2013 4* QB Jeremy Johnson signs with AU!

RunInRed

JJ Vid:

Footwork needs much work, but that's easily corrected. If this kid can throw the ball that well with questionable footwork, just think how much better he will be when Lefty helps him correct it. Kid has great potential. Awesome pick up. War Eagle JJ!!

All high school QBs have things that needs to be corrected. That's why coaches get paid the big bucks to correct those things.

Yes I know.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In regards to leadership qualities, personality, work ethic, we couldn't have done much better than Johnson. His touch on the longball is great, but as others have mentioned, he's not very polished. That's common for guys with this ability that can muscle the ball past most DBs they face in high school. I haven't met Johnson, but I get the idea from the people I talk to that he will be able to absorb instruction well. I think all of the potential is there to be a quality SEC QB in a few years.

His academics are in line, for those that are always curious about the academic standing of our recruits.

i for one wanted this guy from the get go....i remember not too long ago we wanted him and the sandburg kid and we would be happy with either. now sandburg has all but fallen off the radar we want a guy that is un proven from the west coast just because he is from the west coast. JJ will be just fine because every great qb needed help coming out of high school including the greats aka Cam, Tebow, Luck just to name a few in the past three years. if they are truly good qb's they will listen to their coaches and learn which the prob don't have in high school. :wareagle: :wareagle:

I wouldn't be too surprised if he was allowed to play basketball as a freshman, considering he will almost certainly redshirt in football. Beyond that, if Coach Barbee thinks he's truly an asset, then he and Coach Chizik could probably work something out, if nothing else than letting him play in January, February, and March.

That's not entirely unheard of. I think Matt Jones played QB for Arky and moonlighted on the bball team. So I think he could do it. If he can contribute to both teams I'm all for it!

Does anyone see any issues with his throwing motion?  I personally don't, but the bunker posters think other wise.  I can see his footwork issues, but he's throwing motion looks the same to me as any other polished Qb. 

Does anyone see any issues with his throwing motion?  I personally don't, but the bunker posters think other wise.  I can see his footwork issues, but he's throwing motion looks the same to me as any other polished Qb. 

None that should present any issues in college. I think when it comes to QBs everyone tends to have a knowledgeable opinion.

Yes, there is work to be done with his throwing mechanics.  He seems to almost flick the ball, like he's throwing a dart.  However, as stated earlier, things like that are common with most high school QB's.  That's why it's rare for them to start right out of high school.  Coach Loeffler will get a hold of him and fix all of those things.  

What he seems to have going for him are the things that you can't coach!  He's got size, strength, athleticism, talent, intelligence, and a great personality.  This is reassuring to me!

:wareagle:

Saw this --

One of the biggest reasons for Johnson’s decision was his relationship with Auburn first-year offensive coordinator and quarterback coach Scot Loeffler. He said Loeffler made it very clear that Johnson is the guy he’s been looking for at the position.

“I knew it when he came and evaluated me in the spring,” Johnson said. “He had me throw an under-the-center post route he just shook his head. He said he called Coach Chizik then and said ‘that’s my guy’. That gave me an idea.

“He said that after watching me throw when he’s been going out he’s been telling everybody no,” he added. “He said he told Coach Chizik that I’m his guy, I’m the chosen one. He has just been telling everybody no so it feels good to be his guy.”

Saw this --

One of the biggest reasons for Johnson’s decision was his relationship with Auburn first-year offensive coordinator and quarterback coach Scot Loeffler. He said Loeffler made it very clear that Johnson is the guy he’s been looking for at the position.

“I knew it when he came and evaluated me in the spring,” Johnson said. “He had me throw an under-the-center post route he just shook his head. He said he called Coach Chizik then and said ‘that’s my guy’. That gave me an idea.

“He said that after watching me throw when he’s been going out he’s been telling everybody no,” he added. “He said he told Coach Chizik that I’m his guy, I’m the chosen one. He has just been telling everybody no so it feels good to be his guy.”

I was hoping we would still be recruiting at least one more of the "higher rated" guys, but if CSL feels that this is the one he wants I'm all for it. Congrats to Johnson.

