Pearl, Over the Top!

DKW 86

p1_pearl-ap.jpg

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/bask...t.ap/index.html

KNOXVILLE, Tenn. (AP) -- Tennessee coach Bruce Pearl sat in the student section Monday night for the tipoff of the game between the fourth-ranked Lady Vols and No. 1 Duke.

He was shirtless and his chest was painted in orange with a "V" for Volunteers on it.

Coach Pat Summitt appeared to acknowledge him and gestured enthusiastically at Pearl.

Some of the men's players were with Pearl, spelling out "Go Vols" on their painted chests.

Duke won the game 74-70 behind 24 points from Amy Waner.

The Blue Devils started the year 20-0 for the second straight season and got victory No. 20 by handing Tennessee only its 17th loss in Thompson-Boling Arena, which opened in 1987.

Early on it looked like it could be the worst loss ever for the Lady Vols in their home arena, but Tennessee (17-2) rallied from as many as 21 points down in the first half to tie it at 48 with 10:48 remaining.

Duke then ran its lead back to nine, but Tennessee kept chipping away and made the final minutes tense for both sides especially the large and raucous orange-clad crowd.

Lindsey Harding scored on a drive with 1:37 left to put Duke ahead 70-63, but Tennessee went 2-of-4 at the foul line and Candace Parker scored to cut it to 70-67.

The Lady Vols' last chance came after Alberta Auguste hit a 3 with 6.1 seconds left to cut it to 72-70, and they immediately fouled Harding. She made both free throws to ice it.

Duke is one of only nine teams to win in Thompson-Boling and only the fifth of those to win more than once.

Harding added 21 for Duke while Wanisha Smith had 15. The Blue Devils were 14-of-15 from the foul line. Tennessee was only 8-of-17.

Parker led the Lady Vols with 22 points, but was 1-for-7 from the foul line. Alexis Hornbuckle added 19 and Sidney Spencer had 13.

I agree TM, I saw the highlight last night of Pat kissing him on the cheek but I didn't know it was him. I kept wondering there was an old dude painted up in the UT student section.

Fulmer could have been the V, O, L and S all by himself...

I liked what Pearl did...good on him for doing that.

That is pretty dang cool. Don't know if I would have went the shirtless route, but that is just me. Otherwise, I applaud that much enthusiasm and fire in supporting all athletics at your school and not just the program you are a staff member of.

I appluad his enthusiasm, but question his methods.
My thoughts exactly...

Just be glad it wasn't Fulmer.

And just when I was getting comfortable. :puke:

Oh come on, the guy's in great shape for a guy half his age. I love to see this guys enthusiasm. How many coaches around the nation do you think would ever do something like this? This guy (and the game last night) have brought me out of my basketball apathy. I'm so ready for the rest of this season, win or lose.

Archived