Saving seats in the student section

AUTigerCourt

Geez, insulting a fraternity brings out blind loyalists worse than WarTiger when you complain officials.

My brother ranked #8 last year in athletic event attendence. Yes, they do keep track. He is not greek, but does he not deserve a reserved seat? What has someone else done that proves themselves better?

Its a great incentive but it also corrupts the intent of community service if it is only to guarantee better seats at a football game. Doing good things for a reward is called a job, not community service. There are organizations on campus that on a per capita basis do more community service in a year than fraternities would do in a decade. But they are made up of diverse members and don't require under threat of expulsion or physical, emotional or social harm, the blind loyalty and dedication.

This argument will never be solved. Those that aren't greek see in the injustice in it. Those that are greek enjoy the position and unfortunately the system is to engrained to change. Personally, I think the seats down lower suck anyways and its hard to see. I'd rather be on the end or up behind the band in the corner. And I didn't have to pay money to have someone be my friend either. Win-win situation.

The fact of the matter is that the community service is getting done one way or the other. How many pre-meds, pre-health, pre-whatever do community service just to fluff their application? How many people do community service just to feel better about themselves and could care less about the people they are helping? How many people are sentenced to community service as part of some sort of punishment for breaking a law?

The answer is a lot of people do community service for other reasons than the common good of man. However, in the process people still benefit by the "volunteers'" activities, regardless of their motives.

I agree. Yes, it is not volunteer work. It is free labor. There is nothing volunteer about 95% of community service. Yes, regardless of the motives people benefit.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I found this interesting:

Season ticket sales

Bama hasn't sold many more season tickets than we have, which means they must sell a lot of single game tickets. Also, their season tickets cost less than ours (smaller required donation). I'm not saying we need to copy Bama or anything like that, just that I think if we adjusted the way we sell tickets we could have higher average attendance. We sell out single game tickets for the bigger games pretty quickly (LSU, UGA) and can even manage to sell out other games when opposing schools return their unused tickets. I think this year we could post 5 sellouts (Clemson, S Car, Ark, LSU, UGA), which out of 8 games isn't bad.

I do think that if Auburn expanded JHS in the next few years and maybe reduced ticket prices slightly, we could mostly fill up the stadium and expand the student section. Though we haven't posted as many sellouts as other big schools, we've had a good bit since 2004 (21 I think) and that should get better as the team (and the economy) gets better. We sold out Clemson this year, and Bama and West Virginia last year. Kentucky was very close to being sold out, Miss State was close, and Ole Miss probably would have been if it hadn't been in a morning with bad weather. I do think that we will soon see an expansion at JHS, at least closing in one of the endzones with an upper deck. I would love to see that happen just because we definitely need some more student seating, even if only a couple thousand more seats.

From what I understand(I may be wrong) Bama uses a point system where you also have to buy tickets to other sports to keep your standing or move up. So while their football donation may be lower they pay more when you factoring in buying tickets to all the other sports.

I think attendance also fluctuates due to the quality of watching games on TV has improved over the years and with the tailgate restrictions occuring on campus. I know I've talked to many fans who used to have season tickets at Auburn for many years who just got fed up with Auburn pushing them further and further off campus and the convience of watching games in HD at home and not having to deal with parking, heat, getting home after midnight and able to watch other games during the day.

I think Auburn should do what Georgia does with their student section and put the overflow into the 2nd deck above the student section. Those are always the last tickets sold or giving away to special halftime performers so just make them student seats.

Expanding the student section, whoa, is someone listening to us? ;)

Dear Auburn Students,

As you know, Coach Chizik challenged the Auburn Family to go All-In last week for the Clemson game. You, our student body, answered the call by showing up early, staying late, and being loud throughout the game. This Saturday, No. 12 South Carolina is visiting Jordan-Hare Stadium at 6:45 p.m. in a game that will be televised nationally by ESPN. Due to the magnitude of this game and the expected student turnout, we will open the student gates at Jordan-Hare Stadium at 4:15 p.m., 30 minutes earlier than normal, to allow students more time to enter the stadium and find a seat.

We have set aside a limited number of seats in the east upper deck that we are making available to you, our students, as an alternate option to sitting in the student section. If you would prefer to sit in the east upper deck in an assigned seat where it is not as crowded, you can pick up a voucher at the Auburn Athletics Ticket Office, located at the Auburn Arena, on Friday between 8 a.m. – 4:30 p.m., on Saturday between 10 a.m. – 4 p.m., or at the student concourse of Jordan-Hare Stadium starting at 4:15 p.m. Students who choose the option to sit in the east upper deck, must present a valid Auburn Ignited card at the Ticket Office. Students using these vouchers must enter the stadium through the student entrance gates and present their valid Auburn Ignited card to gain entry to the stadium (a valid Auburn Ignited card is required for all students entering Jordan-Hare Stadium). Students with the voucher will then proceed to the south end of the student concourse to the ramp that leads to the upper deck, show their voucher and gain access to the ramps leading up to the east upper deck.

Auburn Athletics Department

I think last week they actually had to direct some students to the upper deck because the student section had filled up so quickly. I hope they realize that this is a continuing issue, and maybe keep offering that until they come up with an expansion plan. I'll be sitting in the upper deck this Saturday, so excited =)

Archived