Willy Kouassi and Bernard Moreno leaving

Well the coach said he was a top 10 player at his position. I NEVER thought that of Willey. The first time I saw him play the word P R O J E C T  jumped out at me.

I for one thought Kouassi was the future backbone to this team, a future star and all potential.  Despite what his guardian thought, he never deserved any more minutes than he got.  Like all underweight sec frosh centers, he got his butt physically kicked under the basket.  That was not going to change without some experience and some butt chewing from the coaches to push him to be more gritty.  It showed at the end of the season.  He was much better in the last few sec games.

From some stuff over on auc, I get the impression he did not respOnd well to hard core coaching.  If that is the case then he won't reach his star potential.  This guy could be nba quality if he trully desires it.  I get the impression the kid is academic focused (which is admirable) but soft when it comes to elite athletics.  Now he may get there one day, but Barbee would have had him there sooner ... And he and auburn would have benefited.  I for one am disappointed he is gone, but do not want wimps on the team, if my assumption is true.  Fwiw...

I can't disagree with that.  Breaks my heart a little bit, I was really high on kouassi after the minutes he was gettin at the of the year.  Thought he was a big piece of our future, was gonna be a monster on d.

I believe the situation came to a head after the 1st game against bama. This is a post from Darien Knox, their AAU coach/guardian, on another board after that game.

CoachK5WDE50

15 posts this site

Ignore this Member

Nominate

Posted: Today 1:25 PM

Why isn't Willy Kouassi playing....(Team ALABAMA )

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've heard everything.....he's raw, he's a project, etc....how can u be all of these things when ur not playing & if u do play, it's only for 2mins......Willy & Bernard are my guys, there are areas both need to improve in....but to say Willy is a project, I totally disagree with certain Fans & the Coaching Staff....if we continue not to play Willy, we will continue to lose....u need a solid backup Center, especially on the defensive end.....Barbee knows more X's & O's then I will ever know, but he's doing the Tigers & Willy a dis-service by not playing a Top 10 Center prospect, especially in a losing effort.....but what do I know, Im just a guardian, aau coach & those 2 guys best friend....Best Wishes to the Tigers on the remainder of the Season.....thanks for letting me take part in the Tiger Nation, to the true Auburn Fans.....before we question a kid ability, lets question the Coaching Staff & their scheme.....that's my 2 cents, thanks Tigers

If he's so bad to where you can't play him with 7mins to go & ur losing by 20pts....when can u play him or why didn't u redshirt him....so u gonna just let him a waste a year...ijs...dlg

I don't exactly disagree with anything said, but this sounds like one of those fathers getting upset because his son isn't getting preferential treatment. I do wish that Kouassi would have either gotten more playing time or redshirted, but it sounds like Willie and Bernard were whining a little too much and getting a bit too big a head about themselves.

I'm sorry but this is the kind of junk that has been happening since Lebo was hired and apparently has yet to stop.  Paint it in a favorable light if you want, but guys transferring out of AU's program hurts the team.  One year of coaching and experience out the door times 2!  Not to mention the rift it causes in the locker room and the possibility that it could cause others who might not be totally happy to transfer as well, ESPECIALLY if they are being given full releases.  Why is it that Auburn's basketball team cant go a single freaking year without multiple issues and players leaving the team for reasons other than graduation???  Is anyone else as tired of this constant stream of bad news as I am???

Football probably has the same ratio of players who transfer or quit the team, it just isn’t as big a deal as when 2 players leave an 80 player football team vs when 2 players leave a 12 man basketball team.  Again you are dealing with 18 to 21 year olds with a lot of influences from the wrong people.  It is disappointing that these are 2 players that Barbee recruited from the beginning and it didn’t work out. 

is there any shot that we get another recruit in this class now?

I wouldn't think so. I don't believe there was room with the ones we have coming in before Willy/Morena left. Obviously, further attrition would change things.

We will probably sign KT Harrell and maybe one more

Are you confident Harrell is coming to AU.  I would like to have him. 

sting. I think we have a good shot at Harrell. But, to compete in this league and any other, you have to have a legitimate big man.

is there any shot that we get another recruit in this class now?

I wouldn't think so. I don't believe there was room with the ones we have coming in before Willy/Morena left. Obviously, further attrition would change things.