I am VERY pleased that we got a commitment from the TOP QB in the state of AL today! As you can tell from my reaction in the original post of this thread, I was hoping that this day would come! I remember meeting BigBird, around4ever, The Flush, ST, and AUQBDad to watch Kiehl at the Hoover 7on7 two years ago, and there was this tall, lanky QB playing for Carver, who was STROKIN' the ball all over the field that day! I knew then that he was something special, as he led his team to the championship that day, and I've got a feeling that it may not be his last. The QB position on the Plains is gonna be LOADED with talent for years to come!

:we:

P.S. Profile coming...

I am VERY pleased that we got a commitment from the TOP QB in the state of AL today! As you can tell from my reaction in the original post of this thread, I was hoping that this day would come! I remember meeting BigBird, around4ever, The Flush, ST, and AUQBDad to watch Kiehl at the Hoover 7on7 two years ago, and there was this tall, lanky QB playing for Carver, who was STROKIN' the ball all over the field that day! I knew then that he was something special, as he led his team to the championship that day, and I've got a feeling that it may not be his last. The QB position on the Plains is gonna be LOADED with talent for years to come!

P.S. Profile coming...

Well, I will just  be d@#$Ved!!  All it takes is a commit, and look who  re-appears at 2 in the morning, just like old times!!  j/k thanks, DJ.

P.S. Profile coming...

Well, I will just  be d@#$Ved!!  All it takes is a commit, and look who  re-appears at 2 in the morning, just like old times!!  j/k thanks, DJ.

:laugh:  Who is this DJ fella?  JJ is the real deal folks.  This is a very nice commitment for us.

It's like I said in other threads, Johnson is just as good as any of the other qb's.  If you watch his film his throwing motion, his reads, and his stats are as good as anybody's.  Sure there is stuff that has to improve but that's every high school qb.  Many was saying Rettig over him but I just didn't see it.  I was sure once CSL had time to really evaluate the qb's he would want Johnson.

I know some thought we may get another QB, but I think some are missing one solid point here: Jeremy chose us!!!!!! These other QBs did not and if we wouldve sat around and waited for another guy who didnt know if Auburn was the place for him we wouldve lost Jeremy to LSU. We got the guy that wanted to be here and im very excited to have him here!!!!  :wedance: :wedance: :wedance:

P.S. Profile coming...

:laugh:  Who is this DJ fella?  JJ is the real deal folks.  This is a very nice commitment for us.

DJ, great to see you posting. Welcome , post often! Ha!

P.S. Profile coming...

Glad to hear more eye-witness accounts. I think JJ--even as a Scout 4*--is somewhat under the radar when it comes to his abilities and potential. He has proved it on the hs field and I can't wait to see him in JHS. He made it clear early that he really wants to come to AU and I think that makes a positive difference.

The turning point for Johnson? He enjoyed his relationship with coach Gene Chizik and offensive coordinator Scot Loeffler.

“(Loeffler) said I’m the ‘chosen one,’” Johnson said. “He said they told the other four or five quarterbacks that they were talking to that I’m the chosen one. I’m the only quarterback that they’re (signing). They’re not going to take any other quarterbacks.”

http://madvertiserblogs.com/HABOTN/2012/05/20/auburn-looks-to-montgomery-for-a-qb/

P.S. Profile coming...

I didn't realize that was him.  :-[ 

I know some thought we may get another QB, but I think some are missing one solid point here: Jeremy chose us!!!!!! These other QBs did not and if we wouldve sat around and waited for another guy who didnt know if Auburn was the place for him we wouldve lost Jeremy to LSU. We got the guy that wanted to be here and im very excited to have him here!!!!  :wedance: :wedance: :wedance:

This is very true.

I've said since the beginning that I trust the coaches to find the right guy, I was simply under the impression that they were more interested in others. Apparently they were just dotting their i's and crossing their t's. Maybe there are better prospects out there, but considering that the future is already now for Kiehl Frazier and we'll have him at the helm for the next three years, we really just need a solid candidate for development and stability at one of the headlining positions in this class.

To your point, the biggest thing about this to me is that he is about as solid a commitment as they come, whereas even if we'd gotten a commit from one of the bigger name recruits from elsewhere, we might have to concern ourselves with the hometown team sweeping in at the last minute, or another prestigious program being able to offer quicker playing time.

P.S. Profile coming...

I didn't realize that was him.  :-[ 

:laugh:

Archived