ATTENTION MODS

tigerjeffm

I went to horticulture school at Auburn but I do not really know of better people to tell this than you guys.  You know who to contact so here goes: 

It may have already been suggested but I have seen on the discovery ch or something a big and I mean GIGANTIC tree spade built on a tractor trailer that is used to move big a** trees around Augusta National and other places.  Im talkin old growth oaks etc.  Maybe the Toomers Oaks can be removed with it temporarily and the dirt washed off from the root ball and replaced with fresh dirt and chemical absorbers like the activated charcoal already being used.  While the trees are rehabed somewhere, the dirt at toomers could be excavated and replaced with new.  Its just a thought but I havent heard any better ideas and I have had success with a similar experience in my nursery on a much smaller scale of course.  At least run this idea by someone who knows someone.  War Eagle

The guys at Auburn mentioned something similar to the referenced video. Basically removing the soil with vacuum versus a shovel. These type systems loosen the soil which is then vacuumed away.

How expensive is this kind of procedure? Does Auburn have the money set aside to pay for it?

It's obvious the scumbammer who caused all this grief has no real money. Auburn will never see a dime from him.

How expensive is this kind of procedure? Does Auburn have the money set aside to pay for it?

It's obvious the scumbammer who cause all this grief has no real money. Auburn will never see a dime from him.

Its not cheap im sure but the trees are priceless and yes Auburn has the money

It's obvious the scumbammer who cause all this grief has no real money. Auburn will never see a dime from him.

I don't know how this is going to come off but here goes anyway. With the story going national, I don't think there would be any problem getting vendors to participate in any method the university wishes to go in regards to the trees. The publicity would certainly be worth anything they could do marketing otherwise. I know Craneworks has already offered ANY assistance auburn requires.

The guys at Auburn mentioned something similar to the referenced video. Basically removing the soil with vacuum versus a shovel. These type systems loosen the soil which is then vacuumed away.

Hey that may work too.  My thinking though, is that by using the spade, you cut the deep roots, preventing any of the chemicals that have already soaked into the soil say 10 or 20 ft deep from being digested by the trees

Hey that may work too.  My thinking though, is that by using the spade, you cut the deep roots, preventing any of the chemicals that have already soaked into the soil say 10 or 20 ft deep from being digested by the trees

my guess is that in the allotted time period, the deeper the root the better off it is. I do need to concede to your expertise as my only knowledge of the subject what so ever is nadda.

Unfortunately, you can't treat a tree that way without killing it.  Live Oaks are particularly prone to shock, especially as they get older.  The transplanted trees you refer to are moved with a tree spade, but it doesn't dispace the dirt.  If you study and understand root systems, you know that the water and nutrients are moved through the hair like roots and the boundary of the root system.  When you move a large plant or tree, knocking away the dirt damages or destroys much of this sensitive part of the root system - often causing the plant to die.  As much as I would love for them to be able to do this, I don't think moving the trees with evacuation of the contaminated dirt is even a remote possibility.  I could be wrong, but I don't think so.  Sounds like the liquid charcoal is the best hope, and they aren't maintaining much confidence in that either right now.  Man, this ticks me off.

Then all home games. what is it 6? 6 x 80 = NICE HALF MILLION

OK, here's how you do it. License Charman, they supply the TP, $5 gets a roll to through into the trees.

Money problem solved with $1 donation at first game. $1 * 80,000 = $80,000!!!!

80 grand wouldnt touch it but we all agree they are priceless

may we continue to play the what if game? It's sort of all we have right now.

Unfortunately, you can't treat a tree that way without killing it.  Live Oaks are particularly prone to shock, especially as they get older.  The transplanted trees you refer to are moved with a tree spade, but it doesn't dispace the dirt.  If you study and understand root systems, you know that the water and nutrients are moved through the hair like roots and the boundary of the root system.  When you move a large plant or tree, knocking away the dirt damages or destroys much of this sensitive part of the root system - often causing the plant to die.  As much as I would love for them to be able to do this, I don't think moving the trees with evacuation of the contaminated dirt is even a remote possibility.  I could be wrong, but I don't think so.  Sounds like the liquid charcoal is the best hope, and they aren't maintaining much confidence in that either right now.  Man, this ticks me off.

Then all home games. what is it 6? 6 x 80 = NICE HALF MILLION

OK, here's how you do it. License Charman, they supply the TP, $5 gets a roll to through into the trees.

Money problem solved with $1 donation at first game. $1 * 80,000 = $80,000!!!!

80 grand wouldnt touch it but we all agree they are priceless

Money isn't an issue.

may we continue to play the what if game? It's sort of all we have right now.

My bad I guess.  If any school has the expertise to save the trees, it would be Auburn.  If there is any chance, I'm sure we'll exploit it.  Miracles still happen, so maybe the trees will survive.

my guess is that in the allotted time period, the deeper the root the better off it is. I do need to concede to your expertise as my only knowledge of the subject what so ever is nadda.

Well thats kinda true too but the chemical used has a strong residual effect, meaning it will have a lingering effect for awhile (just off the top of my head Id say 4 yrs or so but I could be way off) so, the longer it stays, the deeper into the soil its going to seep.  By totally removing the tree from its method of absorption... well you get the idea.  Spading the tree or any tree that size is risky business for sure though.  Im just thinking that drastic action may be the only hope.  I surely not saying I know this will work but im throwing it out here so we can brainstorm on it.  It may be worth a shot.  Tebuthiuron is pretty strong and hard to undo im sure

You are spot on there.  It would be totally against everything I know about transplanting trees and how to go about it.  In a typical situation it would be 100% fail.  My reason for suggesting it though is because the trees would have some of the top experts in the world constantly caring for them throughout the process with assets and equipment at their disposal that would make it possible to pull off the feat for sure if it were a normal tree but with the deck already stacked against them, it may indeed not be possible

Might be worth a shot.  I wonder if they tried this if they could somehow suspend the trees so that their root systems were totally immersed in water.  Then they could slowly add new dirt, displacing the water and air pockets so the entire root system regained good contact with fresh soil.  I know we're talking about major excavation here, but who knows.

You are spot on there.  It would be totally against everything I know about transplanting trees and how to go about it.  In a typical situation it would be 100% fail.  My reason for suggesting it though is because the trees would have some of the top experts in the world constantly caring for them throughout the process with assets and equipment at their disposal that would make it possible to pull off the feat for sure if it were a normal tree but with the deck already stacked against them, it may indeed not be possible

Might be worth a shot.  I wonder if they tried this if they could somehow suspend the trees so that their root systems were totally immersed in water.  Then they could slowly add new dirt, displacing the water and air pockets so the entire root system regained good contact with fresh soil.  I know we're talking about major excavation here, but who knows.

I was thinking that as soon as you reminded me how backwards my idea was.  My idea plus yours is a hell of a plan if you ask me.  If craneworks said they would help though, they could tunnel to china if they need to.  All I got is a skid steer but id be glad to pull it to Auburn.  We can start tomorrow lol

It's obvious the scumbammer who caused all this grief has no real money. Auburn will never see a dime from him.

Money a problem? Any AU official who truly thought something like this could work would only have to provide an Internet address, phone number, and mailing address and they would raise over a million in a week from the AU faithful.

Money is not the issue. Chance of success would be.

Archived