Hardline Qualifications for next HC

AUght2win

1 hour ago, AUinMS9528 said:

I think FSU has a good coach.   I don’t think they’re going to get rid of him any time soon.   JMHO.  

It's why despite competing against them for recruiting, I'm still pulling for them this year. We do not want Prime at FSU.

Ultimately, I just think he has enough $ now to where he won't go anywhere.

Oh, and @shabby: I see I've managed to convert someone.

image.gif

19 hours ago, AUght2win said:

I, and a lot of us, weren’t worried about Harsin transitioning to the SEC. Thought that wouldn’t be that big of a deal.

Speak for yourselves

• Like 1

11 hours ago, AUDevil said:

I’m just curious what kind of new factions and alliances on the AUFam boards will be formed over the next 6 months based on which coach is rumored to be hired.

If we end up going 4-8, or similar, at least we’ll ALL be on the same page that a change is needed.

Always an ebb and flow. Let the middle school drama begin. 

1 hour ago, AUinMS9528 said:

I think FSU has a good coach.   I don’t think they’re going to get rid of him any time soon.   JMHO.  

Norvell is in his third year. His first year he was 3-6. His second, 5-7. People were calling for his head.

Now he is 3-0.

But yes, Norvell was a high potential Power 5 head coaching prospect. He was Group of 5 head coach at Memphis. He was Gus Malzahn's successor as OC at Tulsa after being one of Malzhan's graduate assistants. He got Power 5 assistant experience at Pitt and Arizona State before becoming Memphis' HC.

It has taken him time to grow into being a Power 5 HC.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Carnell said:

Talent gap closure won't mean much unless you get a coach that can give them a winning game plan and scheme.  We were so outmatched in coaching staff that even if we had bettsr talent we still would have lost that game.  You have got to have both a game coach and a coach that can recruit.  You cannot separate the 2 components.  

Coach O won a damn title because he can recruit.  The HC doesn't do a ton of scheme work or scouting.  That's what assistants are for.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

38 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Coach O won a damn title because he can recruit.  The HC doesn't do a ton of scheme work or scouting.  That's what assistants are for.

This. The HC sets the tone, hires the right guys and lets them do their thing. The elite guys are the guys that are killers on the recruiting trail. Our previous staff couldn’t stop meddling and the current one appears to do nothing well, sadly 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, AUCE05 said:

I can already tell I am going to be disappointed 

Man isn’t this the truth?  We are going to work ourselves up on here then the AU money is going to go with a guy like Lashlee.  It’s a near certainty and it’s aggravating.  

13 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

If you think that a HC doesn't do a lot as far as establishing and coordinating game schemes and gameplans that is fine.  But I remember Bowdens assistant coaches talked about the Kaos in coaches meeting the HC wouldn't make any decisions and chime in on disagreements.

Furthermore, what type of assistants do you think a coach that hasn't paid his dues to be at a big time program will get.

Edited by Carnell

9 minutes ago, Carnell said:

Furthermore, what type of assistants do you think a coach that hasn't paid his dues to be at a big time program will get.

Exactly.

32 minutes ago, Carnell said:

what type of assistants do you think a coach that hasn't paid his dues to be at a big time program will get.

Those who are confident and, do not need or want, to be micromanaged?

The days of the tough guy, alpha male, my way or the highway coaches are over.  We have entered a new age and, it's just beginning. 

Harsin was a perfect fit for,,, Boise.  Auburn is not Boise. 

The qualities that made great coaches in the past are not the same qualities that will make a coach great today, particularly in the most competitive division, in the most competitive conference in college football. 

25 minutes ago, icanthearyou said:

The days of the tough guy, alpha male, my way or the highway coaches are over.  We have entered a new age and, it's just beginning. 

Harsin was a perfect fit for,,, Boise.  Auburn is not Boise. 

The qualities that made great coaches in the past are not the same qualities that will make a coach great today, particularly in the most competitive division, in the most competitive conference in college football. 

You can’t be serious with this.   If you don’t think Saban and Smart are not alpha males, you don’t have a clue.  Ryan Day, Harbough and plenty others are alpha males.   Being an alpha doesn’t mean you can’t possess other traits.   

