would be hitting those bricks Cambridge is throwing

I know you're serious but reading your comment about the bricks made me lol 😂

18 hours ago, bigbird said:

You really think so?

My only worry is AF. He has gotten a little sloppy here lately . He is a good player but it’s almost like he is pushing it to hard and making sloppy mistakes . Green has a tendency to do the same at times as well as Cambridge. When things are good they hit on all cylinders but when it’s get tight they start pushing the envelope and making rookie mistakes. Notice the turnovers in the last two games versus the takeaways . I still think they have the talent to make the final 4 if they just settle back down and start having fun again. It really looked as though we were really short on assist last game. 🤔

And this latest game against A&M highlights another point I was trying to make with the turnovers. Watching that game you will feel that we still didn't play that well but look at the score. 

You see this is most teams against us as we are just more talented. We can play bad but still beat most teams. The only way teams are going to beat us is if we turn the ball over too much. Once of the main fifferences between this game and arky game is turnovers (other is free throw) if a team can't get us to turn the ball over even our ugly games our opponent still can't measure up. 

Imo turnovers is the only way we can really be beat, so that's why I was emphasising. 

Just offering an explanation and showing the logic of my opinion. Everybody is certainly entitled to their own. Also in my experience whenever I lost to a team that really wasn't in our class in talent and also the games where I won that we shouldn't have won the main reason was turnovers. 

• Like 3

On 2/9/2022 at 6:56 PM, bigbird said:

Some of the 2s decommits we had could’ve probably replaced him sufficiently, but it sucks when you literally had the one thing you really need and he leaves under some nonsense. 

HE would’ve been helped by being here more than anything

• Like 1

On 2/10/2022 at 1:02 PM, abw0004 said:

You really think so?

I know for the longest he was shooting far above 50% on catch and shoot threes here. Didn’t get many of them with being asked to be the primary shot creator, but he was virtually automatic. 

THOSE would be almost exclusively the type of shots he gets here. And those have been in abundance here, to say the least 

On 2/9/2022 at 4:15 PM, slyinsocal said:

Sills/Trey Alexander/Tyty/Scoot getting that scholarship instead of Preston Cook (not saying he doesn’t deserve it)…imagine 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Sills/Trey Alexander/Tyty/Scoot getting that scholarship instead of Preston Cook (not saying he doesn’t deserve it)…imagine 

You are missing the main guy. If we would've offered Mark Sears like I said. If Mark was on this team right now. Championship easy. I mean I think we win the championship now, at least I hope but Mark right now? No weaknesses

• Like 2

3 hours ago, cole256 said:

You are missing the main guy. If we would've offered Mark Sears like I said. If Mark was on this team right now. Championship easy. I mean I think we win the championship now, at least I hope but Mark right now? No weaknesses

You’re not gonna give up on this Sears guy I see 😂

8 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

You’re not gonna give up on this Sears guy I see 😂

I mean look at him now. I'm just saying

7 hours ago, cole256 said:

I mean look at him now. I'm just saying

I saw someone hype him up on Twitter the other day, didn’t know he played with Jason Preston at Ohio last season. My homie that loves lookin at lowkey draft prospects told me to watch more of them then, maybe I should start checking their squad out. 

47 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I saw someone hype him up on Twitter the other day, didn’t know he played with Jason Preston at Ohio last season. My homie that loves lookin at lowkey draft prospects told me to watch more of them then, maybe I should start checking their squad out. 

I've been writing about him on this thread. Yeah Preston was his mentor. You see what Grumps said only 4 people D1 has scored double digits every game this season. He's 20 5 4 his first year running the team. If he didn't do anything else he showed what I was saying but he can take this to the league he's outperformed what everybody said

Look at where we are weak at then look at him. He even shoot 90% from the free throw. 

Edited by cole256

2 hours ago, cole256 said:

I've been writing about him on this thread. Yeah Preston was his mentor. You see what Grumps said only 4 people D1 has scored double digits every game this season. He's 20 5 4 his first year running the team. If he didn't do anything else he showed what I was saying but he can take this to the league he's outperformed what everybody said

Look at where we are weak at then look at him. He even shoot 90% from the free throw. 

I will put forth the effort to catch one of his games before the season ends. I don’t think we needed specifically him as that last guard, but I do hope he succeeds as I do any underrecruited Alabama kid in basketball. It’s a state that I do think is producing better and better talent 

2 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I will put forth the effort to catch one of his games before the season ends. I don’t think we needed specifically him as that last guard, but I do hope he succeeds as I do any underrecruited Alabama kid in basketball. It’s a state that I do think is producing better and better talent 

He's our 3 guards in one player but he handles the ball better than all of them. The only guard that does something he doesn't is green's shot selection and some may feel that's not good. 

We need a ball handler who can dribble with both hands and facilitates. And a guard at the end of the game that's not nervous will get us in sets and will knock down free throws. 

Just wish he was a little taller but our guards aren't tall either. If nothing else depth would really help but there are plenty of YouTube videos on him. Look and see for yourself.

But I remember when they laughed at me and said he might be good at a community college or a D3. I think he's doing pretty good for himself so far

For the guys that play ball still I suggest trying out melo balls new shoes. Puma mb 01. They seriously may be the most comfortable pair of basketball shoes I've ever played in. 

Really try them out, check reviews on YouTube as well, I read about them and had high expectations but I was still blown away. I wasn't expecting them to be that comfortable. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, GTNupe11 said:

@cole256 Any way Sears hits the portal? And comes to Auburn?

Man this is all speculation from me. I don't know if Bruce would even want Mark. But I don't know why you wouldn't want him.

But me knowing Mark and me knowing his family history with Auburn and what I know as far as basketball if we had him right now it would be a match made in heaven. 

But I do know coach Pearl knows him and I know he's a legacy but that's all I really know. Also idk but you may have seen how some people laughed at me and said he wasn't that good, so you can imagine how satisfying that would be for me as well. 

I'm already smiling back saying not too bad for a community college player huh 😁

But actually I don't guess now is the time to talk about roster moves. I'll enjoy the team we have now!