Cecil Newton schedules Cam workout

JamesG

If I were Cam or his agent id go ahead and cut cecil a check and tell him to go home and stay there. 

*Edited. Please refrain from using "non-family friendly" language here and from attacking player's families. Players and recruits do read these boards. Thanks!

notice the headline of the story isnt "Cam Newton schedules workout". Or "Newton's agent schedules workout". As long as Cecil is around, he will be the story..

Foolish for us to say!  >:(  Not only is this Cam's father, the man had a pretty darn spotless reputation before the mud slinging this season.  Not to mention he raised some pretty decent sons.  Not to mention it was Cecil who guided Cam to Auburn.

Ok.  his agent should do it then

look I'm not excusing Cecil Newton's actions. I'm just saying that it's unfair for someone like us, who in all honestly still know little of what actually went on during Cam's recruitment to say that he shouldn't be around his son.

Foolish for us to say!  >:(  Not only is this Cam's father, the man had a pretty darn spotless reputation before the mud slinging this season.  Not to mention he raised some pretty decent sons.  Not to mention it was Cecil who guided Cam to Auburn.

I cant speak for the others, but my post wasnt a dig at Cecil. Its just the truth. If Cecil is around, the pay-for-play stuff will always be brought up... remember its BSPN writing the headlines

^^ I'm not disagreeing what what you said at all James, that part is very true. However, from Cam's perspective, it would still be important to me to have my father with me during this huge transition in my life, regardless of what the headlines read.

I cant speak for the others, but my post wasnt a dig at Cecil. Its just the truth. If Cecil is around, the pay-for-play stuff will always be brought up... remember its BSPN writing the headlines

That wasnt directed at you James. I agree that Cecil will be the story... until Cam starts making plays in the NFL.  I think its foolish to call the father of our former star player names but that was not you.

If I were Cam or his agent id go ahead and cut cecil a check and tell him to go home and stay there.  Edited

take it easy on the personal attacks... Cam and his dad have a good relationship... lets focus on that.

I said what i said out of my support for cam.  he is a man and now and needs dad to stay out of the way at this point in his life.  everyone is entitled to their opinion.  i dont think anyone here can honestly say they think very highly of cecil newton.  and heck no his reputation was not spotless before 2010

I said what i said out of my support for cam.  he is a man and now and needs dad to stay out of the way at this point in his life.  everyone is entitled to their opinion.  i dont think anyone here can honestly say they think very highly of cecil newton.  and heck no his reputation was not spotless before 2010

once again, I think it's really arrogant for someone like ourselves, who are outside of the Newton family to say, "Cam, this is how you need to deal with your father." We are on the outside, we don't understand the dynamics of that relationship or really even understand the full scope of what happened with Cam's recruitment. I'm 23 years old, and I consider myself to be a man, but I still go to my father for advice, especially at this transitional point in my life. I think it is only fair to allow Cam Newton the same, and without the degradative language.

And what do you know of his reputation prior to the mess at MSU? I've talked to people who were in direct contact with him when Cam was in HS who have said his reputation was far from spotless and definitely not representative of a "pastor". He needs to be happy he got out relatively unscathed and wait for Cam's first NFL check to clear. All he'll do now trying to "represent Cam" is hurt Cam. You can be a great Dad without having to dictate every step your child takes.

You cant support anyone by telling them to distance themselves from their support system. The very same system that was there when Cam was making imature decisions. This is when he would need that support more than every.  One public mistake by his dad doesnt not make him a pariah.

Yeah, it's only one of the most exciting times in Cam's life. Of course he needs to tell his to dad to leave...come on man, everybody makes mistakes. Most, if not all of us don't even know what happened, and how much of the mistake was actually Cecil's fault.

A Dad and son's relationship when it comes to anything, but especially sports, is pretty special. I've experienced it. I would never wish for that to be broken with someone else

all im saying is that NFL execs have already been quoted as being skeptical of cams potential from a business standpoint because of fear of his fathers meddling.  Im not saying cam should disown his father.  im not saying i wish harm on his father.  all i am saying is that it would be best for cameron newton if his father would stay out of the spotlight while cam is in the process of preparing for and being selected in the NFL draft.  if the way i worded it offended anyone, my bad.  I did not mean it as harsh as it sounded but it is hard for me to speak fondly of a man whos selfishness has brought so much negative attention upon a great player, a great person, and a great team. my team.  our team.  a team i have waited my entire life for.  it is what it is

And what do you know of his reputation prior to the mess at MSU? I've talked to people who were in direct contact with him when Cam was in HS who have said his reputation was far from spotless and definitely not representative of a "pastor". He needs to be happy he got out relatively unscathed and wait for Cam's first NFL check to clear. All he'll do now trying to "represent Cam" is hurt Cam. You can be a great Dad without having to dictate every step your child takes.

