Kevin Scarbinsky Article

I think we're seeing only a portion of the field as far as the defense is concerned. Most of us have only seen the game or the replay that is centered on the ball. The evaluation of whether or not the DC did his job is going to come from detailed game film. We all know that Malzahn's spread attack is designed to create mismatches and does so even against experienced players. If even one defender makes a wrong move or freezes slightly, it can look like the D is absent. We got a taste of our own medicine from a team that executed extremely well. The only upset I have is that our tackling was bad.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All this talk is bad for the team.  >:(

Have you ever seen a group of young men lose confidence in their leaders? Well, I have and it is much worse than this when that happens.

Also seen how that starts.

It starts with crap like this. It's also bad for recruiting...... :banghead:

People need to shut up now, step back and take a deep breath, because none of them have a clue what it takes to coach in the SEC. I think our coaches have proven that they can do the job since Auburn won it all in 2010....and they did it without any help from message board experts or sports writers. What WAS HELPFUL was FAN SUPPORT, especially during the dark days of Cam's media persecution. Ted Roof does not need to replace Cam as the media scapegoat.

This is a message board. Emphasis on the word message. We are all going to talk about things. If the subject of the thread bothers you then don't read it. BTW, the PLAYERS get all of my support I can give. Certain coaches I don't feel great about but I trust in Chizik.

We have been critical of the coaching, more importantly a specific coach. If that coach is on this forum then he isn't doing his job. He should be watching film and figuring out how he gave up 624 yards of offense to an ACC team.

With all due respect.....my opinion is as valid as yours, and if I want to post about it, I will, thanks.

All that guy is doing is stirring things up and creating controversy for Auburn just to get a by-line. If you can't see that having the media attack one of our coaches at this critical time in the season, with a young team that needs to focus, as a bad thing, then I guess we will just agree to disagree.

Auburn does not need another season of controversy and negative headlines. Recruiting is tough enough as it is, and this will have an impact if it continues.

You know what impacts recruiting?  The NCAA leaving us twisting in the wind with this "investigation".  Random fans being critical of a highly paid professional would be a negligable impact, if any at all.

Have you ever seen a group of young men lose confidence in their leaders? Well, I have and it is much worse than this when that happens.

People need to shut up now, step back and take a deep breath, because none of them have a clue what it takes to coach in the SEC. I think our coaches have proven that they can do the job since Auburn won it all in 2010....and they did it without any help from message board experts or sports writers. What WAS HELPFUL was FAN SUPPORT, especially during the dark days of Cam's media persecution. Ted Roof does not need to replace Cam as the media scapegoat.

This is a message board. Emphasis on the word message. We are all going to talk about things. If the subject of the thread bothers you then don't read it. BTW, the PLAYERS get all of my support I can give. Certain coaches I don't feel great about but I trust in Chizik.

We have been critical of the coaching, more importantly a specific coach. If that coach is on this forum then he isn't doing his job. He should be watching film and figuring out how he gave up 624 yards of offense to an ACC team.

With all due respect.....my opinion is as valid as yours, and if I want to post about it, I will, thanks.

All that guy is doing is stirring things up and creating controversy for Auburn just to get a by-line. If you can't see that having the media attack one of our coaches at this critical time in the season, with a young team that needs to focus, as a bad thing, then I guess we will just agree to disagree.

Auburn does not need another season of controversy and negative headlines. Recruiting is tough enough as it is, and this will have an impact if it continues.

Never said your opinion wasn't as valid as ours....but I also wasn't posting in a thread for everyone to quit talking about what they were talking about either ;-P

Belle, that's exactly what I was getting at when I said I've seen how it starts...

AE was always a good place to go to get away from all the negative nonsense that has been directed at our University.  Believe me I have opinions about what is going on, but I also know that this web site was not created for negative opinions about Auburn.  One of the reasons this is such a sacred place, at least for me.  There are message boards popping up all over the internet and I am sure that they don't mind all the negativity. 

And that is my opinion...

It's always helpful to give lazy "journalists" fodder for their lame articles. All they do is read here, and other Auburn boards, and then they regurgitate it.

There have been literally hundreds of threads about CTR and the defense. There's nothing left to whine about that hasn't been posted over and over and over again. Continuing down that road DOES NOT HELP.

