Hardline Qualifications for next HC

AUght2win

2 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

Yes.  He has other issues that are well known, but he checks those boxes.

I agree. As far as his NCAA baggage? Did he have a show clause like Bruce? I can't remember.  The NCAA is irrelevant in this age of NIL.. It will be lawsuit city if they try to enforce anything now

Edited by NWALA Tiger

2 minutes ago, woodford said:

I wish Muschamp wasn't so inept at being a HC. He would be perfect at Auburn.

I agree.  My gut thinks Auburn could end up being the perfect fit for Muschamp to finally break through as a HC.  I know he'd recruit well.  But the track record at FL and SC is the track record.

• Love 1
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

I agree.  My gut thinks Auburn could end up being the perfect fit for Muschamp to finally break through as a HC.  I know he'd recruit well.  But the track record at FL and SC is the track record.

Yep. I wish I could sugar coat it and make excuses, but he doesn't seem to be a competent CEO. Helluva DC. One of the best in his era.

Perhaps if he had taken a G5 job instead of Florida he could've worked out some kinks and found his groove. We'll never know.

9 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

His offense improved from dreadful at Florida to mediocre at s carolina. Maybe it could be decent at Auburn with a killer defense.

However I mentioned Bill O'Brien before the Harsin hire and still think he could be good here. He took a devastated Penn St program (post Sandusky) and made them a pretty good team after losing several star players due to sanctions.

31 minutes ago, JMassie11 said:

Too much is hung up on proven HC throughout power 5 conferences. A lot of people are pointing to Freeze which would be disastrous and just another black eye on the program. Go ahead and mark off Kinsbury, Franklin, Kiffin etc because those don’t happen. To be successful in this league it’s more who you know and the ability to act more of the CEO of the team and have coaches and players buy in. Harsin has had the right mentality but we will never see what 4 years to try and build the program to be. You either go after Stoops or Sanders at this point. If you don’t we will be stuck with Helton.

Black eyes go away if the black eye wins.  Freeze might make an unethical choice. I don't care what the media says if they are criticizing a coach that could help us win.  The media liked Harsin. 

Edited by Auburn93

9 hours ago, Didba said:

How do you feel about Coach Prime

If we want somebody to recruit with Saban and Smart then this is the answer.   Give him a great OC and DC and let him be Prime.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Auburn93 said:

Kind of like Bo Nix, Terry Bowden, Muschamp, etc. 

Not to that extreme.  But maybe act like he gives a rip.... Not like he is at a funeral visitation. Would that be ok?

41 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

I’d hope being with Kirby’s program the last two years has given him the insight of being a better Head Coach. But who knows. I would be a fan of a Muschamp hiring. 

9 hours ago, Didba said:

How do you feel about Coach Prime

His gig as a coach is a temporary toy, a novelty for him to try. He's not a coach by profession. He doesn't coach football for his livelihood. While his name is known as a player he is unknown in coaching circles. He can and sooner or later will move on to other pursuits. He has absolutely zero qualifications for a job like Auburn's.

Compare Sanders to Dell McGee. Dell has a great background in SEC football, is one of the top recruiters around and is well known and respected in coaching circles. Given a choice between only those two, Dell gets the job hands down based on resume alone.

I'm not saying McGee should be our man but he's one of dozens who would be a better pick for Auburn than Sanders.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

3 minutes ago, Taco said:

I’d hope being with Kirby’s program the last two years has given him the insight of being a better Head Coach. But who knows. I would be a fan of a Muschamp hiring. 

He could also get T Rob off that Bama staff and back to Auburn. 

• Like 1

Qualification: a coach that will accept an extreme performance based contract

$500k per regular season G5 non-conference win

$1M per regular season conference/P5 win

$2M per post-season win

Front the first $5M. All performance based, no buyout on both sides. Inflate at 3% annually.

Potential annual salary of $16.5M this year, will be pushing $20M when the CFP expands

Harsin would have made $4.5M last year

Gus would have made $8.5M in 2017

Chizik would have made $14.5M in 2010

Edited by BigBlueWDE

38 minutes ago, Auburn93 said:

Black eyes go away if the black eye wins.  Freeze might make an unethical choice. I don't care what the media says if they are criticizing a coach that could help us win.  The media liked Harsin. 

We don’t need any scandals of sexual nature here. I will not be on board that this at all.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, BigBlueWDE said:

$2M per post-season win

Front the first $5M. All performance based, no buyout on both sides. Inflate at 3% annually.

