Investigation.... OVER.

jl2426

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest jojo1515

An attorney for Kenny Rogers says his client knows he made "a stupid decision" when he sent a fellow Mississippi State booster a text of Cecil Newton's payment plan to secure a commitment from his son, Cam Newton, to the Bulldogs.

In a phone interview with The Associated Press Thursday, Doug Zeit says Rogers sent the text after Cecil Newton insisted he do it. Zeit says Rogers sent the text to Bill Bell requesting $80,000 the day after Cam Newton signed with MSU, $50,000 30 days later and another $50,000 30 days after that.

Newton

Zeit says no money ever changed hands.

The Newtons' attorney, George Lawson, told WSB-TV of Atlanta Thursday that he is "one million percent" certain Cam Newton -- who signed with Auburn -- did not take any money. Lawson says if Cecil Newton discussed money, his son "knew nothing" about it.

Lawson told the Atlanta TV station that the Auburn quarterback has not taken any money in exchange for playing college football.

"No money has been offered to Cam Newton," Lawson told WSB-TV. "Cam Newton [hasn't] asked for any money."

Wednesday, ESPN.com reported that Bell, a Mississippi State booster and former player at the school, told the NCAA he received a text message from a man claiming to represent Newton's father, Cecil, that outlined a payment plan designed to bring the quarterback to the Bulldogs.

Bell said Rogers told him Cecil Newton wanted money for his son to play at Mississippi State. Bell told ESPN.com he also shared a series of voice mail messages from Rogers with the NCAA last week. Bell said Cecil Newton never specifically asked him for money, but that Cecil Newton was present during three-way calls in which Rogers discussed a pay-for-play scheme.

Last week, a Mississippi State source told ESPN's Joe Schad that, after Cam Newton committed to Auburn, he phoned another Bulldogs recruiter to express regret he wouldn't be going to Mississippi State, stating that his father had chosen Auburn for him because "the money was too much."

Lawson said the Newtons (Cecil; his wife, Jackie; and Cam) had been interviewed by the NCAA and had been "truthful and candid." He said they will answer "any and all questions."

"Cam Newton knew nothing about any money discussions if any discussions were had," Lawson said.

He said what Cecil Newton told the NCAA has been truthful. Lawson was not asked if Cecil Newton had been involved in any discussions of money with Mississippi State or Auburn.

Bell told ESPN.com he kept Rogers' text message on his old cell phone, which was damaged by water, but he is currently trying to retrieve the text message through his cell service provider.

Bell also said he has recordings of several voice mail messages from Rogers, which he played for NCAA investigators.

"[Cecil Newton] didn't come out and say, 'I want $180,000,'" Bell said. "He inferred it and talked about it, but not directly. Kenny would talk about it in front of him, and [Cecil Newton] never corrected him or said, 'No, that's not what we're doing.'"

Zeit said he did not know whether Cecil Newton participated in three-way calls with Rogers and Bell, but added, "I believe [Cecil Newton] was insistent the calls be made" seeking payment. Zeit confirmed his client met Tuesday with NCAA enforcement representative Jackie Thurnes in person to discuss the Newton case. He said NCAA enforcement rep Marcus Wilson also participated in the interview via telephone.

John Bond, who played quarterback at Mississippi State on the same teams with Bell and Rogers, told ESPN.com last week Rogers also contacted him about an alleged pay-for-play scheme. Bell and Bond have both talked with NCAA investigators, and Bond met Tuesday with FBI on Tuesday.

Information from ESPN.com college football writers Mark Schlabach, Chris Low and Pat Forde, along with ESPN college football reporter Joe Schad and The Associated Press is included in this report.

rogers' attorney says rogers didn't tell him if Cecil was on the phone with the 3 way calls that bell alleges...  ARe you kidding me?? Don't you think that would be kind of an important detail???  If Cecil was on the phone ( and now who really knows) the attorney isright...rogers is STUPID!

Guest jojo1515

only if the player was involved...which every single report claims cam knew nothing of it, therefore no one was acting on his behalf.  The guys involved are in some trouble legally, but it seems as though AU and Cam will be free and clear due to that one really important stipulation.

rogers' attorney says rogers didn't tell him if Cecil was on the phone with the 3 way calls that bell alleges...  ARe you kidding me?? Don't you think that would be kind of an important detail???  If Cecil was on the phone ( and now who really knows) the attorney isright...rogers is STUPID!

Not sure I saw this in the initial quote. Is this from a different link?

Geez did you read some of the comments on that story. Peoples true colors come out and they can be vicious when it comes to putting other programs and fan bases down.

I don't get how it is over. Isn't it still a violation to even talk money even if none was received?

It isn't near over, didn't ST say the NCAA was pulling investigators off of the UNC inestigation, & putting them on the Cam?MSU investigation? Even though we likely are guilt free, this investigation will likely drag on for a year.

As soon as we heard the Newton's lawyer speak out tonight, it was done...

Remember that AU and the Newtons were told to make no comments while the investigation was going on...

So, what does this imply as far the AU/Newton relationship is concerned as soon as he spoke?

AU/Newtons are OK... other players in this game not so much...

Actually, no it's not, according to the by-laws.  http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=5818116  But some say you can interpret the rules to show that it is unethical conduct.  So that's still the debate.

I don't get how it is over. Isn't it still a violation to even talk money even if none was received?

Guest jojo1515

It isn't near over, didn't ST say the NCAA was pulling investigators off of the UNC inestigation, & putting them on the Cam?MSU investigation? Even though we likely are guilt free, this investigation will likely drag on for a year.

I think this will be a quick one.  That is why another case is taking a back seat to this one.  Of course, quick for the ncaa could be months  ;D

here is something else no one has caught yet...

[Cecil Newton] didn't come out and say, 'I want $180,000,'" Bell said. "He inferred it and talked about it, but not directly. Kenny would talk about it in front of him, and [Cecil Newton] never corrected him or said, 'No, that's not what we're doing.'"

interesting choice of words for a man who is just having telephone conversations... I could be wrong, but that jumps out at me as a face to face meeting between the 3....

Those comments are CRAZY! They think we are about to be discredited as a university and be booted out of the SEC. PEOPLE HAVE COMPLETELY LOST THEIR MINDS. IT IS SCARY THAT WE HAVE PEOPLE LIVING IN OUR COUNTRY WHO ARE THAT CRAZY AND STUPID. VERY SCARY.

As soon as we heard the Newton's lawyer speak out tonight, it was done...

Remember that AU and the Newtons were told to make no comments while the investigation was going on...

So, what does this imply as far the AU/Newton relationship is concerned as soon as he spoke?

AU/Newtons are OK... other players in this game not so much...

Wonder if that means we will really hear something official tomorrow on Auburn and Cam being in the clear?

It is not a violation to talk about the money. Unless you are a school official or coach. Then the school is in trouble not the player. The player is only in trouble if they receive money.

Archived