Belle, that's exactly what I was getting at when I said I've seen how it starts...

AE was always a good place to go to get away from all the negative nonsense that has been directed at our University.  Believe me I have opinions about what is going on, but I also know that this web site was not created for negative opinions about Auburn.  One of the reasons this is such a sacred place, at least for me.  There are message boards popping up all over the internet and I am sure that they don't mind all the negativity. 

Thanks! :thumbsup:

Madame Belle is correct folks...

If you want to vent, go kick your cat (sorry to all you PETA members)...

All the negative circular based reasoning concerning our D has accomplished only 1-thing... circular reasoning...

A dead horse is a dead horse...

I can assure you that I do have a clue about what it takes to coach in the SEC and I can say for a fact you are absolutely correct!

We do not need media “help” with this team… what the team needs is fan support. The coaches will do their jobs….now us fans need to do ours!

It is a message board about Auburn football.  What that means is that when the Auburn football team ranks 117 in defense people will talk about it on this message board.  I don't understand why that is so hard to accept.  And if only SEC coaches were allowed to talk about Auburn football then there would be no point in this board.  I promise the coaches are not telling our players that they are doing great and providing no criticism either.  But that is okay because I bet no player is thinking they will stop trying because an AE member said they were okay, or because an AE member said they are playing bad, or even because someone in the media said they have flaws. In fact I am sure the coaches are getting them focused on improving. Demanding people to shut up, and calling them whiners is just a bit over the top and confrontational and also probably not the best way to treat family.  If someone does get out of line I am sure the mods here will take care of the offender because they have done a great job of doing that in the past. And if you don't like the subject of the thread why keep bumping it?

Yep it is a message board. Which means that people who feel the way belle feels, can post what they feel too. I don't know what about that is so hard to comprehend.

There is a difference between "fire a coach" and "we need to tackle". One is whining and one is constructive debate.

I also don't see what about that is so hard to comprehend. I'm not surprised though.

No one here is blind. We all see the issues with the team. In our own very different ways we support them.

This whole thread is comical.

Belle thinks all this rhetoric is hurting AU's recruiting, because it brings negativity to the team......

I totally disagree.  IMO, every recruit our staff has been gunning for should be ready to knock down our door to come to AU.  If they watched our defense last Saturday, they've gotta be thinking they can make an immediate impact on our team.  Heck, I bet some of those HS players are thinking they can jump right to the top of our roster and improve our defensive production. 

I know if I'm a HS recruit riding the fence on which school I want to attend, I could dang sure see playing time on a 117th ranked defense a whole lot faster than a top 10 ranked defense.  I'd jump commit to AU way before I would LSU or Bama right now.  All three are top SEC programs, but I'd want to get on the field quick, and AU is the place to go play defense early. 

Belle thinks all this rhetoric is hurting AU's recruiting, because it brings negativity to the team......

I totally disagree.  IMO, every recruit our staff has been gunning for should be ready to knock down our door to come to AU.  If they watched our defense last Saturday, they've gotta be thinking they can make an immediate impact on our team.  Heck, I bet some of those HS players are thinking they can jump right to the top of our roster and improve our defensive production. 

I know if I'm a HS recruit riding the fence on which school I want to attend, I could dang sure see playing time on a 117th ranked defense a whole lot faster than a top 10 ranked defense.  I'd jump commit to AU way before I would LSU or Bama right now.  All three are top SEC programs, but I'd want to get on the field quick, and AU is the place to go play defense early. 

If there's a question of coaching instability, or coaching talent, or any coaching controversy whether real or fan and media created.....I do happen to think it affects a recruit's view on things. Especially because recruiting in the SEC is so competitive.

It's NOT about whether a recruit can make a contribution right away. That's not the issue with calling for coaches to be fired or bashing a player in a public forum.

It's HOW IT IS BEING DONE that could be problematic. It's Public Relations 101. It's public perception.

Just FYI, there are quite a few recruits and parents on here. So perception does matter.

Great, they can see the support the players get.  Ted Roof is a highly paid professional, I'm sure he can take it.  If I'm a recruit, I'd be concerned by the lack of fundamental defensive skills displayed by our guys.  Something that is placed firmly at the feet of the defensive staff and especially the DC.

