Women's Coaching Search

around4ever

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does anybody have a few names that 1. Auburn might be looking at or 2. you would like to see Auburn go after? I don't know of anyone, but I say we get Geno from Uconn.... :dunno:   :wareagle:

I just don't see the women's coaches who are icons at their schools leaving what they have. Anyway, just to throw some names out there for discussion, I would suggest MaChelle Joseph from Georgia Tech or for a very good up and coming coach, Jody Adams from Wichita State University. Both of these coaches were assistants at Auburn during the 90's early in their careers.  But I'm sure Jay will have a large pool of applicants.

I would think that if there is an Asst. Head Coach with a successful tenure from a consistantly top ranked big time program, they would be considered. Coaches in that category sometimes turn down offers to go to lesser programs or maybe smaller schools choosing instead to wait for the better opportunity to build a quality program. There are some good coaches who have worked their way up through the mid-majors and become top coaches. They have already been in charge of the total program and done well and would certainly consider a step up to a university with the resources that Auburn has.  I would also bet that an Asst.Head Coach or head coach from a mid-major makes about 1/4 the salary of the women's head coach at Auburn. There will be a lot of interest in this job but also a thorough process by JJ.

I'd love to see us go after Kim Mulkey

Baylor is #1 at the moment, will probably win the tournament, and will be #1 next year. Why, oh why, would she leave Baylor and come to Auburn or anywhere else at this time? ........................crickets,crickets.......... :dunno:

Baylor is #1 at the moment, will probably win the tournament, and will be #1 next year. Why, oh why, would she leave Baylor and come to Auburn or anywhere else at this time? ........................crickets,crickets.......... :dunno:

Plus she makes over 1mil from what I understand. I doubt very seriously Auburn is willing to fork over that kind of money when Barbee isn't making much more than that.

"But I'm sure Jay will have a large pool of applicants." That reminds me of when JJ looked right into the cameras and said just about the same thing when we were looking for a new football coach and that money was no issue.

Where did I say she would? ........................crickets,crickets.......... :dunno:

I just said I'd love for us to go after her.

Where did I say she would? ........................crickets,crickets.......... :dunno:

lol nice come back bird

Ok, then. Let's waste a lot of time and money and go after Kim Mulkey.

:(Maybe JJ will hire a male and that will make you even more hopeful. I think the comments being made about the recruiting refers to the sophs, the freshman, and the 4 good recruits coming in next year. As you know, we brought Carla McGhee back 2 years ago and she has been doing a very good job recruiting. The difference has been that she has gone all over the country and has not been afraid to go up against the top competition and get Auburn's name in the game with some top players. The problem we have now is that 2 of the 4 are getting cold feet about coming to Auburn since Nell has retired.

:(Maybe JJ will hire a male and that will make you even more hopeful. I think the comments being made about the recruiting refers to the sophs, the freshman, and the 4 good recruits coming in next year. As you know, we brought Carla McGhee back 2 years ago and she has been doing a very good job recruiting. The difference has been that she has gone all over the country and has not been afraid to go up against the top competition and get Auburn's name in the game with some top players. The problem we have now is that 2 of the 4 are getting cold feet about coming to Auburn since Nell has retired.

I don't think that was his point. He was saying that Nell's career was similar to Ciampi's last years. Ciampi had incredible success which included final fours. Nell's included on SEC championship and 7 years of mediocrity. I respect and admire Nell Fortner. She is an incredible ambassador for Auburn University but she hasn't gotten the job done. I respect her even more for stepping down like she did. I wish her the best of luck in whatever she pursues in the future. Also hope Auburn finds a replacement that can take this good young talent and turn us back into a tournament team  :we:

:-\

Again, who said we are?

Read the initial question again. I'll highlight the part you're having trouble with.

Does anybody have a few names that 1. Auburn might be looking at or 2. you would like to see Auburn go after? I don't know of anyone, but I say we get Geno from Uconn.... :dunno:   :wareagle:

I'm addressing the second part of the question, the whom I would like to see Auburn go after part. 

She is a great coach and a wonderful person, I've met her several times, that said she's not leaving Baylor. However, that does not diminish the fact that I would still love it if she was our new coach.  What in the world is wrong with saying that?  More appropriately, why is it so irksome to you? :dunno:

"But I'm sure Jay will have a large pool of applicants." That reminds me of when JJ looked right into the cameras and said just about the same thing when we were looking for a new football coach and that money was no issue.

And his choice turned out to be a total fail right? Just so you know there were a lot of big name applicants. Gary Patterson did everything he could to be the coach. Has JJ ever done anything to satisfy you?

:-\ Male, Female, talking monkey...It doesn't matter to me. The coach I respect the most in any sport is Pat Summit. With that said it seems some wanted CNF to stay simply because she is female. I'm sorry, but equality needs to be a two way street.

"With that said it seems some wanted CNF to stay simply because she is female."

I don't see where anyone said anything of this kind on this thread. This seems to be YOUR problem. Get over it.

"but if a male coach had produced the same numbers I wonder how many would come to his defense.".... I KNOW this wasn't suppose to be your point because the discussion was about recruiting, and records, and the past, and the next hire,etc., right? So why make such an unprompted sexist statement?  Oh, I forgot you said "It doesn't matter to me".

I'm outta this stuff. :banghead:

You have a very strange perspective. Most of these people can verify I am far and away among the most socially liberal folks on this board and if one is to understand from reading the above, you are the one with the sexist issues.

A male or female preference for the open position is about as large of a non-issue as I've ever seen. Any comparisons of Fortner to Ciampi was copmparing this coach to the previous.

I think you will find winning with honor as the only criteria anyone here has.

FTR, I agree with the Pat Summit comment. The best coach in any sport I've ever seen, male or female.

:-\

Again, who said we are?

Read the initial question again. I'll highlight the part you're having trouble with.

I'm addressing the second part of the question, the whom I would like to see Auburn go after part. 

She is a great coach and a wonderful person, I've met her several times, that said she's not leaving Baylor. However, that does not diminish the fact that I would still love it if she was our new coach.  What in the world is wrong with saying that?  More appropriately, why is it so irksome to you? :dunno:

Sensitive, Big Bird is a little defensive.

Archived