Trotter

lewisbr

I know the defense was the biggest problem today but I wanted to get everyone's thoughts on Trotter.  Don't get me wrong...I think he has a great arm.  I think he would do great in a Texas Tech type offense but it seems like Malzahn's offense does better with a QB that has the threat to run.  For instance, when Frazier was in, our running game with OMAC opened up more.  It gave the defense more to think about.  I just think in the plays where Trotter was attempting to scramble, Frazier may have gotten the first down.  I've never seen Frazier throw in a college football game and I trust the coaches to put the best men on the field but I'd like to see Frazier play a good bit against FAU.  What do you guys/gals think?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think you will see him play more next week. Probably throw a pass or two. Trotter's a good kid, good quarter back, but maybe not the best fit.

Think about it, the third string true freshman is coming in to hand the ball off. Is that really Frazier's role? Would they really burn his redshirt just for that? No. He is getting ready to play. Slowly but surely. 

I think you will see him play more next week. Probably throw a pass or two. Trotter's a good kid, good quarter back, but maybe not the best fit.

Think about it, the third string true freshman is coming in to hand the ball off. Is that really Frazier's role? Would they really burn his redshirt just for that? No. He is getting ready to play. Slowly but surely. 

Woody, I agree they are preparing KF for a larger role, however, I do not think he will replace BT as the starter - not this year. I believe he will get some significant snaps in games down the line IMHO.

Trotter has a great arm for 30yds and under.  Fraizer's ball looks like a missle compared to what you are seeing.  Trotter is playing good, but not what I would say great at this moment.  Trotter should have thrown two interceptions today and they dropped a pick 6.  He just has gotta learn to check off his primary reciever.  We also tried to involve Mason in the passing game and that didn't turn our positive today.  I would like to see Kiehl get a series in a game just to see how we respond.

the O played great IMO, until we got behind and they started pressing. It has to be a bad feeling to know you have to go out and score on every posession, mainly TD's and not FG's.

I thought Trotter played very poorly.  I'm not sure what positives you guys saw.  He under-threw or over-threw just about every pass, he threw a pass directly to the opposing team that would have gone for a TD if not dropped, he threw a int where we needed the TD or it was game over, he held the ball way too long throughout the game, he stared down his primary receiver just about every pass play and finally he cant run very well when he needs to scramble.  While the defense played very poorly as well, if Trotter had played better AU still would've had a lead going into halftime and possibly won the game. Before anyone says it, I couldn't do any better or even as well as Trotter did but Im not a QB on a big time college football team.  I think that Clint should have been inserted mid 3rd quarter.  If the competition was so close between them pre season why not give him a shot when Trotter was playing so poorly???  Just my .02 cents

Guest JNieder51188

Is it just made or does it seem that when the play breaks down he just doesnt know what to do? He runs around back and forth before ever throwing the ball away. And when there is a design run for him he seems scared. Im not saying he's bad just seemed rattled the last two games

I bet we see alot more of frazier now....This year (not just the loss, but how poorly defense is playing anyway) has offical became a building year.  I know that it was anyway, but Im sure the coaches were going to see how long we could win.  Now that we lost and it looks like its going to be a long year, might as well get frazier in there to build on next year.  

Trotter played great minus one mistake.  He is very efficient.  The problem is the Auburn defense is cooling off our momentum.  When the opponent can run 90+ plays, that doesn't fair well for our offense to make enough plays.  The offense is carrying us, and they should not have to score a TD on every possesion just to keep up.

There has to be an evaluation on the direction of the defensive philosophy at the end of the season.  The tackling has not improved.  The line is getting a minimal push.  Are there any blitz packages?  The group is young, but that "other" team can take a young group and make them look decent.  

Our offense needs help fast.

Sorry I have to disagree on today's performance.  Now he has been pretty solid at times in the previous games.  Today he is 12-25 with a pick in the endzone and should have thrown a pick 6 had the DB not dropped the wide open pass.  He was only passing for 48% today when he has averaged over 70%.  It isn't all his fault the offensive line communciation and blocking was terrible for a large portion of the game.

