I Voted Republican for the First Time & Here is Why...

AUFAN78

18 minutes ago, Leftfield said:

Many Greeks, Romans, Persians, Mayans, Egyptians, Ottomans, even British said the same things about their deities, and they lasted far longer than 250 years.

Do you not see that your view is part of what is causing so much division? One of the founding principles of this country was religious freedom. Do you really believe the government should now change that and impose belief in your God on others?

Nobody is imposing anything on anybody. They have to make that choice on their own. They are free to worship as they wish. Not the same as a country honoring God. Some of those countries did honor God, and they thrived. When they rejected Him, they destroyed themselves.  

• Facepalm 1
  • Dislike 1

2 hours ago, jj3jordan said:

Nobody is imposing anything on anybody.

How about we let PUB answer first?

They are free to worship as they wish. Not the same as a country honoring God. 

Well actually, it is. If someone believes in another higher power, or none at all, then they don't believe in your God. They may respect Him, but that doesn't mean they think our government should be based on Him.

When they rejected Him, they destroyed themselves.  

The British and Romans were the only ones on that list that had significant numbers of believers in your God. Are you saying the British rejected Him? And many believe the rise of Christianity actually helped cause the downfall of the Roman Empire. 

Edited by Leftfield
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Leftfield said:

Many Greeks, Romans, Persians, Mayans, Egyptians, Ottomans, even British said the same things about their deities, and they lasted far longer than 250 years.

Do you not see that your view is part of what is causing so much division? One of the founding principles of this country was religious freedom. Do you really believe the government should now change that and impose belief in your God on others?

I believe totally in religious freedom and no established state church. However, I do support the Judaic-Christian principles this nation was founded upon which has made it great.

Do you not see that the suppression of Christianity by the Democrats and liberal left is one of the major reasons we are  divided? The NDP has even removed any reference to God in their platform.

14 hours ago, pensacolatiger said:

I’ve never seen a “Christian” that hates Christians like this guy.  We get it, you choose your country over your God, and you think babies aren’t living brings til their born.

I have never encountered someone so prone to twist their religious beliefs to fit a political narrative in all my life.  If you are a preacher, I’ll pray for your congregation.  And God help them if you find more commandments to twist.

My leader is Jesus, not the church, not the bible, not politicians.

My "ideology" is love and mercy.

I do understand the basis of your opposition.  I do not understand you desire to misrepresent my beliefs.

1 hour ago, PUB78 said:

I believe totally in religious freedom and no established state church. However, I do support the Judaic-Christian principles this nation was founded upon which has made it great.

Do you not see that the suppression of Christianity by the Democrats and liberal left is one of the major reasons we are  divided? The NDP has even removed any reference to God in their platform.

"Judeo-Christian" principles are not unique to Christianity. Many societies and religions throughout history have shared the bulk of those principles. Do you believe a person must be Christian to be moral?

The removal of references to God is not suppression. It is embracing those from all walks of life and showing no favoritism toward a specific religion. Referring to God, while ignoring those of other or no religious beliefs, is a tacit establishment of Christianity as our country's primary religion. How would it make you feel if you lived in a county of majority Islam, and everywhere you looked the platform of politicians referred to the principles of and belief in Allah? Even if you were never the target of overt oppression (doubtful because of how many humans are), you would never feel like you were on a level playing field with the rest of that society. You would never feel completely welcome. 

I fully understand that there are people on the extreme left that go far overboard on this and treat with disdain those that are religious (which is completely counter-productive to what they're trying to accomplish), but in general I believe the move to stop promoting Christianity as the primary religion in our country is being misinterpreted as an attack, rather than a full acceptance of all people.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, PUB78 said:

"the suppression of Christianity by the Democrats and liberal left"   :slapfh:

1. Do you think the first amendment is a "suppression of Christianity"?

2. Do you think supporting and defending the first amendment is a suppression of Christianity?

3. Should the NDP have a right to extend the principles of the first amendment (separation of church and state) to their (political) organization?

4. If a political party excludes atheists, is that a "suppression of Christianity"?

This is why you people are so dangerous.  You say one thing and then act as if you didn't really mean it. 

Frankly, I don't think you "get it" at all.

Edited by homersapien

52 minutes ago, homersapien said:

"the suppression of Christianity by the Democrats and liberal left"   :slapfh:

1. Do you think the first amendment is a "suppression of Christianity"?

2. Do you think supporting and defending the first amendment is a suppression of Christianity?

3. Should the NDP have a right to extend the principles of the first amendment (separation of church and state) to their (political) organization?

4. If a political party excludes atheists, is that a "suppression of Christianity"?

This is why you people are so dangerous.  You say one thing and then act as if you didn't really mean it. 

Frankly, I don't think you "get it" at all.

I laugh at “you people are so dangerous “. How long have you been paranoid?? 

58 minutes ago, Leftfield said:

"Judeo-Christian" principles are not unique to Christianity. Many societies and religions throughout history have shared the bulk of those principles. Do you believe a person must be Christian to be moral?

