alligator gets deer

CarolinaTiger

That's illegal. You are not allowed to hunt any game animal while its in the water. Now. Who will go and arrest that poacher?

you can handle the arrest, CCTAU.

where was this? well, i happened across these when i was looking at one of those 'fact or fiction' things...where facts are checked.

i'll hve to go back and see where this was. i forgot.

ct

Photos show an alligator swimming across a lake with a deer clutched in its jaws

In August 2004, the U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service (USFWS) finally cleared up the issue by issuing a press release identifying the photographs as having been taken in south Georgia (near the Georgia/South Carolina border) by a USFWS officer in March 2004:

The sight of a 12 to 14 foot-long alligator is something south Georgia folks see occasionally, but few have seen one take an adult deer out to lunch. Actually — for lunch.

The photographs of this deer-eating alligator were taken from the air by Terri Jenkins, a U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service District Fire Management Officer. She was preparing to ignite a prescribed fire at Harris Neck National Wildlife Refuge, about 40 miles south of Savannah, Georgia, on March 4, 2004.

"One advantage of fire work is you get to see that 12-14 footers are common from Santee National Wildlife Refuge in South Carolina to Coastal South Carolina to Georgia’s coast," said Jenkins. "It looks like the alligator population is doing extremely well."

This one was at least 12-13 feet long. Jenkins said that some bull alligators have a 35 inch girth.

Thanks. Just wanted make sure he wasn't in my neck of the woods. :D

They did kill one under a dock at Lake Eufala a couple of sloughs over from my family's cabin. Said it was about that large. Scary stuff knowing I've been tubing and skiing right by there. :o

Archived