2023 3* OT Tyler Johnson Flips from Texas Tech to AU!

Zeek

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

We seem to be in line to get an unusual number of flips. I think this is related to Harsin not recruiting a number of guys who were otherwise interested in Auburn. Now that the interest is there, maybe more will come "home".

This is definitely a kid who wanted to be here but Harsin wouldn’t give Friend the okay. Despite desperately needing OL.

1 hour ago, AUnCullman said:

Not to steer away from topic but when does recruiting window and transfer portals end for this period? Just wondering when Freeze is going to get a break. Dude has been so busy he has to be worn out. 

Portal is 60 days from the time it opens (CFP teams announced) so another 44 days or so?

High school has early national signing day is the 21st and most players sign then. We will be working hard to get kids by then or convince them to wait for NSD which is February 1st. 

College football coaching is one of the most year round jobs there is. They won’t be with their families much until close to spring ball. There are some dead periods but even then they’re working. Just in Auburn mostly.

Not to mention public engagements, coaching clinics, player camps, evaluations, etc.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Portal is 60 days from the time it opens (CFP teams announced) so another 44 days or so?

38 days. Closes on January 18th.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Zeek said:

College football coaching is one of the most year round jobs there is. They won’t be with their families much until close to spring ball. There are some dead periods but even then they’re working. Just in Auburn mostly.

Unless they're in Mexico

• Haha 6

43 minutes ago, AEAugirl said:

Portal guys can sign whenever, or do they have to wait until at least ESD?  

@ellitorCorrect me if I’m wrong!!  45 day window which started last Monday, and 15 day window beginning of May.  So anytime in those 2  windows they can sign. I believe. 

Edited by TXaubie

We got an Offensive Tackle!!!  This calls for a dancing banana. :bananadance:

WAR DAMN EAGLE, Tyler Johnson!! 

Edited by TXaubie
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, TXaubie said:

We got an Offensive Tackle!!!  This calls for a dancing banana. :bananadance:

WAR DAMN EAGLE, Tyler Johnson!! 

:party:and this guy. 

• Like 1

• Zeek featured this topic
2 hours ago, TXaubie said:

@ellitorCorrect me if I’m wrong!!  45 day window which started last Monday, and 15 day window beginning of May.  So anytime in those 2  windows they can sign. I believe. 

@TXaubie I’ll check again later, but the last I saw she is right. They can sign at any point as long as they’re in the transfer portal. The windows are for times they can enter the transfer portal. Doesn’t pertain to when they sign.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Zeek said:

This is definitely a kid who wanted to be here but Harsin wouldn’t give Friend the okay. Despite desperately needing OL.

SMDH

So unbelievable.  I still can't get over that.  What was his philosphy for recruiting?!? The more you hear, the more it looks like he was purposefully taking the program down and just waiting to cash out.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, ellitor said:

@TXaubie I’ll check again later, but the last I saw she is right. They can sign at any point as long as they’re in the transfer portal. The windows are for times they can enter the transfer portal. Doesn’t pertain to when they sign.

Follow up from an ESPN article. I’ll quote and link it later.

Do players have to transfer during the new windows?

No. The windows are meant for players to enter their names into the portal, which is different from actually transferring. Once their name is in the portal, they can transfer whenever they want as long as they are able to gain admissions and meet academic requirement dates.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Follow up from an ESPN article. I’ll quote and link it later.

Do players have to transfer during the new windows?

No. The windows are meant for players to enter their names into the portal, which is different from actually transferring. Once their name is in the portal, they can transfer whenever they want as long as they are able to gain admissions and meet academic requirement dates.

Thanks!!  Your awesome!!  

9 hours ago, bigbird said:

Not sure we've ever had anyone that understands recruiting like Freeze or at least work it as hard as he has so far

I agree. He has always been known as a tireless recruiter. Something that I've always noticed too is that the doubters have always brought up his off the field issues but one thing they never say is he can't coach. Hell, Paul Finebaum hates Auburn more than anybody and even he said he would rank Hugh Freeze a top 4 coach in the SEC right now.

Something just keeps telling me that if Freeze and staff can get the talent here, and they will, then the hardest part will be behind them. Because they'll be coached up, I'm confident about that. 

I recently made a post talking about how this football programs path is eerily similar to our men's basketball path. From a good coach in Cliff Ellis and Gus, to absolute garbage coaches of Barbee and Harsin, now to coaches who lost their former SEC jobs and came to Auburn with something to prove and that's Pearl and Freeze. The paths of both programs almost mirror. WDE

• Like 7

On 12/11/2022 at 8:55 AM, Zeek said:

Pow! Flipped from Texas Tech to Auburn. I was frustrated when the previous staff wouldn’t commit to getting this kid. Huge frame and tremendous upside. Only started playing football a few years ago.

Noting your last sentence, the Zeirer experiment may explain previous staff's reluctance in this case. 

1 hour ago, aucanucktiger said:

Noting your last sentence, the Zeirer experiment may explain previous staff's reluctance in this case. 

Ya. It would mean they would actually have to work for their pay check.  They werent about that. 

• Thanks 1

Great pickup at a position of need with Johnson, Wedin, and Joyner we already have one of our better HS O-Line classes in recent years. This speaks to how hard Freeze and the new coaches are working and how bad last couple of staffs were in O-line recruiting. Need at least 2 more HS O-Line in this class and then hit the portal.   Getting back to Tyler Johnson welcome to Auburn and War Eagle. 

Edited by AuburnNTexas
  • Like 1

• Zeek unpinned this topic