Recruiting... Am I missing something?

AuburnTigers1

Let me start this off by saying that Barbee has my support 100%. I think he is a great B-Ball coach. That being said, what the heck is going on with our recruiting? Maybe I'm misinformed, but it just kinda seems like we but all our eggs in Mobley and Lacey's basket and prayed we landed one of them. Like I said I could be wrong about that, but it has been a very odd process to say the least.

Perception. We have already signed 2 top 100 recruits in Mcafee and Kouassi in the early period. Regardless of the new arena we aren't exactly a recruiting hotbed and we are coming off a pretty poor season record wise. Give it time and Barbee will land a few of these guys we seem to be missing on.

Let me start this off by saying that Barbee has my support 100%. I think he is a great B-Ball coach. That being said, what the heck is going on with our recruiting? Maybe I'm misinformed, but it just kinda seems like we but all our eggs in Mobley and Lacey's basket and prayed we landed one of them. Like I said I could be wrong about that, but it has been a very odd process to say the least.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Funny you said that..Just last night, I was sitting here thinking and trying to figure out why/what is going on with our basketball program.. I too, just cannot put my finger on the problem..I am lost when it comes to our Basketball recruiting techniques..

I fully support Barbee and I have no doubt we will improve, but I also think its possible we could have just shot too high recruiting wise for where our program is at currently. Even with a new arena and a promising coach, Auburn basketball just isn't a very attractive destination for most high profile recruits....yet.

I still don't get where you guys are coming from.  We got three really good recruits, along with the couple of transfers.  It looks like to me, Barbee recruited how he should have.  He got the guys we needed, and now, its going to be a incredible player because we already have a pretty full roster.

I still don't get where you guys are coming from.  We got three really good recruits, along with the couple of transfers.  It looks like to me, Barbee recruited how he should have.  He got the guys we needed, and now, its going to be a incredible player because we already have a pretty full roster.

YES, same thing I was going to say...  :thumbsup:

This isn't like football where you can go after 25 players, you have a small roster and you have to be strategic in who you go after. Like some have said, give Barbee time, he will get it straight.

This appears to be a discussion between people who know and follow basketball recruiting and those that don't. The fact is you're best players are usually signed in the early signing period. Barbee signed three players, 2 who are top 100 players, he also picked up 2 transfers from big time basketball programs a top 50 player in Noel Johnson and Verez Ward who had started at  point guard at Texas, and this all happened without losing a single player from last years roster...so I think Barbee is well on his way to proving what can be done at Auburn basketball wise

I fully understand basketball recruiting. I did forget about the transfers however. Those transfers were here already though and have nothing really to do with the current recruiting class other than the fact that they all will be eligible to play their first season at Auburn next year. Maybe I was expecting too much from this years class. I just figured we would land a big timer like Lacey.

I fully understand basketball recruiting. I did forget about the transfers however. Those transfers were here already though and have nothing really to do with the current recruiting class other than the fact that they all will be eligible to play their first season at Auburn next year. Maybe I was expecting too much from this years class. I just figured we would land a big timer like Lacey.

The transfers have a big impact on this recruiting class. Not from a "class ranking" standpoint but from the standpoint of how many "open scholarships" available. Also what positions you recruit. When Barbee and Co. go out on the trail and talk up AU to recruits, those two transfers will me part of the recruiting tool to attract kids. The transfers won't make the headlines but they're critical to the building process going on.

Agree 100%..."Rome was not built in a day", he is bringing in several top notch players next year from recruits to transfers and the return of Sullivan and Auburn will be extremely good going forward if they will just give him the same leeway Chizik gets. Pay him well and get out of his way, simple as that...

I know we all love Auburn, but you have to keep in mind... when was the last time we were even in the NCAA Tournament?  Both guys we lost chose to go to powerhouse basketball schools.  It's not like we lost them to another primarily football based SEC school (I doubt Lacey will choose bama over powerhouses like KY and KU) or someone one even close to the same level as we currently are.  Let Barbee get us into the tournament with good players one or two times, and it will get A LOT easier to recruit great players.

I know we all love Auburn, but you have to keep in mind... when was the last time we were even in the NCAA Tournament?  Both guys we lost chose to go to powerhouse basketball schools.  It's not like we lost them to another primarily football based SEC school (I doubt Lacey will choose bama over powerhouses like KY and KU) or someone one even close to the same level as we currently are.  Let Barbee get us into the tournament with good players one or two times, and it will get A LOT easier to recruit great players.

Well first of all, Lacey is going to Kansas. Doron Lamb is staying at UK and Josh Selby is leaving KU, so that's fine. Never expected to get him. But if you look on the surface, we'll have a solid if not good team.

Varez Ward & Chris Denson at 1, Frankie Sullivan, Earnest Ross & Ced McAfee at 2, Noel Johnson & Kenny Gabriel at 3, and a committee at the 4 & 5 of Armstrong, Forbes, Chubb, Kouassi, and Moreno...

Didnt even factor in Neysmith, Payne, Langford, & Wallace....team could easily go 12 deep with skill and size...

The 2011-12 Auburn will be the biggest and deepest team that we've had since 1998-99...remember those guys??

Well first of all, Lacey is going to Kansas. Doron Lamb is staying at UK and Josh Selby is leaving KU, so that's fine. Never expected to get him. But if you look on the surface, we'll have a solid if not good team.

Varez Ward & Chris Denson at 1, Frankie Sullivan, Earnest Ross & Ced McAfee at 2, Noel Johnson & Kenny Gabriel at 3, and a committee at the 4 & 5 of Armstrong, Forbes, Chubb, Kouassi, and Moreno...

Didnt even factor in Neysmith, Payne, Langford, & Wallace....team could easily go 12 deep with skill and size...

The 2011-12 Auburn will be the biggest and deepest team that we've had since 1998-99...remember those guys??

armstrong wont be on the team gabriel and johnson will play the 4 ross will play the 3 and neysmith is not much of a factor

armstrong wont be on the team gabriel and johnson will play the 4 ross will play the 3 and neysmith is not much of a factor

I'm not counting Neysmith as a factor, and I really didn't expect Armstrong to be back but I haven't heard anything officially....

But without them, thats still a team with size, depth, skill, and experience....could possible win the SEC West

I'm not counting Neysmith as a factor, and I really didn't expect Armstrong to be back but I haven't heard anything officially....

But without them, thats still a team with size, depth, skill, and experience....could possible win the SEC West

I with you in thinking this team is going to be pretty good considering where they were this year. There is some skill on the team and getting Sullivan back is huge. You throw in the two transfers (Ward being a real PG) and the size in the recruiting class and you have the makings a team. I expect Auburn will make some noise this year and recruiting will pick up.

Archived