2022 5* Wing/Big Julian Phillips Commits to Vols

ellitor

Same source also reports that JP is leaning towards college and that Auburn currently has a slight lead over UT... but family wants to meet with G league again...

Edited by AUreo
  • Like 1

On 5/9/2022 at 6:00 PM, AuburnbasketballGuru said:

Staff was told today he’s going to the g-league 

Yup. That's why he's openly communicating with AU & Vol staffs even today per Jamie Shaw on On3.

Swing And A Miss GIFs | Tenor

You don't openly communicate still with the losing staffs after a final call has been made.

He may end up in the G- League but the decision had not been made as of yesterday. He's meeting with the G-League tomorrow & word is the meeting is for them to up their offer to try to land him.

• ellitor changed the title to ***2022 5* Wing/Big Julian Phillips (Commit Watch: 5/12 11:30 AM CT)***
11 hours ago, War to the Eagle said:

Breaking news: LOBOS.

......sorry Golf.

Well you're not far off we're in his top 60

• Like 1

I'd rather he go to G-League than to Tennessee, but I'm still hoping that we can put together enough NIL money to make him want to come to the Plains.

• Like 1

I wonder how the other players on the team would feel if he came in with a better deal than all the rest of them? Seems like a good way to cause locker room issues. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, gravejd said:

I wonder how the other players on the team would feel if he came in with a better deal than all the rest of them? Seems like a good way to cause locker room issues. 

I doubt it'll become an issue. I mean, yeah, it could, but this is the world we live in now; I don't think any of the players will have ill feelings about who has the better deal.

17 minutes ago, gravejd said:

This was one of the big questions when the NIL business was first announced and it applies across all sports.

I'm wondering.... If I'm a grunt O-lineman with nothing but a scholarship, how interested am I going to be in protecting a QB who's getting a scholarship plus $50,000 a month for selling one autographed photo to a booster? Anyone who doesn't see the potential for problems with this situation isn't in touch with the real world.

• Like 2
  • Love 2

40 minutes ago, gravejd said:

Probably depends if he shares the wealth like I've seen other players doing.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Mikey said:

If I'm a grunt O-lineman with nothing but a scholarship, how interested am I going to be in protecting a QB who's getting a scholarship plus $50,000 a month for selling one autographed photo to a booster?

Most QBs with a lick of sense would know to share some of that wealth with the OL protecting him.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Most QBs with a lick of sense would know to share some of that wealth with the OL protecting him.

Julian Phillips is negotiating super big deals. If AU is able to out-bid his other options, how much do you think he will share with Stretch?

26 minutes ago, Mikey said:

I'm wondering.... If I'm a grunt O-lineman with nothing but a scholarship, how interested am I going to be in protecting a QB who's getting a scholarship plus $50,000 a month for selling one autographed photo to a booster? Anyone who doesn't see the potential for problems with this situation isn't in touch with the real world.

In the real world this happens to almost everyone. I've been a "grunt O-lineman" most off my working life and I'm not upset with the QBs of the places I've worked because they make more money. That's just real world stuff and everyone is not a CEO. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, gr82be said:

In the real world this happens to almost everyone. I've been a "grunt O-lineman" most off my working life and I'm not upset with the QBs of the places I've worked because they make more money. That's just real world stuff and everyone is not a CEO. 

The people you are working with aren't 18-22 year olds. Their brains are different.

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

44 minutes ago, ellitor said:

I agree,The NFL QBs learned to play that game a long time ago. 

• Like 1

Recruits of any sport...when they go to Knoxville and say things like, "the campus and culture and blah blah are great".  Did they actually make the trip, or were they just handed a bag of money at the airport and turned around?  Knoxville is a ****hole.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, ellitor said:

Probably depends if he shares the wealth like I've seen other players doing.

Are they gonna help him pay the taxes on it?

36 minutes ago, jluvah said:

Are they gonna help him pay the taxes on it?

No clue but I have alreaduy seen other college QBs doing things for their OLs from their NIL deals.

• Like 1

A blurb today on 247 on Julian Phillips:

"While most credible evaluators agree that Julian Phillips is one of the top prospects in the class, within the range, it is appropriate that there is a fairly diverse set of opinions. It all depends on your criteria, because his potential still exceeds his production. However, that potential is vast. He has positional size, skill, athleticism, and extreme fluidity. He shoots a soft ball and has all the physical tools necessary to be a competent defender. But, he’s not close to a finished product yet. There are still too many games that end without him making his mark in a manner consistent with his abilities.

I consider Phillips to be one of the best long-term prospects in the class, and on that criterion, he’s a top-10 guy in my opinion. However, on production to date, he’s not. When it comes to forecasting his immediate impact on the college level, that remains to be seen. I believe he’ll require some patience relative to a five-star prospect, but in the long-run, when we look back on this class, he could end up being one of the best."

Source: https://247sports.com/college/auburn/LongFormArticle/College-basketball-recruiting-rankings-247Sports-Adam-Finkelstein-players-higher-on-187416882/#187416882_2

3 hours ago, Mikey said:

The people you are working with aren't 18-22 year olds. Their brains are different.

Have you ever not been a bitter old man?

• Like 4

4 hours ago, gravejd said:

Outside of Traore who’s already friends with him, who would honestly think they should be getting paid as much as him? I doubt they pocket watched Jabari very much, who definitely got paid a good bit 

1 hour ago, Rednilla said:

Have you ever not been a bitter old man?

I don’t think it’s about being bitter.  I think it’s a reasonable concern about how the NIL monies will have unintended consequences - including the locker room .  I’ve been a long time detractor about pay to play for amateur athletics.  
At this point - now that it’s happened - I hope it wrecks the good ole boy, blue blood schools and hope we don’t get creamed in the process.

Edited by mustache eagle

3 hours ago, ellitor said:

No clue but I have alreaduy seen other college QBs doing things for their OLs from their NIL deals.

Got any real examples you can share? Really would like to know just exactly how much of the pie they are sharing.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, jluvah said:

Got any real examples you can share? Really would like to know just exactly how much of the pie they are sharing.

Never heard exact figures nor remember the names because I was too busy focusing on my workout when I heard it. Just remember different radio shows talking about QBs actually helping the OLs. Like I said earlier, they'd be dumb not to give them a little something. I know I would.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, mustache eagle said:

I’ve been a long time detractor about pay to play for amateur athletics.  

Could you do me a favor and define "amateur athletics"?