The Easy Part is Over...The Real Challenge Now Begins

Miden

It's been a long and mentally straining 4 weeks of Auburn football. We've seen a lot of good and bad things from this team. We've had our ups and our downs, but the good news is that we're (3-1) (1-0) heading into week 4.

The bad news? That was the easy part. Our team now faces off against the four week, four game stretch from hell.

Oct 1- AT #10 USC

Oct 8- AT #18 Arkansas

Oct 15- vs #12 Florida

Oct 22- AT #1 LSU

That is a stretch that the best teams in the nation would have a very tough time navigating. AU will likely be big underdogs in every game. In three of the next four games our team will be on the road in some of the most hostile environments in the game, facing high quality teams who would love nothing more than to take the defending national champs and beat them into the ground.

How do our guys handle it? How will they handle adversity? Will AU rise to the challenge and compete in every single game we play, or will our young team fall apart and allow themselves to be embarrassed out on the field?

I know I think our players and coaches are up to it and can do what needs to be done, but I'd be a lier if I said I wasn't worried about what could await our team and us as fans this October.

I hope I am wrong, but I feel we as fans are going to experience a very dark and painful stretch of four games in the coming weeks. Could be some bloodletting going on.

I'm going waaay out on a limb here and saying were gonna go 2-2 through this stretch... Dog me if you want but I got a gut feeling. And our D will not be as far behind as they have been. I gotta stay optimistic.. Lol  

I'm going waaay out on a limb here and saying were gonna go 2-2 through this stretch... Dog me if you want but I got a gut feeling. And our D will not be as far behind as they have been. I gotta stay optimistic.. Lol  

Can't say thats an impossible scenario. As tough as these teams are, USC and Arky have shown over the weeks that they have some issues, and if they come out playing poorly and AU takes advantage then wins against those teams could happen.

Florida at home will be a tough one. I know the Gators weren't supposed to be great this year, but they took care of their weak OOC foes easily and then had no problems with Tenn and Kentucky. Their game against Bammer this Saturday will tell us a lot about them.

LSU is in a class of their own, and I'd say that no AU should expect a win in this one. Can't say it's an impossible task, but its close. 

I hope I am wrong, but I feel we as fans are going to experience a very dark and painful stretch of four games in the coming weeks. Could be some bloodletting going on.

We will most likely be under .500 by the time October is over

You think we will lose all 4? I see us upsetting one of FL or USC. The other two I'm worried about keeping it somewhat close.

Oct 1- AT #10 USC   75% Loss

Oct 8- AT #18 Arkansas Toss up

Oct 15- vs #12 Florida 75% Loss

Oct 22- AT #1 LSU Loss

This is assuming we play as we have so far with little improvement

Arkansas will tear us up with the passing game.

0-4 is my bet. These kids need a win so badly next week it's not even funny. If they get destroyed Saturday they may well just phone in the rest of the season.

I think we win 1 game of the four (but I hope for a 2-2 split). I don't think anyone is going to beat LSU this year and Arkansas is pretty dang good despite UAT handling them this past weekend. So I think we have our best shot against USC and UF. As some other people have mentioned USC has been shaky but I'm not crazy about Lattimore against our D--not to mention they're WRs. As far as UF, they may be very good but so far I think they may just be a team that has risen in the rankings merely because they've beaten the teams they should (FAU, UAB, Tennessee, & Kentucky). October will be an interesting measuring stick for sure though...

Oct 1- AT #10 USC   75% Loss

Oct 8- AT #18 Arkansas Toss up

Oct 15- vs #12 Florida 75% Loss

Oct 22- AT #1 LSU Loss

This is assuming we play as we have so far with little improvement

We have as good a shot against USC as we have with Arky.... USC, we can stuff the box and hope Garcia is having one of his bad weeks.  If you shut down Lattimore (which is doable), you can shut them down.  With Arky, we have to get pressure on the QB and stop the short passes and crossing routes.  Neither will be easy.

I agree... LSU is a loss, unless something magical happens between now and then.  I haven't seen enough of Florida to make a call an what of any chance we have.

The easy part wasn't that easy.  I actually think we should do better against the smash mouth teams like LSU, USCe, and bama.  Garcia is the only mobile QB of those three teams and should be able to move the ball on them.  I just have to believe that Gus is holding back on the good plays since some of our play calling has been precarious to say the least at times.

I honestly can't decide what I feel about what's going to happen over the next 4 weeks. This team is so hard to get a handle on outside of the fact that they are so young.

It may be a miserable run for Auburn if they continue to let opponents convert on 3rd downs at will. If that one issue gets fixed, the whole outlook could change. That would offer a glimmer of hope.

Either way.....I'm still "ALL IN". :we:

Right now we need to take wins anywhere they can come, even through shootouts.

We have a chance to win every game, and I think we have enough to win one and MAYBE two in this stretch.

Yes, this could be a tough a stretch.  But even with how many yards the defense gave up to clemson and the offense's lack of 2nd half production the game was still winnable without that pick.  Going to red stick with this young group is going to be tough and going to arky similar just because we always struggle with arky.  But an afternoon game in columbia and a home game with uf are doable if both sides of the ball improve marginally.

As I posted on another thread, after watching the USC,Arky,Fla, games it is evident to me that all 3 teams are very beatable. Beatable by us ? That is the question.  If this team can correct their numerous mistakes in preparation this week, they can do it.  It will be a shame if they dont and then miss this opportunity because the talent is on this team to get it done. Coaching needs to step up in a big way, players need to step up, talking time is over.

It's time for a take no prisoners attitude and smash mouth football from this team.

I think we squeak out a win against USC that gives our boys some confidence and a chip on their shoulder. Which then makes the reset of the season more favorable.....

Archived