Women's Coaching Search

around4ever

Thanks bird....I will try to remember it.

And, by the way, I see that WarEagleAtlanta or whatever his name is on TET could have used this "warning" the other day.  He got wacked by SBNation which amazed me since I never knew SBNation had any standards at all. 

Guess when you are walking close to the PC line you better be absolutely sure that your sarcasm is not too subtle.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My wife runs a small in home child care business. The last three to four pages of this thread reminded me of the the pre-school kids when they get in an argument. After the first round of inane comments an Adult would have dropped out of the conversation a young child would have insisted on the last word. Apparently we have a few young lads and lasses posting on this board.

If my above comment offends some of those acting like young children I am sorry. If you reply back to this comment I will act like an Adult and ignore it.

Now to get back to the original Post.  Does anybody know if we have a list of possible coaching candidates and if we do can you let us know who they are?

Yeah?  Welll, you're a poopyhead!!!  :tease:

:laugh: I cringed when I saw this thread was back at the top. About 2 weeks too late red but I guess better late than never. :thumbsup:

I haven't even been to this board in about two months, maybe longer. I didn't find out about Fortner resigning until a few hours ago (which is why I came to this board in the first place)...between having no cable connection and not keeping up too closely with basketball (at least, not since Doc, Scottie, Chris, and Mamadou left), the news slipped past me...and even though I noticed the date on the time stamp, I just couldn't let it pass. Maybe I should have, I don't know, but...

I don't think you should have let it pass, red. You did the right thing and handled it well, IMO. I saw nothing sexist in any of the posts, however, I DID see a few comments from one poster in particular that I would consider radical. Keep up the good work mods!

Red...you shouldn't worry too much about being behind the curve on the Nells's departure. 

I expect a scientific poll of AU grads would show that 91.454% percent would answer "I don't know" if asked to identify Nell Fortner.    Those of us who do recognize her name probably have too much time on our hands.  And as for anyone that would actually go back and read five or six screens of the stuff that shows on a sports blog....IMO, they definitely have too much time on their hands.   

The purpose of asking a question is to get an answer....simple enough for most of us...and besides, it's enjoyable to exchange commentary with folks that actually have an interest in AU.

:thumbsup:

Has there been any names to come up as a replacement for Nell?

Yes. I've heard Pat Summitt and Kim Mulkey mentioned. ;)

Yes.  MaChelle Joseph from Georgia Tech was one of the first names to come up but she is in negotiations to extend her contract to 2015-16 and Tech is opening a new arena. I would think she will stay put.  Look for Kellie Jolly Harper from NC State to take a hard look at the job. She has had the tough task of following the legendary Kay Yow. She coached at Auburn for a few years after graduating from Tennessee. Her husband is Jon Harper who was the Lady Tiger manager. He coaches with her at NC State. Also, Mike Neighbors, an assistant from Xavier may have interviewed. Apparently, the pool is deep and there is no indication at this time that a decision has been made and nothing may change until after the tournaments. The fans in North Carolina seem to think the interview with Harper has occurred. I can't find any info to confirm that Coach Harper is interested in the Auburn job but with her team in the WNIT, I would think she is keeping it very,very quiet. Except with her husband, of course.

Some actual information....good post Ladyt....thanks

Some actual information....good post Ladyt....thanks

A little info on the couple from an NC State site.

Jon Harper (Photo by Tim O'Brien for NC State Student Media)

How did you come to work as a manager for the Auburn women’s basketball team?

It was the second year at school, and I lived next to two girls on the basketball team. One of those players was Samantha Williams, an assistant coach at Duke now. They kept trying to get me to come out and play with them. I was just like, “No. I’m not doing that. I’m not playing with girls.” They said, “Oh, you’ve got to come out and play with us.” And I was adamant. “No, I’m not playing with girls.” As the summer went on and school started, coaches started putting posters up around campus that they needed guys for the practice team. Right before the season started, I saw one of the posters that said “Free shoes, T-shirts, shorts.” Sold. That got me. I showed up at practice. Joe Ciampi was the coach at Auburn at the time, and I guess he told an assistant he didn’t want anybody taller than 6-foot-2, and he was hot that I showed up. He was not happy. “Why do you have this guy in here?” But he sent me to the post players, and he learned to love me. And I loved it. I knew then I was interested in getting into coaching. At that point, I didn’t think about coaching women; I was interested in coaching boys. And I thought this would be a great way to get in the business. But then I got out there. I developed a great respect for the girls that I didn’t have before. I was a practice player for the whole year, and I got to travel with them at the end of the year. At the time, the rules were a little different. I got to go to the NCAA tournament. That team lost in the Elite Eight. I got to go to Colorado for a week. I got to go to Seattle for a week. And I thought, This was awesome; I want to do this for the rest of my life. One of the managers left at the end of the year, and Coach Ciampi offered me a managerial position. . . . I got my last three years of school paid for, and I got to travel to all the games. It was a great experience. In the summer I started working camps and that’s how I eventually met Kellie. I never would have in a million years imagined I would be coaching women’s basketball. But that’s what I’m doing, and I love it.

