Iron Bowl: The Missing Years

Tmad4AU

Several years ago, I read a wild article/post/(something) that described events leading up to the formal ending of the Iron Bowl in 1907 (Series: AU 7 - UA 4 - Tie 1). We all know the official per-diam story. This piece went on to describe events that took place over the next several decades. It mentioned how the AU BOD had UA members in its control, the UA leaning State legislature and other influential powers of the time aimed at dismantling Auburn Athletics. Broke and at a point where it was certain Auburn posed no threat, the series was then forced to continue.

Now, I love urban myths as much as the next guy. I suppose I like debunking them more. This story, however has stuck in my head and I wish somebody out there (that's you old guys) could shed some light on it to 1) put it to rest in my head or 2) well... I'm kind of hoping its number one.

This site,  hosted at Auburn, 

http://www.encyclopediaofalabama.org/face/Article.jsp?id=h-1797

mentions only the disagreement over travel expenses.  It does discuss the myth of a fight taking place in 1907.  However, there is no discussion of the Auburn board having UAT appointed plants voting not to play.

However I read at another site (run by bammers) that accused Auburn's board of agreeing to a money arrangement in 1908, but Auburn and UAT could not agree on a date to play.

http://www.angelfire.com/al/bamacrimsontide/ironbowlhistory.html

"Auburn offered four possible dates to play. Before a reply was made, two of the dates passed and it was too late to change dates of other games. There were still two chances to play, including Nov. 21 when Alabama had a game schedule with Haskell Institute and Nov. 28, the Saturday after Thanksgiving.

Alabama would not cancel the Haskell Institute game, honoring its contract. That ruled out Nov. 21, and the Auburn Board of Trustees refused to change its long-standing rule prohibiting football games after Thanksgiving. The Auburn-Alabama series had stopped indefinately. "

Guest FEARLESSANDTRUE

According to the Auburn Football Vault

"It was about money, a difference of $40 caused by an adjustment in per diem and the number of players allowed to dress out.  Auburn wanted one set of figures, Alabama another.  Once the argument started, numerous differences of opinion surfaced.  Dates couldn't be agreed upon, and when they could, officials couldn't be agreed upon.  The differences grew, name-calling began, and the two schools, both in a huff, didn't play each other for 41 years."

Eventually the Presidents of both universities, who were good friends, met at Kellyton, near Alexander City, and agreed to resume the series at Legion Field.

Guest FEARLESSANDTRUE

Vault mentions that there were threats of legislative action, such as witholding state funding if the schools didn't play but those attempts failed.  Probably anything else is just urban legend. 

Archived