Softball vs Kentucky series

Leadoff double for Kentucky. Not that big of a deal since we have a 3 run lead. Just need to get the next out!

ANOTHER freaking error by Cox and a run scores. Please Bryant don't be injured too bad.

4-2 Auburn

Edited by tgrogan21

Single and runners on the corner. Now I'm worried.

Abernathy is the winning run at the plate and she had the walk-off on Friday and the homer yesterday.

The error finally bit us. That could have been an important series win. 

Just now, tgrogan21 said:

Seriously, Dean makes some of the dumbest in game decisions ever.

Yep.  2 girls have hurt us this series.  Coffel and Abernathy.  Penta was likely a better choice against Coffel but bringing more speed against Abernathy was not ideal.  Walk her and take our chances with the batter behind her. Crap.  We controlled the whole game except the 7th.

• Like 2

Stupid, stupid, stupid, stupid decision by Dean.

WHY THE **** DO YOU PITCH TO ABERNATHY?

3 Run Homer and Auburn loses 5-4

Just realized this was in the baseball thread. lol

This is a tough loss to get over because of how Lowe pitched after weeks struggling. If we don't fix these infield issues we're not winning much the rest of the way. Gotta find consistent fielders and Roach at SS and Cox at 2B won't do it.

3 minutes ago, tgrogan21 said:

This is a tough loss to get over because of how Lowe pitched after weeks struggling. If we don't fix these infield issues we're not winning much the rest of the way. Gotta find consistent fielders and Roach at SS and Cox at 2B won't do it.

Really miss Taylon at 2nd lol

I’m not sure what Dean could have done. 

if they walk Abernathy u put the tying run in scoring position w less than 2 outs. 

u should no problem bringing in a fresh arm knowing Lowe has had her struggles until today. 

its definitely subjective on his options. They all have pluses/ minuses. 

I agree I totally hate it for Lowe pitching a great game. 

• Like 1

We're going to have to look at another option at 2nd. Cox has been having alot of fielding issues lately. 

At least we would have been tied had Smith not gotten out on that steal attempt. 

• Like 2

Yea, just frustrating because a chance to win a top 15 series. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, TD1 said:

We're going to have to look at another option at 2nd. Cox has been having alot of fielding issues lately. 

At least we would have been tied had Smith not gotten out on that steal attempt. 

This is Cox's first time starting this season at 2B. She's only there because of the injury to Bryant. Don't know how serious that is, not until the team gets back home.

But we have to have better fielder's than what Cox and Roach have been giving us. They cost us this game and will continue to cost us if they don't improve. Peralta moving to 3rd has helped her out.

8 minutes ago, AUBwins said:

Yea, just frustrating because a chance to win a top 15 series. 

On the road as well...... just sucks but crap happens

• Like 3

Man, I hate that.  Thought we had this one.  Would have been a very good road win.  Not sure why Cox is having so much trouble.  Didn't she play second all last year?  . . . Had UK's runners been on 2d and 3d, I'd definitely walk Abernathy.  Can't do it with them on 1st and 3d.  5 errors hard to overcome.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, tgrogan21 said:

This is Cox's first time starting this season at 2B. She's only there because of the injury to Bryant. 

I wasn't clear in my statement., my apologies. I meant we'd have to find a temporary replacement until Denver comes back. Hopefully it won't be too long. 

I just feel like Cox was having issues at 3rd, if I'm remembering correctly. 

Cox fielded at .953 last year, and Bryant at .813 on limited chances (16).  Makenna Dowell was also at .953.  So it's inexplicable that suddenly she can't field the softball.   ???  Also, Taylon Snow never played second for us, always shortstop.  She's played second and currently first for OU.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, OlderWhiskey said:

Cox fielded at .953 last year, and Bryant at .813 on limited chances (16).  Makenna Dowell was also at .953.  So it's inexplicable that suddenly she can't field the softball.   ???  Also, Taylon Snow never played second for us, always shortstop.  She's played second and currently first for OU.

I was thinking Taylon at shortstop when Roach missed the ball under her legs. But I may have mentioned it with the error at 2nd.

2 of the Cox errors were when she was covering first on a bunt which is tough for everyday 2nd base players.  1 of those was throwing it into the base path by Peralta. But on to the next one. 

Going to take a while for me to get over this loss and state stores closed today.  I did not have a problem having Penta try to close out the inning.  The two hits she gave up (including the walk-off HR) appeared to be fat pitches.  Just two mistake pitches that a good hitting team like Kentucky could take advantage of.  The high point for me was to see the terrific effort by Shelby.  Would have been a fairy tale ending if she had been the winning pitcher.  We have a mid -week game (Wednesday) vs Alabama State and Florida at our place Fri-Sat-Sun.  They are 5-4 in conference with 1 loss to both Miss. State and Tex A&M and 2 losses to the Vols.  Get to watch Coach Walton spitting down at 3rd base coaching box. 

• Like 1