The next big Tailback?

JasonsDad

So... Who is the next Ronnie Brown/ Darren MacFadden type back out there?  Big, shifty and fast. We need someone to compliment the bruising style of Dyer and the outside burner style of  OMac. :tdau:

I'm sure Lattimore hates that he got away right now.   

Why? He's the undisputed primary rusher for the East champs, and with Jeffries coming back and Clowney likely joining the ranks, they have an excellent shot to keep it up next season. I mean, I understand what you mean, but I kinda doubt he regrets it.

Yeah, and with the way he's grabbed this much National spotlight as a Freshman, it sure looks like he'll be making a lot of money in two years.  I'm thinking he's fine with his decision.  I do wish we had snagged him though.

idk playing for a national championship freshman year it doesnt get much better than that.....He hasn't won $**te but the east and will probably never win a SEC Championship and lost the chik-fil-a bowl to FSU when he could be playing in a national championship game...I know which one i would rather be apart of and AU's future looks pretty damn bright to me as well

Yeah, and with the way he's grabbed this much National spotlight as a Freshman, it sure looks like he'll be making a lot of money in two years.  I'm thinking he's fine with his decision.  I do wish we had snagged him though.

True, look at how Dyer and McCalleb (and Adams, Zachery, Lutz, etc.) have been overshadowed this year by Cam.  Everybody is hyping Auburn as a one man show (which we know isn't true).  At USC he's probably getting a lot more pub than he would at Auburn, even if he accomplishes less in the end.

we don't necessarily need a "big" or "small" back just someone that can contribute.

While I agree that contribution is the main key, I will say that with Cam possibly leaving(and even if he doesnt) and with Dyer not being all that big...a bigger type back can be a huge asset with short yardage situations, or just wearing down the D.

Dyer and OMac are gonna have a breakout year in 2011. I'm picking both of them to have over 1,000 yards rushing.

Dyer will have a breakout game Monday!  150+!

I like where your head's at.  :we:

we don't necessarily need a "big" or "small" back just someone that can contribute.

While I agree that contribution is the main key, I will say that with Cam possibly leaving(and even if he doesnt) and with Dyer not being all that big...a bigger type back can be a huge asset with short yardage situations, or just wearing down the D.

Isnt that what Phillips is suppose to be for Auburn next Season? 

Is there someone out there that compares to Lattimore?  I still hate that he got away.

:wedance:

Yea we missed on him last year, Mustafa Greene.

It's more likely that Phillips will end up at defensive tackle...he might cross train to fullback, a la William Perry with the Bears in the 80s, but I kinda doubt he plays running back permanently.

He has continually been in talk as the "big back" (understatement of the century since he still weighs in at about 290) he also has been working out/rotating in practices at DT. Personally I would love to see his athletic skills on the D-line, I think that is where his best future in football would be at. You could still use him William Perry style in goal-line but other than that I want to see him on the d-line. IMO...

Dyer and OMac are gonna have a breakout year in 2011. I'm picking both of them to have over 1,000 yards rushing.

The new O Line will have to gel fast for that to happen...and I hope it does.

It's more likely that Phillips will end up at defensive tackle...he might cross train to fullback, a la William Perry with the Bears in the 80s, but I kinda doubt he plays running back permanently.

Great minds think alike...extremely actually in this case. I'm just gonna be proud that I had the same response as such a well-spoken, well-informed Mod.

Huggins is more valuable than any ''big back'' out there. He  can carry load and he has the speed to hang six on you quick. He is a COMPLETE back. He's at 200lbs now and he looks like he could 15lbs easily and not miss a beat. He's better than Crowell and Blakely IMO and that kind of talent deserves to part of the historic RBU. With Huggins and Dyer at RB and Kiehl at QB it just wouldnt be fair.

After watching Phillips in person he deserves a shot at tailback, and Bray out of Troup County could play that position as well. Both are very very good, I was so excited that Auburn got Phillips. Go Handley and War Eagle!

Not to change the subject but I heard an interview about the 85 Bears this summer. The whole reason William Perry ended up playing some offense is because Buddy Ryan didn't want to play him on D. Ditka and Ryan pretty much hated each other, so Mike decided to play him some on offense just to piss Buddy off. :laugh: :laugh:

He has continually been in talk as the "big back" (understatement of the century since he still weighs in at about 290) he also has been working out/rotating in practices at DT. Personally I would love to see his athletic skills on the D-line, I think that is where his best future in football would be at. You could still use him William Perry style in goal-line but other than that I want to see him on the d-line. IMO...

Archived