The removal of references to God is not suppression. It is embracing those from all walks of life and showing no favoritism toward a specific religion. Referring to God, while ignoring those of other or no religious beliefs, is a tacit establishment of Christianity as our country's primary religion. How would it make you feel if you lived in a county of majority Islam, and everywhere you looked the platform of politicians referred to the principles of and belief in Allah? Even if you were never the target of overt oppression (doubtful because of how many humans are), you would never feel like you were on a level playing field with the rest of that society. You would never feel completely welcome. 

I fully understand that there are people on the extreme left that go far overboard on this and treat with disdain those that are religious (which is completely counter-productive to what they're trying to accomplish), but in general I believe the move to stop promoting Christianity as the primary religion in our country is being misinterpreted as an attack, rather than a full acceptance of all people.

You make some good points , Lefty. I certainly agree with most of your comments.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, icanthearyou said:

My leader is Jesus, not the church, not the bible, not politicians.

My "ideology" is love and mercy.

I do understand the basis of your opposition.  I do not understand you desire to misrepresent my beliefs.

What have I misrepresented?  I’ve only mentioned things about you that you’ve mentioned before.

1 minute ago, pensacolatiger said:

So I seek to better understand you and you cast an uneducated insult?  When will we get to meet the peace and mercy version of you?

Sure, that's what you are doing.  See what I mean?  You are not honest.  I wish you well.

17 minutes ago, icanthearyou said:

Sure, that's what you are doing.  See what I mean?  You are not honest.  I wish you well.

I take no offense because you don’t know me from Adam.  I wish you neither ill nor well, but look to understand if you’re leading people to Christ or away from him.  

7 minutes ago, pensacolatiger said:

but look to understand if you’re leading people to Christ or away from him.

I do not lead anyone.  I follow Jesus to the best of my ability.  My only goal is to serve the will of Jeusus and, try to reflect His love, mercy, grace a little better, day by day.

And, I truly do wish you well.  I pray your heart finds peace, joy, love, contentment.  

I had to look this guy up and of freaking course he's a contributor to the Federalist. This sort of "I was liberal but then the liberals got a little too woke so I've changed all my positions on the economy, race, foreign policy and abortion" is their stock-in-trade. 

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, AUDub said:

I had to look this guy up and of freaking course he's a contributor to the Federalist. This sort of "I was liberal but then the liberals got a little too woke so I've changed all my positions on the economy, race, foreign policy and abortion" is their stock-in-trade. 

Clay Travis 2.0

1 hour ago, icanthearyou said:

I do not lead anyone.  I follow Jesus to the best of my ability.  My only goal is to serve the will of Jeusus and, try to reflect His love, mercy, grace a little better, day by day.

And, I truly do wish you well.  I pray your heart finds peace, joy, love, contentment.  

That mighty kind of you, thank you.  I thought one of the guys mentioned you are a pastor.

2 minutes ago, pensacolatiger said:

That mighty kind of you, thank you.  I thought one of the guys mentioned you are a pastor.

There really are no teachers, no pastors other than Jesus.  Jesus in our hearts is all that matters.  Knowing Jesus is the goal.  

Imagine the world if,,, everyone lived in the love of Jesus.  

32 minutes ago, icanthearyou said:

There really are no teachers, no pastors other than Jesus.  Jesus in our hearts is all that matters.  Knowing Jesus is the goal.  

Imagine the world if,,, everyone lived in the love of Jesus.  

Yes - that is our goal as Christians!  We need to be very wary of false teachers though, Christ warned us many times.

3 hours ago, homersapien said:

Dodging my questions, huh?

Understandable. 

1. No( but it is interpreted differently)

2. No (see above)

3. Yes

4. No

21 hours ago, PUB78 said:

1. No( but it is interpreted differently)

2. No (see above)

3. Yes

4. No

To recap, questions were"

(your response)

1. Do you think the first amendment is a "suppression of Christianity"? No

2. Do you think supporting and defending the first amendment is a suppression of Christianity? No

3. Should the NDP have a right to extend the principles of the first amendment (separation of church and state) to their (political) organization? Yes

4. If a political party excludes atheists, is that a "suppression of Christianity"? No

First, I now realize I may have express question (3) incorrectly.

Let me rephrase it:

3) Does the NDP adapting the same principle/value as expressed in the first amendment regarding religion, constitute an effort on their part to "suppress Christianity"?

So how do you respond to that?

Edited by homersapien

4 hours ago, homersapien said:

To recap, questions were"

(your response)

1. Do you think the first amendment is a "suppression of Christianity"? No

2. Do you think supporting and defending the first amendment is a suppression of Christianity? No

3. Should the NDP have a right to extend the principles of the first amendment (separation of church and state) to their (political) organization? Yes

4. If a political party excludes atheists, is that a "suppression of Christianity"? No

First, I now realize I may have express question (3) incorrectly.

Let me rephrase it:

3) Does the NDP adapting the same principle/value as expressed in the first amendment regarding religion, constitute an effort on their part to "suppress Christianity"?

So how do you respond to that?

No