You are right, I dont know anymore about his reputation than you do.  I do know that had my son made some of the early mistakes that Cam did, Id be alot more influential about his choices until he was able to support himself.  I also know Cam doesnt appear to have the same feelings for his dad that you and some other do so why not respect that?

all im saying is that NFL execs have already been quoted as being skeptical of cams potential from a business standpoint because of fear of his fathers meddling.  Im not saying cam should disown his father.  im not saying i wish harm on his father.  all i am saying is that it would be best for cameron newton if his father would stay out of the spotlight while cam is in the process of preparing for and being selected in the NFL draft.  if the way i worded it offended anyone, my bad.  I did not mean it as harsh as it sounded but it is hard for me to speak fondly of a man whos selfishness has brought so much negative attention upon a great player, a great person, and a great team. my team.  our team.  a team i have waited my entire life for.  it is what it is

The national media has been like the paparazzi with the Newtons.  Everything they do is scrutinized.  That's not the same as trying to stay in the spotlight.  Man im just as tired of having this issue steal the glory of our great season as anyone else but when we start sounding like the media they have won. 

Ok... here's the thing I don't get.  Why does anyone in the NFL care?  What Cam's dad did has absolutely NO bearing on the NFL.  I'm sick of reading that Cam has personal issues that the NFL is going to have to overlook.  He has NO personal issues, especially when it comes to the NFL.  And his dad's issues can't effect the NFL in any way.  He's never hurt anyone... he's never committed a crime (that he knew was a crime at the time)... he's never had drug or alcohol issues.  Heck, compared to a lot of the NFL, Cam's a freakin' saint. 

What someone needs to do is get up in the grill of some of these reporters and set them straight.  Now that there's no NCAA to worry about, they can, and should, do just that.

good lord all im saying is that if the NFL  guys are saying they are concerned about cams dad being an issue his dad should just stay out of the way for a little while.  it could cost cam alot of money and create a bad perception of him.  i know his dad loves him and even if it is hard for him to do he should do whats best for his son and whats best for his son is to lay low right now. 

I hope that it works out for both of them. Regardless of what Cecil Newton's intentions are, the media will jump him like rabid wolves on a dying lamb. I don't like it, but it has become that way. Cecil Newton may not even have said anything at all. For all we know, Cam said his father would be there at his workout coaching him through it, but BSPN presents it as Cecil is calling all the shots. I think Cecil is really trying hard to change his image, but unless it's left alone, it won't happen. His reputation here is good for the most part, but it isn't great elsewhere. He has to be out of the news a while before people will let this go. If he would, the things will settle a bit and Cam will be able to be a great NFL quarterback.

I hope that it works out for both of them. Regardless of what Cecil Newton's intentions are, the media will jump him like rabid wolves on a dying lamb. I don't like it, but it has become that way. Cecil Newton may not even have said anything at all. For all we know, Cam said his father would be there at his workout coaching him through it, but BSPN presents it as Cecil is calling all the shots. I think Cecil is really trying hard to change his image, but unless it's left alone, it won't happen. His reputation here is good for the most part, but it isn't great elsewhere. He has to be out of the news a while before people will let this go. If he would, the things will settle a bit and Cam will be able to be a great NFL quarterback.

What do you mean by this? His reputation is worth less than nothing anywhere, including Auburn. I just think in this case Cecil should completely remove himself from the limelight. It will only cause more harm than good. I can promise you not every NFL prospect has their dad planning workouts for them.

What do you mean by this? His reputation is worth less than nothing anywhere, including Auburn. I just think in this case Cecil should completely remove himself from the limelight. It will only cause more harm than good. I can promise you not every NFL prospect has their dad planning workouts for them.

^^^^YEP 

Archived