We will probably sign KT Harrell and maybe one more

Are you confident Harrell is coming to AU.  I would like to have him. 

Yes

Football probably has the same ratio of players who transfer or quit the team, it just isn’t as big a deal as when 2 players leave an 80 player football team vs when 2 players leave a 12 man basketball team.   Again you are dealing with 18 to 21 year olds with a lot of influences from the wrong people.   It is disappointing that these are 2 players that Barbee recruited from the beginning and it didn’t work out.   

I think that is the problem, especially in basketball these days. You have alot of parents and handlers that are trying to get these kids to the Association so they can get their cut of the wealth, regardless of what the kid wants.

Football probably has the same ratio of players who transfer or quit the team, it just isn’t as big a deal as when 2 players leave an 80 player football team vs when 2 players leave a 12 man basketball team.   Again you are dealing with 18 to 21 year olds with a lot of influences from the wrong people.   It is disappointing that these are 2 players that Barbee recruited from the beginning and it didn’t work out.   

I think that is the problem, especially in basketball these days. You have alot of parents and handlers that are trying to get these kids to the Association so they can get their cut of the wealth, regardless of what the kid wants.

^^AAU basketball to the core.  Everybody (guardian) wants their a piece of the pie.  A very dangerous business if college coaches are dealing with these AAU "coaches/guardians".  Where do these guardians get their income?  Who pays their travel expenses to go international and evaluate potential basketball players they eventually haul back to the states with them? 

I don't like to see a guardian/former AAU coach publically questioning our BB coach and his decision to play or not to play certain individuals.  Doesn't look kosher to me. 

I don't like to see AU in contact with any of these AAU guys, mentors, guardians, etc.  I may be wrong but I don't think any of the serious NCAA basketball programs deal with these guys.  I mean, can you believe that Coach K or Roy Williams would go within a mile of any AAU "coach"? 

Dealing with any of them is just asking for trouble.

I don't like to see AU in contact with any of these AAU guys, mentors, guardians, etc.   I may be wrong but I don't think any of the serious NCAA basketball programs deal with these guys.   I mean, can you believe that Coach K or Roy Williams would go within a mile of any AAU "coach"?  

A fair majority of prep basketball players come from the AAU ranks. In order to get the best talent, you generally have to deal with the AAU coaches. Pretty sure Lebo was adamant about not dealing with AAU coaches, and we all remember how that worked out for him.

I'm sorry but this is the kind of junk that has been happening since Lebo was hired and apparently has yet to stop.  Paint it in a favorable light if you want, but guys transferring out of AU's program hurts the team.  One year of coaching and experience out the door times 2!  Not to mention the rift it causes in the locker room and the possibility that it could cause others who might not be totally happy to transfer as well, ESPECIALLY if they are being given full releases.  Why is it that Auburn's basketball team cant go a single freaking year without multiple issues and players leaving the team for reasons other than graduation???  Is anyone else as tired of this constant stream of bad news as I am???

Kouassi from what I have been told didn`t like the physical nature of practice; that he didn`t always bust it in practice like Barbee likes and that was the reason for lack of playing time. A situation of you will get more time when you earn it. He picked it up for a brief time but it didn`t last. Don`t know for a fact that is the whole situation but it was apparently a part of it.

I don't like to see AU in contact with any of these AAU guys, mentors, guardians, etc.   I may be wrong but I don't think any of the serious NCAA basketball programs deal with these guys.   I mean, can you believe that Coach K or Roy Williams would go within a mile of any AAU "coach"?  

A fair majority of prep basketball players come from the AAU ranks. In order to get the best talent, you generally have to deal with the AAU coaches. Pretty sure Lebo was adamant about not dealing with AAU coaches, and we all remember how that worked out for him.

Red...guess I would like to see some facts to support your comment.  I suspect a very small minority of total college players come via their AAU coach.    Most come via their HS coaching staff.  As for the implication about Lebo not dealing with AAU coaches ....so maybe you forget about Cliff Ellis and AAU and the current state of USCw basketball?

What I read too much about the AAU basketball program is AAU "coaches" interferring with HS coaches, interferring with college coaches and treating "their kids" as their property.  I've got no problem with the concept of AAU basketball but when we recruit a player from his AAU coach....watch out.

Yes. Attrition has killed AU basketball for almost 10 years now.