A. 4 star recruits forget the tackling fundamentals they learned in HS when they step on campus?

Doubt it. Players have some responsibility as well.

B. There is a female politician, the image she has is that of a complete airhead. Maybe true, maybe not (save your political complaints folks, don't care).

Why is it that way? Media talk and it leads to perception. (she was used as an example of media work,save it people)

I would err on the side of the recruit, the player and their family everytime instead of protecting the right  of some whiny curmudgeon to have their opinion.

That's what sights like al.com or tiger droppings are for.

Don't get me wrong, I agree that CGC will and should make the decisions about AU and the direction of the program.  The man has proven he is among the very best head coaches in football.  We know our offense is going to score points, AU football will continue to be exciting and our coaches will continue to send kids to the NFL. That is not really in question.  What I do dislike is the bully mentality of someone that tries to dictate to other members that the defensive woes are somehow a taboo subject on an Auburn football message board and how then they attack those people by calling them whiners, tell them to shut up etc.  I can ignore those people easily enough and for the most part I skim or skip their posts because they are all emotion and no substance. However the irony is that those type of posts are the cause of what inflames people to continue bickering because the attitude ticks people off.  I counter that talking about the woes in a reasonable way is good for perception.  We can close our eyes and hope that nobody notices the defense continues to be an issue (while bammers and media rave on) or we can discuss it beyond negatives they gloat on.  Places like AE and NTYF give AU fans awareness and confidence that the bammer media machine tries to destroy with their slander, half truths, lies and innuendo.  Communication and awareness is healthy.

I have never once asked anyone not to discuss our defensive woes. I have and will continue to ask that "the fire ted roof" lunacy to chill it out. You know that is another emotional response without a lot of content don't you?

I understand about skipping and skimming people's post. I do it all the time here. Most people do.

I have no problem with someone disliking me or my post. Truth be told, I'd be a lot more worried about me if some of these people liked them.

If there's a question of coaching instability, or coaching talent, or any coaching controversy whether real or fan and media created.....I do happen to think it affects a recruit's view on things. Especially because recruiting in the SEC is so competitive.

It's NOT about whether a recruit can make a contribution right away. That's not the issue with calling for coaches to be fired or bashing a player in a public forum.

It's HOW IT IS BEING DONE that could be problematic. It's Public Relations 101. It's public perception.

I don't mean to offend anyone on here, quite the contrary. 

But, if public perception had a negative impact on our recruiting, then our staff honestly did a miraculous job bringing in the talent they've brought in recently, light of the public lynching AU has received for nearly a year now.

Keesler, they did do a miraculous job.  Our signees were bombarded with an immense amount of negative propaganda, and yet these coaches were able to convince and, for the most part, sign each one of their targets. The negative perception just makes the negative recruiting that much easier.  It does have an effect, a substantial one, especially with parents.

Keesler, they did do a miraculous job.  Our signees were bombarded with an immense amount of negative propaganda, and yet these coaches were able to convince and, for the most part, sign each one of their targets. The negative perception just makes the negative recruiting that much easier.  It does have an effect, a substantial one, especially with parents.

I understand.  I'm hoping the negative recruiting against AU will cease to some degree with SoCarolina/Spurrier, Tennessee/Dooley, UA/Saban, LSU/Miles ALL on NCAA probation now.  At least our coaches will have some retaliation in the households.

I understand.  I'm hoping the negative recruiting against AU will cease to some degree with SoCarolina/Spurrier, Tennessee/Dooley, UA/Saban, LSU/Miles ALL on NCAA probation now.  At least our coaches will have some retaliation in the households.

Alabama being on probation, albeit for the text book scandal which most everyone doesn't give one hoot about, hasn't hurt them at all on recruiting.

Alabama being on probation, albeit for the text book scandal which most everyone doesn't give one hoot about, hasn't hurt them at all on recruiting.

Not only that, but even with the NCAA snooping around bama again in light of suitgate, you won't hear mention of it out of the local media until sanctions are released.

Not only that, but even with the NCAA snooping around bama again in light of suitgate, you won't hear mention of it out of the local media until sanctions are released.

Good to know, I hadn't seen anything reported that they were under NCAA investigtion again.

Do you know if the NCAA is investigating Miss State as well?  The media has been really hush-hush about that too.

Archived