Is it just made or does it seem that when the play breaks down he just doesnt know what to do? He runs around back and forth before ever throwing the ball away. And when there is a design run for him he seems scared. Im not saying he's bad just seemed rattled the last two games

He's just not a running QB IMO. The one play he kept the ball, from behind the play you could see nothing but daylight straight upfield, but he cuts it to his left towards tacklers. It was a decent run, but could have been much better IMO. He is who he is and I think he is good enough to win a lot of ballgames for us. We just have to find a way to take all of the pressure off of our O IMO.

Wareagle10,  I saw the same thing.  I was wondering why in the world did he not keep running straight and pickup the first down.  He would have had it easy. 

I think we need to see more Frazier because of what he can do that trotter can't. Trotter stood in there and threw the ball taking alot of big hits. But after awhile our wrs didn't get off coverage and he just couldn't make clemson pay on the ground. His arm strength was good for about 40 yards today. He is giving all he has and I'm not down on him.  I just want to see what Frazier can do in the offense.

I think we need to see more Frazier because of what he can do that trotter can't.  Trotter stood in there and threw the ball taking alot of big hits.  But after awhile our wrs didn't get off coverage and he just couldn't make clemson pay on the ground.  His arm strength was good for about 40 yards today.  He is giving all he has and I'm not down on him I just want to see what Frazier can do in the offense.

That is very true. I have been fuming about the play of the D, but if you think about it Trotter took some huge hits today. It just wasn't a good day for any unit really. Special teams played well at times, but very poorly at times also. I don't think their is on area of the game our coaches can feel good about, as far as today goes. Just a total "taken behind the woodshed" day for us. The first quarter was great. I wish a lightning storm would have rolled in.

I expect experimentation with Frazier next week, Trotter starting at least the next two weeks, and an evaluation throughout all that.  Trotter's played well enough to be the starter -- there's no reason to think a backup will improve the situation.  This guy did handle the situation with Utah State, and he put up 42 on Mississippi State.  Once you change QBs, you hurt a guy's confidence.

That said, I want Trotter to be more decisive.  He's made some excellent throws, but he's missed some must-make throws.  (The third down slant on our first possession really hurt.)  And he's made a couple of horrible decisions.  Let's not forget that Clemson's safety flat dropped a pick six today.  We need Trotter to improve. 

I can't put my finger on what exactly is going on with Trotter.  His passing efficiency is dropping, when he runs it looks like he trying to not take a hit.  I think he's more worried about not making a mistake than he is about making a play.  Is he not confident that he's going to be the starting QB?  If Gus is going to turn the offense over to another QB he needs to do it.  Trotter is playing not to lose his job and not to win at all cost.

Trotter played great minus one mistake.  He is very efficient

I must have been watching a different game.

I thought the QB play today was pretty poor.  If Emory Blake doesn't make a great grab for the TD it would've been a total dud of a game for our QB1.

In an effort to abide by the site rules, that's about all I can say.

Nothing against Trotters game, but if we are going to give up almost a grand on D, let's take a look at KF and let him get some game speed.  There was a couple of drives today that KF could've extended with his legs. 

Getting off topic (didn't want to start a new thread for this) Kiehl is a big solid young man isn't he?

Maybe we will see all three QB's next week. I would like to see both Kiehl and Clint get some quality snaps.

Guest Apraser99

I know the defense was the biggest problem today but I wanted to get everyone's thoughts on Trotter.  Don't get me wrong...I think he has a great arm.  I think he would do great in a Texas Tech type offense but it seems like Malzahn's offense does better with a QB that has the threat to run.  For instance, when Frazier was in, our running game with OMAC opened up more.  It gave the defense more to think about.  I just think in the plays where Trotter was attempting to scramble, Frazier may have gotten the first down.  I've never seen Frazier throw in a college football game and I trust the coaches to put the best men on the field but I'd like to see Frazier play a good bit against FAU.  What do you guys/gals think?

He looked scared of contact to me!

Archived