Potential annual salary of $16.5M this year, will be pushing $20M when the CFP expands

Literally never going to happen.  Not a coach worth having at the P5 level that would accept such a deal, nor an agent that would let them.

17 minutes ago, Mikey said:

His gig as a coach is a temporary toy, a novelty for him to try. He's not a coach by profession. He doesn't coach football for his livelihood. While his name is known as a player he is unknown in coaching circles. He can and sooner or later will move on to other pursuits. He has absolutely zero qualifications for a job like Auburn's.

Compare Sanders to Dell McGee. Dell has a great background in SEC football, is one of the top recruiters around and is well known and respected in coaching circles. Given a choice between only those two, Dell gets the job hands down based on resume alone.

I'm not saying McGee should be our man but he's one of dozens who would be a better pick for Auburn than Sanders.

I agree.  I don't know that coaching is a "toy" for him - I think he really likes it and wants to be good.  But literally the only reason anyone is talking about Deion is name recognition and that he managed to pull one big time recruit to JSU with the help of NIL money.  He has nothing even close to the kind of experience and track record that would warrant such a huge jump from lower tier FCS to Auburn.

• Like 2

We have to get someone that can turn things around very quickly.

The AU PTB do not have the patience to hire an up-and-comer and wait for him to grow the program.

IMO, the only guys that could do that are Kiffin, Freeze, and Prime Time.  I have my doubts that Prime Time could match the coaching prowess of Nick Saban or Kirby Smart, just because they have tons more big game experience than he does.  But he sure could recruit with them, I'd think. 

I'm afraid the Monken OC at UGA, or other up-and-comers, would not be given enough time to grow the program.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, BigBlueWDE said:

$2M per post-season win

Harsin would have made $4.5M last year

Gus would have made $8.5M in 2017

Chizik would have made $14.5M in 2010

One thing I would structure would be a buyout reduction based on underperformance.

Start with a 5 year contract.

The first year is a bye.

You start your second season with a 4 year guaranteed contract with a 4 year guaranteed contract buyout.

You have to get 7 wins in the regular season, or one year drops off of your buyout guarantee. I realize this is not perfect, because some years you could have sub-par non-conference opponents or sub-par conference opponents.

Win 7, you start your third season with a 3 year contract with a 3 year guaranteed contract buyout. Win 6, and you start your third season with a 3 year contract with a 2 year guaranteed contract buyout.

I might also structure the annual raises around winning 7 games.

By the third year, if a coach is doing well, they are going to get an extension. If not, they are probably on the hot seat.

12 minutes ago, cole256 said:

You'd be crazy not to after Sanders

There are plenty of non-crazy reasons not to make Sanders your top target.  I mentioned a couple of them.  No matter how you slice it, you elevate Deion from a 3rd year FCS coach to a P5 job with SEC title and national title aspirations in the mix, you're taking a tremendous flyer, even with the name recognition and swagger.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

There are plenty of non-crazy reasons not to make Sanders your top target.  I mentioned a couple of them.  No matter how you slice it, you elevate Deion from a 3rd year FCS coach to a P5 job with SEC title and national title aspirations in the mix, you're taking a tremendous flyer, even with the name recognition and swagger.

Yeah come up with the 2 or 3 and you'd still be crazy not to consider him

1 hour ago, AU80cruiser said:

His offense improved from dreadful at Florida to mediocre at s carolina. Maybe it could be decent at Auburn with a killer defense.

However I mentioned Bill O'Brien before the Harsin hire and still think he could be good here. He took a devastated Penn St program (post Sandusky) and made them a pretty good team after losing several star players due to sanctions.

He would be awful. imo. Alabama's offense leaves much to be desired under him. Iron Bowl last year? UT game two weeks ago?

He's been a step down from Sark.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Yeah come up with the 2 or 3 and you'd still be crazy not to consider him

Now, I can agree with that.  I'd consider him.  There are multiple names on the list that to me would warrant making say no before you get to where you seriously go after him.  Now, the longer he keeps doing well and out recruiting JSU's history (or if he takes a bigger job and continues being successful), the more you move him up that list when anyone in the upper half of a P5 conference is looking to hire a new HC.

We sort of did this once before in hiring Terry Bowden from Samford based almost completely on his last name and it was too big of a gig for him.  I don't think we want to repeat that mistake personally.

But you know it might be that none of the more experienced names we want will come or that we can't stomach the baggage (ex. Freeze) and then you look at the potential for Deion to inject some energy into things.  Who knows?

• Like 1