Women's Coaching Search

around4ever

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It stinks but I think it is the right move. She is a very classy person and I love the way she represented Auburn but in the end you are getting paid to win and in 8 years she couldn't get it done. I wish her the best of luck and thanks for all she did for Auburn. War Eagle Coach!

Big surprise to me .....and I expect for most people.  I really was hoping she could pull it together and get things turned around.  She seems to be a classy person and had been a good representative for AU.  JMO, but I like the idea of having female coaches for the women's sports though that's not always possible I guess but she seemed to fit in with what AU is all about.

Good Luck Nell !    :thumbsup:

What happened?  She started out so strong only to falter down the stretch.  Was it an inability to recruit?

Not sure. From what I understand the recruiting has been fairly good. The players just look lost on the court. I will say I appreciate all Nell Fortner has done for the university. She has been a first class ambassador. But 1 good season out 8 is a recipe for change.

She is a classy person and was a great representative for Auburn. She had some good teams and has built a good foundation for the next coach, but It's probably time for a change judging from what I've seen the past few years.

A few years ago, I was flying back to LA wearing an Auburn shirt.  Coming off the plane, I remember being tired and in a hurry to get back home so I paced straight to the baggage claim.  Waiting for my luggage, I glanced at a tall lady on the other side of the belt.  She looked familiar, but I didn't think much about it. 

Anyway, I got my luggage and I noticed the taller lady making her way through the crowd from the other side toward me.  She was towing her one piece of luggage, made it right up to me and said, "War Eagle!"  It was Coach Nell Fortner. 

I gave a "War Eagle, Coach" back to her and she beamed a big grin and went on her way.  I turned to my girlfriend at the time (now my wife) and said that's our Women's basketball coach.  My girlfriend, who is a Florida Gator, just shook her head.   

Nell Fortner is a class act and I'm disappointed that she is leaving. 

This will be a tough hiring decision for JJ but at least he won't be deluged with suggestions from the peanut gallery 'cause who has any idea about a replacement?  I bet most people on AE are like me..... other than Pat Summit, who could name more than a couple coaches...and all of them are with major programs lke Conn or Stanford.   

As for Nell,...I've read comments about getting women's basketball back to where it was.  My thought is that whoever is making that statement must have a very good memory because for better or worse, Nell's record is about the same a Ciampi's over his last half dozen years.  The good thing for the incoming coach is that AU has recruited pretty well and there is some young talent on the team and great facilities.

Meanwhile, hope the students will support the team through the rest of the season and show Nell their appreciation for her service to AU.

It stinks but I think it is the right move. She is a very classy person and I love the way she represented Auburn but in the end you are getting paid to win and in 8 years she couldn't get it done. I wish her the best of luck and thanks for all she did for Auburn. War Eagle Coach!

yeahthat.gif

Wonder what the "REAL" is for Nell stepping down. There's always more to it then what coaches say. Not only did I think Nell a good coach, but she's very pretty as well.

Wonder what the "REAL" is for Nell stepping down. There's always more to it then what coaches say. Not only did I think Nell a good coach, but she's very pretty as well.

Because Jay Jacobs wouldn't schedule enough tough opponents  :-X. Also, Coach Fortner wanted to be revolutionary and require her players to wear a special type of facemask. Orange ones at that. Being 51-65 in league play had nothing to do with it.

It shouldn't always be about the Ws and Ls and imo this should have been one of those times.

Would you feel the same way if Coach Chizik has a losing SEC record after 8 years? To not hold all AU sports teams to the same standard is disrespectful to that coach and to the sport IMO. Just a rhetorical question, not blasting you. Ha!

It ABSOLUTELY should be about the wins and losses!  There is no reason on earth to keep a coach just because they are a good person if they cant perform well at their job.  There are plenty of coaches just waiting for their shot at a big time college like Auburn that fit both criteria of being a good person AND can guide a program to wins and success!

Hate to see anyone lose their job but thats life.  If you dont perform sufficiently and meet expectations you lose your job.  Its like that in any job anywhere. (except government jobs apparently!)

It ABSOLUTELY should be about the wins and losses!  There is no reason on earth to keep a coach just because they are a good person if they cant perform well at their job.  There are plenty of coaches just waiting for their shot at a big time college like Auburn that fit both criteria of being a good person AND can guide a program to wins and success!

Hate to see anyone lose their job but thats life.  If you dont perform sufficiently and meet expectations you lose your job.  Its like that in any job anywhere. (except government jobs apparently!)

I think that her record is favorable when compared to other coaches in the position, and she could pull it back up with the recruiting she had. Besides, I have a real weak spot for tall, good looking, Auburn women.

Thank you AU64 - "As for Nell,...I've read comments about getting women's basketball back to where it was.  My thought is that whoever is making that statement must have a very good memory because for better or worse, Nell's record is about the same a Ciampi's over his last half dozen years.  The good thing for the incoming coach is that AU has recruited pretty well and there is some young talent on the team and great facilities."

I said the same thing on another board over the weekend and got slammed.  CNF and Coach McGhee have recruited well and have good recruits in the pipeline........

Thank you AU64 - "As for Nell,...I've read comments about getting women's basketball back to where it was.  My thought is that whoever is making that statement must have a very good memory because for better or worse, Nell's record is about the same a Ciampi's over his last half dozen years.   The good thing for the incoming coach is that AU has recruited pretty well and there is some young talent on the team and great facilities."

I said the same thing on another board over the weekend and got slammed.  CNF and Coach McGhee have recruited well and have good recruits in the pipeline........

Ok? So Ciampi's last 7 years and Fortner's Auburn career record are similar. But Ciampi also had quite a few final 4's in his tenure. Outside of one good season what has Fortner done? In 8 years she has ONE winning record of  conference play. You say she has brought in good recruits, so why aren't they winning? Where is this glimmer of hope some keep talking about? Where/how do you see the ladies program improving? I repeat, one good year out of 8. I understand Coach Fortner is a wonderful lady and a first class representative of Auburn, but if a male coach had produced the same numbers I wonder how many would come to his defense. Either way it's a moot point now, she is leaving and hopefully the new coach will build the program back.

Does anybody have a few names that 1. Auburn might be looking at or 2. you would like to see Auburn go after? I don't know of anyone, but I say we get Geno from Uconn.... :dunno:  :wareagle:

Archived