Wayne Lyons

AuburnBasketball

If you want to read an entire thread about Wayne Lyons, search for his name, of course, and look for Surprise Recruit to AU as the thread title. Some REALLY good recruiting info is in that thread. Otherwise, here is an excerpt from an article, that DJ posted around the 1st of this month. I hope this helps.

Ironically enough there is a BRAND new interview on Scout.com's main page with Lyons. In it he does say that Auburn is STILL in the running, although he says that he will probably NOT take an official visit here. He claims to favor UCLA, Nebraska, Michigan, Auburn, Stanford and Notre Dame. He's already taken official visits to UCLA and Notre Dame. He claims to have had a REALLY good visit UCLA, but he says that he doesn't have a real "leader" yet. He had another official visit scheduled to Nebraska, but he decided to reschedule it, so that he could rehab his injured knee and be ready to play in his HS's last game of the season. Lyons says that for his final two official visits, he will probably use one to visit Michigan, and for the last one, he says he will "probably end up taking an official visit to Stanford over Auburn after the football season just to see it", because he says, "it’s a good school.”

When asked to describe what he liked at each school, Lyons said that UCLA was more than he expected, and is a program on the rise... Nebraska, b/c he would have the chance to play early, as they have several DB's leaving next year... Michigan, b/c of early PT, and b/c it's a good school... Stanford, b/c their academics, and b/c he thinks that they will be a Top 10 team soon... Notre Dame, b/c of their tradition and history... and Auburn, b/c of their coaching staff, who Lyons claims could "coach him up at his position".

Lyons also said that he was not taking any official visits he can drive to and that does not mean he will not choose that school.

He also states on rivals that Auburn has a pipeline to his high school and that there was a connection there! :wedance:

I remember about this time last year looking him up on Rivals. At the time I want to say he had something like a 5.0. Then he just had to go and make a B in that AP class....   :P   But seriously, I knew from looking at him then he was special and I wanted him. His lowly 4.96 GPA and all. He's a special talent and not many kids come around like him. Kind of reminds me of Myron Rolle. Here's to the hopes that our Engineering Program and our Coaching Staff can lure in this special talent. And yea, Auburn has had a pipeline through Dillard and the surrounding Ft. Lauderdale area.

My uneducated guess would be because of the storied academic tradition. I wouldn't think there would be too much to it, unless of course Harbaugh were to leave Stanford, but that's speculation.

Archived