Auburn Football 2013 Recruiting List (Updated 8/8/12)

WarEagleAU

Just a gut feeling, but I feel like Cam will pick Auburn (or eventually end up here).  In a similar situation to Gage, he can walk-on for free (free scholarship for coaches children) to AU and he will only count against the 85 when he plays (after a year of redshirt I believe).  We seem to be keeping room under the 25 nearly every year so that will not be an issue.  IMO Cam will be a great slot WR for us, ready to step in after Reed and Bray graduate/enter the NFL.  He has the speed (4.4) and the smarts.  Just a gut feeling.  Plus it lets him do the whole "recruiting thing" (official visits, etc).

Coach's kids count against the 85 immediately even if they are walk ons.

It does not appear that CBVG's son has counted against the 85 is this because he cam in after a "redshirt" year...  :dunno:

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just a gut feeling, but I feel like Cam will pick Auburn (or eventually end up here).  In a similar situation to Gage, he can walk-on for free (free scholarship for coaches children) to AU and he will only count against the 85 when he plays (after a year of redshirt I believe).  We seem to be keeping room under the 25 nearly every year so that will not be an issue.  IMO Cam will be a great slot WR for us, ready to step in after Reed and Bray graduate/enter the NFL.  He has the speed (4.4) and the smarts.  Just a gut feeling.  Plus it lets him do the whole "recruiting thing" (official visits, etc).

It does not appear that CBVG's son has counted against the 85 is this because he cam in after a "redshirt" year...  :dunno:

Good point. I was just relaying a rule someone posted somewhere in the Cam Luper thread.

Rockford is better at some of these rules than me. CALLING ROCKFORD....Where are you? lol

Good point. I was just relaying a rule someone posted somewhere in the Cam Luper thread.

Rockford is better at some of these rules than me. CALLING ROCKFORD....Where are you? lol

To the best of my understanding:

The first thing we have to know is if he is a "recruited athlete" as per NCAA definition. I am going to assume he is.

In that case, if he receives any kind of institutional aid not based on his athletic ability, he becomes a counter when he actually plays.

Normally, a player whose family pays his way totally will never be a counter. I am not sure about that in Cam's case. I am not sure if they (the NCAA) would allow him to decline the aid that normally goes to employee defendants and say his family paid for everything (otherwise schools could just give the coaches a raise to cover expenses and circumvent the rule).

The first thing we have to know is if he is a "recruited athlete" as per NCAA definition. I am going to assume he is.

In that case, if he receives any kind of institutional aid not based on his athletic ability, he becomes a counter when he actually plays.

Normally, a player whose family pays his way totally will never be a counter. I am not sure about that in Cam's case. I am not sure if they (the NCAA) would allow him to decline the aid that normally goes to employee defendants and say his family paid for everything (otherwise schools could just give the coaches a raise to cover expenses and circumvent the rule).

Does that apply for scholarships for a recruit's girlfriend or a good job for a recruit's mother?

Does that apply for scholarships for a recruit's girlfriend or a good job for a recruit's mother?

No, I think that is an unrelated and totally different issue.

No offense this is about as clear as mud...  Sounds like we need to know the definition of recruited is?  Is it offered?  As it is being reported that Auburn has not offered him?  :dunno:  I imagine the Atheltic/compliance  department must have a group of lawyers to understand all the rules of this stuff.

No offense this is about as clear as mud...  Sounds like we need to know the definition of recruited is?  Is it offered?  As it is being reported that Auburn has not offered him?  :dunno:  I imagine the Atheltic/compliance  department must have a group of lawyers to understand all the rules of this stuff.

Not sure this will be ALL that helpful, but here you go:

15.02.8 Recruited Student-Athlete. For purposes of Bylaw 15, a recruited student-athlete is a studentathlete

who, as a prospective student-athlete: (Adopted: 1/15/11 effective 8/1/11)

(a) Was provided an official visit to the institution’s campus;

(B) Had an arranged, in-person, off-campus encounter with a member of the institution’s coaching staff (including

a coach’s arranged, in-person, off-campus encounter with the prospective student-athlete or the prospective

student-athlete’s parents, relatives or legal guardians); or

© Was issued a National Letter of Intent or a written offer of athletically related financial aid by the institution

for a regular academic term.

This gets funky because he is the Son of the Recruiting Coordinator.

I heard Cam planned on having dinner with his family tonight. Therefore, under section (B) above, he is recruited student-athlete.

I heard Cam planned on having dinner with his family tonight. Therefore, under section (B) above, he is recruited student-athlete.

I think he may have become a recruited athlete the moment he was born, if not earlier.

As I said, that definition breaks down with Children of coaches. However, I am sure this has come up before and I bet the NCAA has an interpretation especially for same.

:laugh:

I think since they have such a thing as a "silent commit" they have also created something called a "silent offer". So therefore, I think Cam Luper is a silent commit to a silent offer. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. 

He would count immediately then since he has been "recruited".  Speaking totally out of my arse here, but you'd think there has to be a gray area with coaches children.

I think since they have such a thing as a "silent commit" they have also created something called a "silent offer". So therefore, I think Cam Luper is a silent commit to a silent offer. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. 

My imaginary friend told me the same thing.  :D

He would count immediately then since he has been "recruited".  Speaking totally out of my arse here, but you'd think there has to be a gray area with coaches children.

I could be wrong, but I think he only counts once he receives athletic based aid OR he plays in a game.

I could be wrong, but I think he only counts once he receives athletic based aid OR he plays in a game.

Good point, but since we recruited him, perhaps it negates that?  But I guess we recruited Batten, so maybe its the same story there.  Regardless, in 2013, we're gonna finally be completely loaded.

I think this discussion is completely irrelevant ... The way chizik has operated to date, if the kid is good enough for a scholarship then he will get one, regardless of who his dad is. 

I'm baffled why some of you want Luper to be a walk-on so badly.  He is the best offensive player and second best player overall from one of the top teams in the state.  He is as much of an athlete as anybody I've seen in a long while.  I don't see what the big deal is.

I'm baffled why some of you want Luper to be a walk-on so badly.  He is the best offensive player and second best player overall from one of the top teams in the state.  He is as much of an athlete as anybody I've seen in a long while.  I don't see what the big deal is.

People are concerned there will not be a scholarship available for him. Yet, because we all like him so much, we hope he decides to walk-on anyway. Conversations about the 85 limit are about is it feasible or allowable for him to be treated as a walk-on.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived