Admit it America. We're all racist.

CShine

Based on the response to my USA Basketball column last week, the rock I threw -- the one that claimed the over-the-top hatred and criticism of Team USA was partially a product of America's collective bigotry -- bounced off a lot of dogs' butts. There was just too much barking for no one to have been hit. I've never heard so much whining in my life.

First of all I didn't read his previous article. So I don't know what he had to say other than this snippet.

But I will say this. If by observing these self absorbed millionaires playing basketball and saying they had no heart, or they didn't play well together. Or they got their butts kicked by less known players and teams. Or the best players were not playing for the US. If those statements make me a racist, then I guess I am.

Count me among those who think that while he has a point that we all have to fight pre-judging people over superficial characteristics like ethnicity and skin color, that had nothing to do with why I was frustrated with the US basketball team.

I reveled in the unselfish play of Magic Johnson, Michael Jordan, Charles Barkley, and the others on the original "Dream Team". They understood spacing, passing, teamwork, running an offense when needed. So does the current women's team, which is also almost all black.

What frustrated me was how this team lacked consistent shooting, couldn't guard the three-point line, and seemed baffled by a zone defense. I miss the days of basketball players truly understanding the game and not just relying on a quick first step or explosive jumping ability. This isn't a criticism based on race...it's a criticism based on diminished fundamentals and lack of sound coaching from high school through the pros.

The Lakers of the 1980s were virtually all black except for the Kurt Rambis years. But watch the fluidity of their game, the teamwork, the ability to not only score on the fast break, but on shooting and passing in a half-court offense. They understood how to combine excellent athleticsim with a solid understanding of the game. I'm sorry but today it just looks like a pickup game out there. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to the offense...just passing around and spreading out for someone to either try to break a defender down one-on-one, or firing up a three when the shot clock winds down. Sure, there are spurts of good play, but it's the exception rather than the rule.

I also understand that the international players have gotten better as evidenced by how many European players are on NBA rosters. But I contend that the movement has gone both ways: they have progressed and we have simultaneously regressed.

Sometimes people gripe and object not because a person makes a solid point, but because the premise is so offensive and the excuse so overused, that people have simply had enough and can't just let the stupid comment slide.

I agree that some of the anger/hatred spewed towards the bball team was racially motivated, or at least motivated by prejudice. Some of the people that I know are turned off by the look of some young players than anything. I mean allen iverson can play some ball but he looks like some kind of thug.

I don't think anyone who watched some of the games, was too disappointed with the way these guys handled themselves. From what I saw they conducted themselves with class and dignity although, their play wasn't first class at times.

You hear alot of people commenting on the character of this team and that is where I think you see the whole racism/prejudice thing creep in a little. Even Iverson was extremely well behaved during the games and interviews. They may be spoiled, rich, and all that stuff, but their behavior in this situation didn't exhibit that. You have to wonder where that type of criticism is coming from. Anyone who watched the games could see that they represented the US well with their overall behavior.

I do think that the racism issue is being overplayed here. It's barely worth mentioning at all to me, jmo. Anyone who criticizes on style of play and all has great points, and thats where most of the criticism is coming from. People need to realize that it is the system more than the players that handicapped this team. We need to establish some consistancy in players and coaches on our national team.

Oh I get it now, If you criticize any NBA Player for poor play, you must be racist. :bs:

I do not think it was a racist thing at all. I think it was a comeuppance of the NBA arrogance that the team was so incredibly poor at basic ball skills. The NBA isnt a basketball league anymore, it's a entertainment medium.

Give me Bird and Johnson any day. Give me Havlicek, etc, just give me some basic basketball skills and leave the flash for the GlobeTrotters.

Archived