2013 4* QB Jeremy Johnson signs with AU!

RunInRed

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love this pickup, I actually voted for JJ in the AE poll. One thing that sticks out to me is he runs a 4.7. He is VERY athletic.

I am VERY pleased that we got a commitment from the TOP QB in the state of AL today! As you can tell from my reaction in the original post of this thread, I was hoping that this day would come! I remember meeting BigBird, around4ever, The Flush, ST, and AUQBDad to watch Kiehl at the Hoover 7on7 two years ago, and there was this tall, lanky QB playing for Carver, who was STROKIN' the ball all over the field that day! I knew then that he was something special, as he led his team to the championship that day, and I've got a feeling that it may not be his last. The QB position on the Plains is gonna be LOADED with talent for years to come!

:we:

P.S. Profile coming...

I didn't realize that was him.  :-[ 

Yep! They came out of nowhere to win that year... ARTICLE/

Here he is from last year's event....

And here's GOOD ARTICLE on JJ from that event.

A few things I noticed:

1. Johnson's team is well coached. Johnson's drops were good and more accurate than you see out of a lot of HS QBs.
  2. The video shows him making a variety of throws. Back shoulder in the red zone, seam route, crossing route, ect. He can make them all.
  3. Sure his throwing motion could use a little work, but he has 3 years or so to work on it.

The fact that we were telling other QB's no, means 2 things; 1) JJ has been our guy for awhile and 2) We didn't see anything in the others that JJ didn't have. You have to believe that CSL evaluates the coach-ability of these kids and what mechanical corrections are needed and determines how much work it will take to refine. I don't think the footwork issue is a factor...

Awesome pickup for us. Tons of potential. I have no doubt 1 or more of the QB's we have on board/coming will end up being big-time. Our talent level across the board at QB is very high which is a refreshing change from the past. WDE.

From just the 7-on-7 video alone, it looks like his feet were better set when he was throwing on the run as opposed to from the pocket, which was kinda weird since he really is a pro-style quarterback. Not sure exactly what that means. My thought would be that maybe he just thinks about it less when he's running so it becomes a more natural motion, but that opinion is about as poorly informed as they come. Regardless, he looks to be very fluid, athletic, and sharp. Glad to have him on board.

Very excited to have this kid on-board!  War Eagle, JJ!!

Just curious, has anyone seen the "4-star QB snubs LSU" articles yet?  Seems there were several of those directed against us over the last couple of weeks.  If CSL is happy, we should all be happy!!!

Awesome pickup for us. Tons of potential. I have no doubt 1 or more of the QB's we have on board/coming will end up being big-time. Our talent level across the board at QB is very high which is a refreshing change from the past. WDE.

Well...to be honest, that assertion just doesn't have the bite for me that it seems to for you; I have no doubt that Kiehl Frazier is going to end up being big time. That's how much I believe in him.

However, your point is well taken nonetheless; between Pike and Johnson, I feel confident we'll have a solid replacement in three years.

I love this pick up as well.  Most wonder why we didn't land a 5* caliber QB this year.  One thing we have to remember is this is Loeffler's first year as an OC in a big time leage.  His name hasn't got out yet, and after this season, it will.  Also, Frazier will most likely be the starter 3 more years; and if Pike develops like we all hope, he will be tough to beat.  CSL will get is fair share of 4 & 5*s in the near future.  

The fact that we were telling other QB's no, means 2 things; 1) JJ has been our guy for awhile and 2) We didn't see anything in the others that JJ didn't have. You have to believe that CSL evaluates the coach-ability of these kids and what mechanical corrections are needed and determines how much work it will take to refine. I don't think the footwork issue is a factor...

i agree and i want to take this one step further ... as a positive to recruits' views of auburn ...

if i read correctly ... lefty was telling these other qb's "no".  that "might" help explain the recent rash of commitments by qb's that had auburn on their list.  

glass half full version - bunch of national top notch qb's want to come play for auburn/lefty ... he finds his guy in JJ and tells everyone else the spot is gone.  the other qb's (bateman, olsen and a kid from texas i think) commit to their #2 schools and we get our top qb.

so we spurn the qb who goes to his backup choice in bama not the other way around as the media claimed.  it confirms that multiple national top 20 QB's wanted to come to auburn and auburn selected the preferred player, who happens to be instate and appears to be a firm commitment.  very nice, sky isnt falling scenario.  moral of the story - trust the coaches.

