No. 3-ranked Auburn women's golf team in second place

augolf1716

Playing in its first tournament of the spring season, the No. 3-ranked Auburn women's golf team carded a 3-under-par 285 in the first round of the Central Florida Challenge, taking second place after 18 holes of play. Freshman Victoria Trapani is tied for the lead after carding a first-round 68.

Hosted by the University of Central Florida, the Central Florida Challenge is a 54-hole stroke play tournament being played at the Red Tail Golf Club in Orlando, Fla. The par 72 course will play at 6,374 yards for the tournament.

Three Tigers finished the day in the top-20 in Victoria Trapani, Marta Sanz and Haley Wilson. Trapani is tied for first at 4-under 68 with Baylor's Hayley Davis. Trapani carded five birdies while tying for Auburn's lowest round of the season.

"Victoria had it really going today," head coach Kim Evans said. "All of the girls had some good looks today. I was impressed with how the girls were able to get out there play thru the cold and wind."

Sophomore Marta Sanz is tied for fifth at 1-under 71, while senior Wilson is tied for 13th at an even par-72. Junior Carlie Yadloczky and senior Particia Sanz are tied for 33rd with 2-over 74s. Sanz is playing as an individual this week.

Sophomore Diana Fernandez rounded out the Auburn lineup, finished the round with 3-over 75 to tie for 45th.

"It was a really good start," Evans said. "We are looking forward to getting back out there tomorrow and giving it all we have."

Baylor finished the day in first with a 4-under 284, followed by Auburn in second at 3-under 285 and Augusta State in third with a 2-under 286. At fourth is Tulane at 1-under 287 and South Carolina in fifth with 2-over 290.

Individually, Davis and Trapani are tied for first with 4-under 68s. Casey Kennedy (Augusta State) and Maribel Lopez Porras (Tulane) are tied for second with 3-under 69s while eight players are tied for fifth with 1-under 71s.

Hope they pull out the win...wish I could shoot a 68. I'm lucky to get close to par. Ofcourse I probably could if I would go more consistantly.

Hope they pull out the win...wish I could shoot a 68. I'm lucky to get close to par. Ofcourse I probably could if I would go more consistantly.

Sure Stripe, I bet you get real close to par at the 19th hole. :thumbsup:

Archived