Willy Kouassi and Bernard Moreno leaving

Holy crap!!! I can't believe that about Kouassi...that's not cool!

I'll just say this is about playing time and leave it at that.

I think this will actually work in our favor. JMO

In regards to playing time, why wouldn't Barbee play kouassi at end of blow-out games?? Realize he has only played Bball for about three yrs, so why not let him learn in games that were not in doubt???

I would have thought Kouassi was poised to be a starter next season...

Kouassi had long term potential. Morena was a package deal. I wonder if this sits Auburn back in trying to build a decent basketball program?

Sets us back? C'mon.

If Barbee was heading into his fourth or fifth year, then yeah, this could be a setback. But in case some didn't notice, we still weren't good last year. Improved, yes, but still not a good team. Barbee is still in the middle of building this thing. While it does suck to lose Kouassi, this is the time any movement in terms of who wants in and who wants out needs to happen.

Other than depth, this isn't a huge issue at this point of Barbee's tenure. If we're still mixing and match and having our best players transferring out in 2-3 years, then that's a problem. But until Barbee gives me a reason to doubt him and what he's trying to accomplish, I won't.

I'd buy the playing time argument. We signed 3 forwards in this class and five prospects ( for three spots). Two players had to leave. Barbee probably suggested  that those two transfer.

I'd buy the playing time argument. We signed 3 forwards in this class and five prospects ( for three spots). Two players had to leave. Barbee probably suggested  that those two transfer.

When Saban "suggests" players leave, some of our membership goes bonkers and rips him as "unethical". I wonder if their same moral standards holds true for CTB if this were the case. For what it's worth, I think attrition is often neccesary and is part of building and maintaining a successful program. I back Coach Barbee 100% regardless of the circumstances.

Somehow, I doubt he "suggested" that a 6'10 four star big man leave the team...unless, perhaps, he was some kind of cancer to the rest of the team.

I wonder if this has anything to do with Ward's situation...

When Saban "suggests" players leave, some of our membership goes bonkers and rips him as "unethical". I wonder if their same moral standards holds true for CTB if this were the case. For what it's worth, I think attrition is often neccesary and is part of building and maintaining a successful program. I back Coach Barbee 100% regardless of the circumstances.

I don't think he told them to leave. I think he suggested that they might not play much in the future and suggested that they consider their options. Once they told him they were leaving, he recruited those extra prospects. I think CTB has known they were leaving for a couple of months. That might be one of the reasons Willie didn't play as much toward the end of the season.

Somehow, I doubt he "suggested" that a 6'10 four star big man leave the team...unless, perhaps, he was some kind of cancer to the rest of the team.

Willie was only a 3 star. He had potential, but the guys coming in have more potential (one of which is a 7 ft juco). It would have been a huge uphill battle for play time next year.

No imo has nothing to do with VW

I think this has been brewing for several weeks.  The kids guardian was frustrated at their lack of playing time.  It may have come to a head between CTB and the guardian and they agreed to part ways.  I don't think we suggested they move on.  I think they decided it was in their best interest.  Who know how it will play out.  I think Kouassi in the end will be a quality center for someone (UAB?).

Just a guess but I expect coach and player realized that Kouassi would not fit in with Barbee's speed and tough defensive style of play. ...and they other kid left so they could stay together.

^^^THIS^^^

^^^THIS^^^

Good to know.

I believe the situation came to a head after the 1st game against bama. This is a post from Darien Knox, their AAU coach/guardian, on another board after that game.

CoachK5WDE50

15 posts this site

Ignore this Member

Nominate

Posted: Today 1:25 PM

Why isn't Willy Kouassi playing....(Team ALABAMA )

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've heard everything.....he's raw, he's a project, etc....how can u be all of these things when ur not playing & if u do play, it's only for 2mins......Willy & Bernard are my guys, there are areas both need to improve in....but to say Willy is a project, I totally disagree with certain Fans & the Coaching Staff....if we continue not to play Willy, we will continue to lose....u need a solid backup Center, especially on the defensive end.....Barbee knows more X's & O's then I will ever know, but he's doing the Tigers & Willy a dis-service by not playing a Top 10 Center prospect, especially in a losing effort.....but what do I know, Im just a guardian, aau coach & those 2 guys best friend....Best Wishes to the Tigers on the remainder of the Season.....thanks for letting me take part in the Tiger Nation, to the true Auburn Fans.....before we question a kid ability, lets question the Coaching Staff & their scheme.....that's my 2 cents, thanks Tigers

If he's so bad to where you can't play him with 7mins to go & ur losing by 20pts....when can u play him or why didn't u redshirt him....so u gonna just let him a waste a year...ijs...dlg

is there any shot that we get another recruit in this class now?

I wouldn't think so. I don't believe there was room with the ones we have coming in before Willy/Morena left. Obviously, further attrition would change things.

is there any shot that we get another recruit in this class now?

I wouldn't think so. I don't believe there was room with the ones we have coming in before Willy/Morena left. Obviously, further attrition would change things.

We will probably sign KT Harrell and maybe one more

This kind of stuff makes me nervous....maybe I'm just naive about HS basketball but an AAU Coach/guardian for a couple kids who just came over from Africa a few years ago?  And him posting criticisms about the AU staff for public consumption.    

Might be the only reason Kouassi even played at all was Barbee feeling some pressure from a guardian/ AAU coach who one day in the future might have more kids looking for a college home.  

JMO but I doubt coaches like Calipari or Williams ,etc let these AAU coaches interfer with their coaching decisions and probably don't give these AAU guys the time of day either.   Dealing with the AAU system is dangerous.

Archived