Thanks again....and JMO but coaching girls should be an interesting job...starting with the fact that girls might actually respond to coaching and do what the coach directs them to do.  As I noted, JMO but girls don't seem to free-lance on the court as much as the guys do....if I were coaching the typical men's team I would pull my hair our watching some of the stuff they do.

Otherwise, although we have lost some ground the past few years, SEC is still the top of the mountain for women's basketball.... and with a new areana, I would think that AU will have some quality candidates.

Really?  This is serious please......our current players and signees deserve no less from their fans!

After last night, I am hearing Mike Krzyzewski may be available.

Really?  Pleae be serious or be quite.....

FYI, yellow indicates sarcasm.

Really?  This is serious please......our current players and signees deserve no less from their fans!

Come on ... Follow AE for a while and lack of credible info turns into humor and thread hijacks in a blink of an eye.  Don't think folks don't care ... I personally would rather a little humor than crickets chirping.  Noone on this board thinks anything but the highest respect for auburn student athletes.  Just because it is not a highly followed varsity sport doesn't mean folks don't care or think it not serious.

Come on ... Follow AE for a while and lack of credible info turns into humor and thread hijacks in a blink of an eye.  Don't think folks don't care ... I personally would rather a little humor than crickets chirping.  Noone on this board thinks anything but the highest respect for auburn student athletes.  Just because it is not a highly followed varsity sport doesn't mean folks don't care or think it not serious.

^^This^^ Nice post stache eagle almost brought a tear to eye

:wareagle: :wareagle:

This is beginning to exhaust my patience... I would think that we should be hearing something, anything at this point.  If Kelly Harper is the choice, and i believe that she would be an excellent choice, there is no reason that would explain the lack of any type of announcement this week.  Come on Jay and Meredith, lets get this done!

Phillip Marshall reports:

Head coaches at North Carolina State, Miami and Georgetown are high on Auburn's list of potential replacements for Nell Fortner.

:wareagle: :wareagle:

This is beginning to exhaust my patience... I would think that we should be hearing something, anything at this point.  If Kelly Harper is the choice, and i believe that she would be an excellent choice, there is no reason that would explain the lack of any type of announcement this week.  Come on Jay and Meredith, lets get this done!

I hope this is sarcasm. Basketball coaching announcements are a lot of times not made until the final four. Jacobs may be waiting to interview Terri Williams-Flournoy, head coach of Georgetown, who is still in the tournament. With all the coaching announcements Auburn has had have we ever known the athletic department to rush through anything?

per Phillip Marshall - Head coaches at North Carolina State, Miami and Georgetown are high on Auburn's list of potential replacements for Nell Fortner....time will tell......

Yes, my post was partial sarcasm, and yes, I do have faith in those in charge in the Department.  IMO however, Kelly Harper would be the best fit for AU of those three most recently mentioned.  We all know how much JJ likes to have the right "fit for AU".  Ofcourse, I am assuming that Machelle Joseph is interested in staying at GT.  More than anything, I am glad to be having an intelligent conversation about this position instead of seeing the jabs and silly comments some choose to make.  Thank you for your information and insight, it is appreciated.

Yes, my post was partial sarcasm, and yes, I do have faith in those in charge in the Department. IMO however, Kelly Harper would be the best fit for AU of those three most recently mentioned. We all know how much JJ likes to have the right "fit for AU". Ofcourse, I am assuming that Machelle Joseph is interested in staying at GT. More than anything, I am glad to be having an intelligent conversation about this position instead of seeing the jabs and silly comments some choose to make. Thank you for your information and insight, it is appreciated.

I heard that Joseph is staying at Tech. I believe they are building a new arena as well. Just and FYI if you have something that you want to come across as a joke it's best to put the type in yellow so everyone knows you're not serious. But welcome to AE.

Archived