Red...guess I would like to see some facts to support your comment.   I suspect a very small minority of total college players come via their AAU coach.    Most come via their HS coaching staff.   As for the implication about Lebo not dealing with AAU coaches ....so maybe you forget about Cliff Ellis and AAU and the current state of USCw basketball?

What I read too much about the AAU basketball program is AAU "coaches" interferring with HS coaches, interferring with college coaches and treating "their kids" as their property.  I've got no problem with the concept of AAU basketball but when we recruit a player from his AAU coach....watch out.

Did I read the first post in this thread wrong?  Kouassi/Moreno's guardian said he was their "guardian/AAU coach/best friend", did he not? :dunno:

He said Kouassi & Moreno were "his guys" and he questioned the AU coaching staff's decision on th lack of PT for Willy...............

So Koussi was not getting enough playing time and Moreno "decides" to leave also. 

These are two intelligent kids who might one day become good college basketball players. 

Do I recall however that when they pulled up stakes and Barbee said what "great people" they were, he did not mention what a pleasure it was to work with their AAU coach/mentor/best friend/ guardian? 

AU64 -

I don't know enough about this situation other than what's in this thread. 

Kouassi & Moreno were a package deal.  They had the same guardian, I assume that's why Moreno left when Kouassi became disgruntled for whatever reason, playing time/hard practices, etc. 

You asked Red for facts to support his comment about college bbplayers coming through the AAU ranks.  As you felt that a small minority of players come via their  AAU coach.

The fact that the guardian of Koussai/Moreno stated that he was their AAU coach proves that these two particular players came through him.  So, it looks like we (AU) actually did recruit a least two players from an AAU coach.  Heck, the guardian even said these kids were "his guys."

All I'm saying is that it appears, at least in this case, that AAU coaches are more prevelant in facilitating/funneling players to the college ranks than most of us would like to believe. 

I do however agree 100% with you that AAU has it's shady individuals and any program that chooses to recruit via that avenue may be playing with fire.

I thought most of the elite players play AAU ball. I've always heard the AAU coaches have more influence than the high school coaches when it comes to big time recruits. Dealing with the AAU system is a necessary evil if you want a big time program IMO.

I thought most of the elite players play AAU ball. I've always heard the AAU coaches have more influence than the high school coaches when it comes to big time recruits. Dealing with the AAU system is a necessary evil if you want a big time program IMO.

^^Unfortunately your are correct sir.  The vast majority of top basketball talent funnels through the AAU "system" and the AAU coaches/handlers run the show. 

I blush at the very thought that an AAU coach also serves as the "guardian" of a player/recruit.  It's the way the system works though.  IMHO, many of these AAU coaches are nothing more than agents working the system to get their "guys" to the next level, and eventually into the NBA.  But when do they reap the benefits for helping these kids?  Who pays their expenses while they are spending so much time helping these athletes?  Do they have a regular day job and just do the mentoring/coaching on the side?

I wish I had enough money to take care of my family and daily living expenses so that I could spend as much time as some folks obviously can, to help a kid reach his dream/goal of playing college sports.  I wish I was financially secure enough that I could be a mentor or a guardian to a young man and help guide him to a successful future as an athlete.  I have hard enough time workng my own job and finanicailly supporting my own wife & two kids. 

^^Unfortunately your are correct sir.  The vast majority of top basketball talent funnels through the AAU "system" and the AAU coaches/handlers run the show. 

I blush at the very thought that an AAU coach also serves as the "guardian" of a player/recruit.  It's the way the system works though.  IMHO, many of these AAU coaches are nothing more than agents working the system to get their "guys" to the next level, and eventually into the NBA.  But when do they reap the benefits for helping these kids?  Who pays their expenses while they are spending so much time helping these athletes?  Do they have a regular day job and just do the mentoring/coaching on the side?

I wish I had enough money to take care of my family and daily living expenses so that I could spend as much time as some folks obviously can, to help a kid reach his dream/goal of playing college sports.  I wish I was financially secure enough that I could be a mentor or a guardian to a young man and help guide him to a successful future as an athlete.  I have hard enough time workng my own job and finanicailly supporting my own wife & two kids. 

