Mike Farrell on Harsin

AU-24

43 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

I actually think we win 7-8 the year, only because of the defense, and Tank/Hunter. But the way this guy is failing to bring in talent, we are spiraling to a point where we will be lucky to beat Miss St in the future. 

MSST has a better coach than we do... 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ThurstontheWelshCorgi said:

Gus just snagged another 5 star running back out of the portal and a 5 million cash infusion at ucf in the past 48 hours, fanbase feelings aside, he himself wouldn't even entertain the idea of coming back to the gauntlet of sec west football -- 

I disliked what Gus become at Auburn. But i love the Gus he is being now. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, GunsmithAU said:

I disliked what Gus become at Auburn. But i love the Gus he is being now. 

he seems to be in a good place and enjoying life again. the wheels are slowly starting to pick up pace on the bus down there -- plus he can literally break a leg, lose to navy and still maintain positive momentum recruiting wise towards yielding positive fruit in Orlando 

22 minutes ago, ThurstontheWelshCorgi said:

he seems to be in a good place and enjoying life again. the wheels are slowly starting to pick up pace on the bus down there -- plus he can literally break a leg, lose to navy and still maintain positive momentum recruiting wise towards yielding positive fruit in Orlando 

He was that way here too. We had some great classes with Gus. Def could have used more linemen though.

In spite of the negativity Gus received from AU fan base (much of it probably deserved) the guy could recruit and close deals.

• Like 2

Gus would laugh at the thought of coming back here. I fear we are going to wish he was still here within the next couple years. 

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, autan said:

In spite of the negativity Gus received from AU fan base (much of it probably deserved) the guy could recruit and close deals.

His recruiting was decent, but way overrated. He failed miserably to recruit OL for his entire tenure here. He had one solid OL class in 8 years. He relied on WR/DBs to boost ratings that often times were over ranked due to playing at small schools and never materialized at the CFB level. He failed at QB recruiting. He failed to recruit to his system. It is what it is at this point. I will give you Gus was decent at recruiting, but not as good as many believe.

As for Harsin and the current state of our program, I am in wait and see mode because that is the only way I can keep from being in total despair about it right now. I am hoping that success on the field this year will yield results on the trail. I actually think we end up with a better record than most so that is where I hedge my bets.

• Like 8
  • Love 1

Farrell's opinion doesn't mean anything, but at the same time I don't buy the narrative that the media has a hatred for Auburn. 

From most outside perspectives AU football doesn't look to be in a great place right now. Bad end to the season last year, an offseason of turmoil and drama with our head coach, We ended up with a decent 22' class, but have a 2023 recruiting class that is off to a very slow start with only 2 commits. 247 has AU as the lowest ranked P5 school in the country and some of our top targets seem to be getting a lot of pressure from other big schools and are moving back their planned commit dates. 

As of right now I can't blame anyone who thinks things will fall off the rails for Auburn football this next season. Hopefully we'll get some good early wins, have some things go our way with players developing, and recruiting will pick up and recover as a result, but that's not a guarantee by any means. 

1 hour ago, augolf1716 said:

That 5* RB has been to Clemson then transferred to the Gators in those two years he had a total of 23 carries 113 yards. He was told to leave the Gators. Three teams in three years. Great pick up by Gus :-\

Don’t you go putting anything into context dammit.

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

His recruiting was decent, but way overrated.

No greater proof of that than this years NFL draft. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, alexava said:

Gus would laugh at the thought of coming back here. I fear we are going to wish he was still here within the next couple years. 

That is silly and I don't know why any Auburn fan would want Gus back anyhow. Have some self respect. Even at UCF, with all that stockpile talent, he went 5-3 in conference play. So no, I do not want to return to paying someone top tier money and being above average or just good enough. Something he was quite frankly okay with doing.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, e808 said:

I agree regarding the new coach. All of your studs will be pretty much gone after this season. Unless someone emerges. 
However, I don’t think Boise would take CBH back as he started to rub some people the wrong way.

If Avalos doesn't win I bet they would hold their nose and do it. He was still winning about 10 a year on average despite pissing some folks off. A lot of people think he may go to ASU if both he and Herm get canned. I could see him enjoying his family and drag racing for a few years and seeing what happens with Avalos. Maybe become an NFL scout or something, as scouting seems to be one of his strengths. Regardless, he'll be fine. Just hope he's fine here, lol

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

No greater proof of that than this years NFL draft. 

How can that be said when the argument was guys that could have left but  decided to stay be applied one way but not the other.

The funny part the guys that came back plus the new ones that get drafted will all be from the previous staff.

No Gus shouldn’t be allowed to return. He had his chance

Edited by e808
  • Like 1

I know this is a miserable idea to some of y’all but there needs to be patient. I know that is the antithesis of the “fanatic.” It is so interesting to see the dynamics of fans at the pro and college level who want it all now. Thank goodness we aren’t all GMs , ADs, Owners, etc. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, AU-24 said:

yeah it was big, but not big enough to bring Harsin in. I said what do you mean? They said: he again spent very minimal time with recruits, left it up to the assistant coaches and others.

I don't believe this one bit if they were official visits. Unofficial visits sure.

8 hours ago, alexava said:

I fear we are going to wish he was still here within the next couple years. 

no-michael-scott(1).gif.d0b2251bd31807db7cae71cb7d7211c8.gif

Edited by Didba
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, autan said:

Eh, he was good at getting high class ratings, alot of times the high stars guys weren't good fits or had other issues and transferred out.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, GunsmithAU said:

MSST has a better coach than we do... 

Mike Leach is a great coach, generally an extremely intelligent but very weird dude.  You think Harsin is hated at AU, Leach would have been lambasted here.

NGL, I love ML, his offensive scheme is dang near unstoppable if he has the right QB

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, DAG said:

I know this is a miserable idea to some of y’all but there needs to be patient. I know that is the antithesis of the “fanatic.” It is so interesting to see the dynamics of fans at the pro and college level who want it all now. Thank goodness we aren’t all GMs , ADs, Owners, etc. 

Patience is key in most things in life.  Wish I had more patience in all things.

• Like 1

I would say it is the reverse. There was so much damage done over the last 5 years, Harisin's "hard medicine" is pulling us forward. It odes not mean Harsin survives, but we needed a cleansing, a purge, a burning away of the chaff. Harsin is doing this. Gus and Terry were of the same mold. That is not what is needed now.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 1