Has anyone else wondered?

peck4au

with the departure of so many seniors why we didn't sign a few more juco players. Like a DT or LB just to add a little experience until the freshman could get used to the game. I mean we went the juco route last yr and that worked out well for us. thoughts?

There weren't any that would have helped us more than the fresmen we have playing

I mean no disrespect, but how do you know? 

A seasoned JUCO player with game experience at a level higher than high school could have helped us during this transition year.  If nothing else but size, maturity, and leadership, IMO.

There weren't any that would have helped us more than the fresmen we have playing

A seasoned JUCO player with game experience at a level higher than high school could have helped us during this transition year.  If nothing else but size, maturity, and leadership, IMO.

word :cool:

Yea by they would be gone in two years. With scholarship limitations you would always rather have a freshman with potential. Unless of course they are cam newton or nick fairley.

Oh, you mean like Rozell Gayden?  Joel Bonomolo?

Oh, you mean like Rozell Gayden?  Joel Bonomolo?

True that!

If I understand correctly, JUCO count into the 25 limit.  We had an excellent class. 

I think this is the answer to the question. JUCO signees are a quick fix - if you become dependent on it, good luck . . .

The Juco route always seems like a mixed bag.  And it still took Nick and Cam time to develop even after they'd been here a while.  I don't know.

There's nothing wrong with sticking a JUCO in here or there. All top programs do it. The problem comes in when you have to recruit too many to fill holes. A good program won't survive like that, and it means a school is recruiting poorly when it comes to high school players. Chizik is in his 3rd year, and we shouldn't have to rely on many JUCOs based on all how he have recruited since he's been here.

You live by Juco players and you die by Juco players. I have no problem whatsoever signing Juco players ( no more than 2-3 per class). I remember back in the early to late 1990s, Jackie sherrill of Mississippi State University signed  by far, the most Juco players in the SEC. This worked great for Jackie, in that his MSU teams started to own both Auburn and Alabama for quite a few years. I think at one point MSU had beaten us and bammer at least 4-5 times in a row. However, signing Juco players in high numbers started to backfire on MSU that eventually led to Jackie sherrill getting the axe. Siging Juco players is a risky thing if you miss on 2-3 or more players in a class. Juco players in the positions of DL, OL, and receivers tend to be the positions that have the most success. From what I have seen so far with CGC, he is very cautious with signing Juco players, and has a pretty good record with signing Juco players. ( I guess Cam & Nick can count as pretty good players!) Anyhow, we could use a few Juco players here and there that can carry the torch that Cam and Nick did so very well for us!

WDE!!

Doc

:believe: :believe: :believe: :believe: :believe:

You live by Juco players and you die by Juco players. I have no problem whatsoever signing Juco players ( no more than 2-3 per class). I remember back in the early to late 1990s, Jackie sherrill of Mississippi State University signed  by far, the most Juco players in the SEC. This worked great for Jackie, in that his MSU teams started to own both Auburn and Alabama for quite a few years. I think at one point MSU had beaten us and bammer at least 4-5 times in a row. However, signing Juco players in high numbers started to backfire on MSU that eventually led to Jackie sherrill getting the axe. Siging Juco players is a risky thing if you miss on 2-3 or more players in a class. Juco players in the positions of DL, OL, and receivers tend to be the positions that have the most success. From what I have seen so far with CGC, he is very cautious with signing Juco players, and has a pretty good record with signing Juco players. ( I guess Cam & Nick can count as pretty good players!) Anyhow, we could use a few Juco players here and there that can carry the torch that Cam and Nick did so very well for us!

WDE!!

Doc

:believe: :believe: :believe: :believe: :believe:

Doc, I don't remember it that way. MSU started to own UAT & AU? I think someone has spiked your Geritol!

Usually DL positions are where juco players can help a team out and I just don't think the coaches thought auburn had any room for a hit or miss juco Dlineman with all the other glaring needs we had, considering all the young talent on the D line

Archived