But how much influence to these coaches have? How much SHOULD they have? Should they be able to tell a kid where he can go to school? I mean, if he's the guardian, then he's taking the role of parent; should a parent be able to tell a kid where he can and can't go to school? Especially if he's going for free?

Here's a pretty insightful article from a few years ago about the rise of the current aau system:

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/news?slug=ys-agents031109

The trends that sent Kevin Love to that unwanted dinner trace back to the 1990s. In an effort to control rookie labor costs, the NBA created a salary structure for draft picks. It eliminated the financial incentive for college players to stay in school and move up in the draft.

The draft was soon flooded with young players, including a record eight high school players in 2004. Agents no longer could wait for a prospect to finish college; they couldn’t wait for them to even start.

College coaches were now standing side by side with agents at AAU tournaments and high school games. “In the parking lots and at the concessions stands and in the hotel rooms” is where the NCAA’s Newman Baker said agents linger.

And they were working with often the most influential person in a young player’s life – his AAU basketball coach – who spends months crisscrossing the country with the players for as many as 80 games a year.

Savvy AAU coaches realized that being the middle man for future millionaires had value. Some, such as Barrett, set up not-for-profit organizations to fund their teams and draw full-time salaries. That allowed agents, as well as college boosters, to donate to middle men anonymously. It was even a tax write-off.

“It’s standard operating procedure that every agent knows AAU coaches and deals with AAU coaches,” Grantham said.

In 2006, the NBA responded to the influx of high school players by creating an age limit that made players wait one year after leaving high school. Previously, college coaches often served as the middlemen. But in the spring of 2007, Ceruzzi Sports sized up the new landscape and as they sought an AAU program to work with one name kept coming up – Pat Barrett.

“College coaches all told me that [barrett was] the guy,” said Dean Kapneck, the chief operating officer of Ceruzzi Sports. “Everybody said, ‘Oh, if you want to have access to so-and-so and so-and-so, you’ve got to go through Pat Barrett.’ We really felt he would be our West Coast liaison. He had a pipeline of players.”

At age 52, white, and often dressed in a rumpled, wrinkled look, Barrett is an unlikely basketball power broker. Yet in more than 25 years he’s coached more than a hundred Division I prospects.

Negative attention in media, from investigative books to “60 Minutes,” has never stopped him from bringing in talent.

His recent teams featured more than a dozen potential NBA prospects including Love, Gibson, Budinger, James Keefe (UCLA), Brandon Jennings (Europe), Taylor King (Duke before transferring to Villanova), Daniel Hackett (USC), Renardo Sidney (committed to USC), Malik Story (Indiana) and Taylor Harrison (Cal).

Barrett touted himself as the gatekeeper to that talent, selling access to those prospects, according to Kapneck.

Jay Williams as a player with the Nets in 2006.

(Tom Strickland/AP Photo)

“He said, ‘I’ll deliver. You know, you’ll get Kevin. You’ll get something. You’re participating in my program,’” Kapneck said. “Pat thought he could get any single kid out of his program, period. Anybody.”

Barrett denied repeated requests for comment.

If Barrett was doing the selling, he didn’t lack for buyers. Ceruzzi Sports officials said they later found at least three other agencies were working with Barrett.

Ceruzzi Sports agreed to donate $250,000 to Barrett’s organization between September 2007 and February 2008, according to Kapneck. The agency also agreed to donate another $250,000 over the following two years.

“If you’ve got access to ten D-I players who are eligible for the draft, then what would you say: ‘Can I get two of them? ‘” Grantham said in explaining the rationale. “If you got two [per year] it would be a successful recruiting period. If you got one you’d be happy.”

The one who would make everyone happy at Ceruzzi Sports was Kevin Love.

A burly, 6-foot-9 forward, he hooked up with Barrett’s California-based team despite living in Lake Oswego, Ore. He was a likely lottery pick. As a nephew of some of the founding members of the Beach Boys and a white star at high-profile UCLA, he appeared to have long-term marketing potential.

Using the access Barrett offered, Grantham sent in his star recruiter, Williams, to court Love and other Pac-10 players. Williams was working for ESPN as a color commentator and had been hired as a salaried employee by Ceruzzi Sports. He envisioned it as an entry-level job with a future as a full-time sports agent. He was out of the NBA but at 26 still carried cache with young players.

“That’s what I was used for, the wow stick,” Williams said.

Archived