Just now, aubaseball said:

You can’t be serious with this.   If you don’t think Saban and Smart are not alpha males, you don’t have a clue.  Ryan Day, Harbough and plenty others are alpha males.   Being an alpha doesn’t mean you can’t possess other traits.   

Possibly, probably.  But,,, the average "alpha" is simply someone covering up massive inferiority issues.

• Facepalm 2

17 hours ago, cole256 said:

It's hilarious to me that it 's just assumed he can't coach. People will jump on a guy that hasn't done anything and say he's a coach but down a guy who was one of the greatest players of all time and assume he knows nothing

I’m for Prime 

He hasn’t coached much, that doesn’t mean that he can’t coach. I can understand why people think that his lack of experience is a factor.

But for me, he absolutely knows the game of football inside and out. His years as an analyst are the proof IMO.

He also knows what makes an athlete tick, which will make him one of the best recruiters in the SEC. 
He would be his own man, He would shoot straight and his players would respect him.

He would bring a ton of interest from the media which would bring  our brand instant respect from high school players from all over. 
He knows his limitations, so he would be self aware enough to hire great coordinators.

I just hope that he’s interested if we contact him. 

18 hours ago, AUgrad97 said:

I believe there are a lot of good choices out there that would be interested in a no-handcuffs opportunity.  I keep saying and I know it's beating a dead horse but the Who is not the critical piece here.  It's reprograming the internal structure and power grab to be able to hand that over to a trusted coach.  Auburn has to be able to convince the right coach they will be given the keys and fuel to the car without having it pre-programmed where the car is going.  

That's not a flashy discussion and even more challenging to impact as a fanbase, but without that piece, the who does not matter.  We will be set up to fail again.  We need to hear the leadership say we are going in a different direction philosophy wise and structure to let someone have full control of the program and the team.  

Yes. There are no guarantees period. But the process has to be better. We as fans are already hiring and firing a coach. Hopefully the PTB are working on the process of hiring a capable AD and then developing a search team and the criteria to give the hiring team the greatest possibility of success. Everybody has to row the boat in the same dadgum direction for once, and that means the captain has to give the orders. To everyone. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Carnell said:

If you think that a HC doesn't do a lot as far as establishing and coordinating game schemes and gameplans that is fine.  But I remember Bowdens assistant coaches talked about the Kaos in coaches meeting the HC wouldn't make any decisions and chime in on disagreements.

Chiming in and making final decisions isn't the same as doing the bulk of the gameplanning.  Surely you understand that difference.

As for assistants, look at Deion's assistant pool right now at JSU.  Its better than most Group of 5 programs.  Litetally these are things that a quick google search can show you before you say something.

DC - Former DC of the Bills

AHC - 30 years of experience, including SEC

OC -up and comer like Joe Brady was for LSU

OL -Former SEC coach

DL - Former NFL coach

ST - Former NFL player, came to JSU from an FBS program

• Like 1

2 hours ago, icanthearyou said:

That is incorrect. I think every single team in the top 10 are coached by alpha males except for maybe Dabo. Alabama, Georgia, Michigan, Ohio state, Ok, KY, USC, OK st, Ark … 

2 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

That is incorrect. I think every single team in the top 10 are coached by alpha males except for maybe Dabo. Alabama, Georgia, Michigan, Ohio state, Ok, KY, USC, OK st, Ark … 

If you say so.  What characteristic makes them "alpha"?

18 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Chiming in and making final decisions isn't the same as doing the bulk of the gameplanning.  Surely you understand that difference.

As for assistants, look at Deion's assistant pool right now at JSU.  Its better than most Group of 5 programs.  Litetally these are things that a quick google search can show you before you say something.

OL -Former SEC coach

DL - Former NFL coach

Not to mention analysts and former players that come and spend time with the team

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

OL -Former SEC coach

DL - Former NFL coach

I  looked at the OC and DC earlier today and was impressed without looking at the assistants....great staff for a smaller program 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, icanthearyou said:

If you say so.  What characteristic makes them "alpha"?

for one, they want to win at everything. everything is a competition with alpha types and they wanted to win at everything, typically.

5 minutes ago, fasttimes said:

for one, they want to win at everything. everything is a competition with alpha types and they wanted to win at everything, typically.

That's a competitive person but not necessarily an alpha