One thing i noticed about Rettig's recruitment. Coaches from several schools went to one of his workouts earlier this month, including coaches from AU and Bama. Rettig came away from that workout with no additional offers. I'm not sure what means, but my hunch is that he didn't have a committable offer from Auburn.

From just the 7-on-7 video alone, it looks like his feet were better set when he was throwing on the run as opposed to from the pocket, which was kinda weird since he really is a pro-style quarterback. Not sure exactly what that means. My thought would be that maybe he just thinks about it less when he's running so it becomes a more natural motion, but that opinion is about as poorly informed as they come. Regardless, he looks to be very fluid, athletic, and sharp. Glad to have him on board.

If I were to venture a guess, I'd say he hasn't been coached on proper mechanics for throwing on rhythm in the pocket, but he naturally understands the mechanics of throwing on rhythm while running. Actually kinda makes sense that he would be better throwing the long ball with that being the case; it's likely he has never been properly taught to step into his throw.

A few things I noticed:

1. Johnson's team is well coached. Johnson's drops were good and more accurate than you see out of a lot of HS QBs.
  2. The video shows him making a variety of throws. Back shoulder in the red zone, seam route, crossing route, ect. He can make them all.
  3. Sure his throwing motion could use a little work, but he has 3 years or so to work on it.

He has pretty solid accuracy right now and that is with a motion that will be corrected and footwork (during the throw) that needs help as well. Kid also says he can throw 70 yds and that is with the form issues we've referenced. I'm excited about the kid.

He probably redshirts in 2013 as we hope Kiehl and Zeke will be able to hold it down. That would leave Kiehl as a senior and Zeke a junior when the clock starts ticking on his eligibility. I'm super-excited bout the QB potential we have. Jeremy will be able to compete with Zeke for the QB1 role as a sophomore. Realistically, he'll have the program to himself as a junior and senior. He's already 6'6" 215#. After 2-3 years w/ Yox--he could easily add 20-30# before he's he starter. If he keeps his speed and such....watch out.

One thing i noticed about Rettig's recruitment. Coaches from several schools went to one of his workouts earlier this month, including coaches from AU and Bama. Rettig came away from that workout with no additional offers. I'm not sure what means, but my hunch is that he didn't have a committable offer from Auburn.

The questions about Rettig surround his health, and those questions likely aren't going away until he gets back on the field in the fall. I guarantee he didn't have a committable offer.

I am VERY pleased that we got a commitment from the TOP QB in the state of AL today! As you can tell from my reaction in the original post of this thread, I was hoping that this day would come! I remember meeting BigBird, around4ever, The Flush, ST, and AUQBDad to watch Kiehl at the Hoover 7on7 two years ago, and there was this tall, lanky QB playing for Carver, who was STROKIN' the ball all over the field that day! I knew then that he was something special, as he led his team to the championship that day, and I've got a feeling that it may not be his last. The QB position on the Plains is gonna be LOADED with talent for years to come!

:we:

P.S. Profile coming...

I didn't realize that was him.  :-[ 

Yep! They came out of nowhere to win that year... ARTICLE/

Here he is from last year's event....

And here's GOOD ARTICLE on JJ from that event.

I take back what I said about his footwork. Looking at this video, it seems he does step into his throws. Impressive kid. We have a superstar in this kid if he puts the work in and listens to Lefty.

Who's to say that JJ won't earn his 4th or even 5th star? I think some of us may be selling him short a little when we say that CSL will get his super talented players later... he's getting one right now. There are still a lot of combines to go to and a lot of games to play before signing day, and with JJ's tools he's got a great shot at improving his ranking among the recruiting guru's.

Who's to say that JJ won't earn his 4th or even 5th star? I think some of us may be selling him short a little when we say that CSL will get his super talented players later... he's getting one right now. There are still a lot of combines to go to and a lot of games to play before signing day, and with JJ's tools he's got a great shot at improving his ranking among the recruiting guru's.

Barring injury, 100% he'll be a 4-star on all major recruiting sites (already one on Scout and 24/7). Write it down if you'd like. ;)

Archived