2013 4* QB Jeremy Johnson signs with AU!

RunInRed

i get the distince impression that Auburn/Lefty were one of the few major programs/players that set in motion what a great number of the top recruits were basing their school decision on.  once auburn made a decision, it set in motion where these other guys were going ... bateman, olsen, rettig, buchanon and another - i believe made their decisions based on auburn getting their number 1 guy - JJ.

IMO Bateman was the one that set off the dominoes.

This is the case. There were 2 QBs that AU really wanted, and when Bateman was off the board, AU made sure that JJ knew he was the man we wanted. As has been said, once JJ chose AU, all other QBs were informed that we were done.

The AU coaches are happy. That is all that matters.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i get the distince impression that Auburn/Lefty were one of the few major programs/players that set in motion what a great number of the top recruits were basing their school decision on.  once auburn made a decision, it set in motion where these other guys were going ... bateman, olsen, rettig, buchanon and another - i believe made their decisions based on auburn getting their number 1 guy - JJ.

This is the case. There were 2 QBs that AU really wanted, and when Bateman was off the board, AU made sure that JJ knew he was the man we wanted. As has been said, once JJ chose AU, all other QBs were informed that we were done.

The AU coaches are happy. That is all that matters.

:thumbsup:

Just watched highlights of JJ, is it me, or does he remind anyone else of Cam?

Cam playing for the Panthers, yes.

i see a scenario where it was the other way around.  we let bateman/olsen know we were going elsewhere and they commit to bama/UM.  just because the public timing happens the way it did doesnt mean the behind the scenes happened that way.  besides, we have not backed off other players who commited elsewhere just because they commited - so if bateman/olsen were our preferred guy then i think we would have still pursued them ... just being "glass half full" guy

That's not how it works guys, remember?  Saban, much like the kid from the playground that always brought the only football, chooses first.  If he doesn't, he stomps his feet, slings out some GD's and MF's, and threatens to leave.  After getting his way, he picks the one he wants. 

Just kidding.  I am in no way implying that JJ would be a 2nd tier player, just trying to lighten everyone's day with the mental image of spanky as a kid. 

I like our guy...I'm glad he's our guy.  War Eagle Jeremy Johnson, welcome to the family. 

Agreed. BIG, TALL, STRONG. Gotta like it!

You think Bateman was Auburn's #1 choice?  If so, that would be the first one to fall.

Yes. I thought the order was Bateman, Rettig/Buchanan, and then Jeremy Johnson but with how things played out I think the order was Bateman, Johnson, and then Rettig/Buchanan. With Rettig going to LSU out of nowhere it seems like he would have committed to us if we had firmly offered.

I like to think that maybe Johnson was always #1.  When he told the coaches he wanted to commit they told Bateman that he should consider moving on.  ;D

You think Bateman was Auburn's #1 choice?  If so, that would be the first one to fall.

Yes. I thought the order was Bateman, Rettig/Buchanan, and then Jeremy Johnson but with how things played out I think the order was Bateman, Johnson, and then Rettig/Buchanan. With Rettig going to LSU out of nowhere it seems like he would have committed to us if we had firmly offered.

From everything i've read, even LSU had JJ higher on their board than Rettig.

From everything i've read, even LSU had JJ higher on their board than Rettig.

I've seen that too. Johnson was apparently #1 on LSU's board. It seems both AU and LSU think a lot of Johnson. I'm happy as long as he is the one the coaches wanted which is obviously true.

Pretty much what I've been saying the entire time. There was nothing on film to suggest that Rettig was any better than Johnson.  Stats didn't suggest it either.  Some used the fact that USC west had interest in him as logic as he must be better than Johnson.  I personally didn't see the logic on that.

Still taking officials to Georgia, LSU, stAte.

Don't blame him a bit. I would do the same thing. FREE FOOD!!!!!!!!!  :thumbsup:

Y'all are crazy if you don't think Bateman was a top priority. I could see him & Johnson being 1A & 1B but we didn't tell him no. Just cause he didn't commit doesn't mean we didn't want him, either way I have wanted JJ the whole time due to his measurables and love for Auburn

Why are we arguing about who is a priority and who is not. Only people I am concerned with is who we have. Those other guys committed to other teams. If they want to join us they are more than welcome. Till then I am only concerned about guys who want to come to Auburn. By the way I just watched a sophomore highlight reel on JJ against Prattville and looked like he was shredding their D pretty good. He reminds me a lot of Cam in the way he moves and runs. I am wondering if rivals will wake up and give this guy his 4th star which he deserves. I know some of you guys dont really care about stars but it's always nice to receive recognition for your hard work. 

Why are we arguing about who is a priority and who is not. Only people I am concerned with is who we have. Those other guys committed to other teams. If they want to join us they are more than welcome. Till then I am only concerned about guys who want to come to Auburn. By the way I just watched a sophomore highlight reel on JJ against Prattville and looked like he was shredding their D pretty good. He reminds me a lot of Cam in the way he moves and runs. I am wondering if rivals will wake up and give this guy his 4th star which he deserves. I know some of you guys dont really care about stars but it's always nice to receive recognition for your hard work. 

He will be a four star on every site by seasons end.

Still taking officials to Georgia, LSU, stAte.

Don't blame him a bit. I would do the same thing. FREE FOOD!!!!!!!!!  :thumbsup:

And Strippers!  :trampoline:

Why hasn't he been added to our pinned " 2013 Commitment List"? Are there concerns about his word?

no, just haven't gotten to it.

The reason that you stated is the ONLY reason I am remotely concerned that he get his 4th. You are right, he deserves it.

By the way I just watched a sophomore highlight reel on JJ against Prattville and looked like he was shredding their D pretty good.

I would not boast about shredding that year's Prattville D. It was young, had major discipline problems, and everbody shredded them that year. As an Auburn fan I hope JJ succeeds but I must also be honest with myself and you guys. Outside of Prattville JJ has had the unfortunate circumstance of being in the worst region in the State and frankly he has only played against 1 quality D in his high school career, the 2011 Prattville D, and they shut him down. The good news is with reallignment Carver is now in Auburn's region. He will face 3 quality Ds in Auburn, Opelika, and Central. If he does well in those games we will know more about what he can do...and more about his leadership ability. Mods if this was the wrong place for me to express that view then delete it.

Why hasn't he been added to our pinned " 2013 Commitment List"? Are there concerns about his word?

no, just haven't gotten to it.

Thanks Bird!

Archived