2013 4* QB Jeremy Johnson signs with AU!

RunInRed

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This has already been said somewhere on these boards, but is Jeremy Johnson going to be our only QB for this class or are we still looking to sign another one? TIA

Yes he will be our only QB, according to both him and those around here with trust worthy info.

I don't know about that. A lot of relaible Auburn sources believe we will take 2 QB's still.

Guest Tigereagle03

Ryan named a top 5 today AU wasnt one of them.. I think staff told him were done..

Where did you see this?

Keith from rivals spoke to him today he told him a top 5 AU not one of them..

Ryan named a top 5 today AU wasnt one of them.. I think staff told him were done..

Where did you see this?

Keith from rivals spoke to him today he told him a top 5 AU not one of them..

Maybe we are only taking one then. It was supposed to be between OM, us and UF.

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2012/05/national_analysts_give_their_t.html

National analysts give their take on Auburn QB commit Jeremy Johnson

Auburn addressed one of its biggest priorities for the 2013 recruiting class over the weekend by landing the commitment of 4-star quarterback Jeremy Johnson. The Tigers are hoping the Carver-Montgomery star can be the future signal caller for Scot Loeffler's offense, and national analysts say Johnson has all the physical tools needed to develop into a star on the Plains.

"There is no question that Jeremy Johnson has outstanding physical gifts," said 247Sports national recruiting analyst JC Shurburtt. "He has a big arm, great size and the athleticism to make plays with his feet. There is no doubt he will need to develop at the college level, but truthfully that's the case with most quarterbacks."

Justin Hokanson of Rivals.com and AuburnSports.com believes that the 6-foot-5, 215-pound star will be a perfect fit for Auburn's offensive style under Loefler.

"He is a pocket passer. Despite his mobility and athletic ability, he wants to stand in the pocket and deliver the football," Hokanson said. "He's 6-foot-5, which is good for any offense, and he has some nice physical tools in terms of arm strength and touch on the football. I think what makes him a good fit is his desire to be a pocket passer, and his mobility to run play action bootlegs, things of that nature."

Johnson's raw athletic ability has served him well off the football field as well, with Johnson playing a starring role for Carver's basketball team in last year's 6A state championship run.

"To me, a quarterback that excels in multiple sports is a great indicator for success," said 247Sports analyst Barton Simmons. "Johnson's ability on the basketball court translates really well to the quarterback position. Feet, quick twitch in-the-pocket athleticism and instincts are all take-aways from the basketball court that can make a quarterback unique."

Having a quarterback committed early on in the recruiting cycle can often be a major advantage for a school in recruiting other major offensive prospects, and Auburn hopes Johnson's pledge can give them an edge with some of their other top offensive targets, including one currently committed to Alabama.

"Johnson mentioned that he would now begin to recruit Alabama-committed tight end O.J. Howard," Hokanson said. "Both are from that Montgomery area. I would imagine that would be one player that Johnson will attempt to talk to and sway to Auburn."

Second-best player (behind State's #1 player) on the 6A state title basketball team. Very good athlete, but more like Jason Campbell, in my mind, than Cam Newton. Anxious to see what Loeffler (should he stick around long enough) can do to develop JJ's talents.

Wow. Talking about someone leaving before they even coached a game.

Relax. It'll be 2-3 years, minimum, before JJ makes an impact on the field. We all know that's about the average shelf life for a coordinator, especially one on the rise, like Loeffler. Not a dig at him, at all; if anything, it's a compliment.

Just a little fyi, Keith Niebuhr (Rivals analyst) pretty much said Jeremy was rated a high 3* because of the lack of film they had of him and because he hasn't attended as many camps as the other highly rated Qbs.  Keith believes he is our "under-the-rader" commit so far not getting the attention he deserves.  He also believes his ranking can improve if he has good camps, and an outstanding senior season. 

IMO, he whill be a high 4* before it's all said and done.

Just a little fyi, Keith Niebuhr (Rivals analyst) pretty much said Jeremy was rated a high 3* because of the lack of film they had of him and because he hasn't attended as many camps as the other highly rated Qbs.  Keith believes he is our "under-the-rader" commit so far not getting the attention he deserves.  He also believes his ranking can improve if he has good camps, and an outstanding senior season. 

IMO, he whill be a high 4* before it's all said and done.

No doubt. Its puzzling to me though with his frame and even with the little film there is, that he isnt a four star already.

Uhhh....4:53 in the video he says something that is exciting....70 yards? And I think he is telling the absolute truth.

We are going to need some track star WRs to run a 70 yard sprint, make a catch, then a few yards more to score a TD.

i get the distince impression that Auburn/Lefty were one of the few major programs/players that set in motion what a great number of the top recruits were basing their school decision on.  once auburn made a decision, it set in motion where these other guys were going ... bateman, olsen, rettig, buchanon and another - i believe made their decisions based on auburn getting their number 1 guy - JJ.

i get the distince impression that Auburn/Lefty were one of the few major programs/players that set in motion what a great number of the top recruits were basing their school decision on.  once auburn made a decision, it set in motion where these other guys were going ... bateman, olsen, rettig, buchanon and another - i believe made their decisions based on auburn getting their number 1 guy - JJ.

IMO Bateman was the one that set off the dominoes.

Heyden Rettig just committed to LSU and Ryan Buchanan seems to have eliminated us from his list. It seems like JJ will indeed be the only quarterback in this class

I don't think Buchanan eliminated Auburn. Auburn got the QB they wanted, and as a Auburn fan, i'm happy as can be.

Auburn has recruited JJ since he was a 7th grader. He is a true Auburn fan, and i know we'll get his best.

JJ's upside is tremendous, and i'm excited to see him develop in the next few years.

You think Bateman was Auburn's #1 choice?  If so, that would be the first one to fall.

I'm liking how Auburn is starting to bring in high caliber QBs under Chizik.

i see a scenario where it was the other way around.  we let bateman/olsen know we were going elsewhere and they commit to bama/UM.  just because the public timing happens the way it did doesnt mean the behind the scenes happened that way.  besides, we have not backed off other players who commited elsewhere just because they commited - so if bateman/olsen were our preferred guy then i think we would have still pursued them ... just being "glass half full" guy

Archived