Auburn Rugby

AuburnNTexas

Auburn has had a Rugby team since the early 70's. With Auburn's love of football Rugby was an ideal sport for many people who wanted to continue playing a contact sport. I started playing Rugby at Auburn in the early 70's and I continue to play old boys Rugby to this day.

It is a sport that has everything physical hard nosed competition, different positions that allow well conditioned players compete with different physical characteristics (Large tall people, Short Powerful people, tiny quick agile players, etc.) on the field sportsmanship at its highest and comradery that brings people together all over the world.

Rugby has now been added to the Olympics and in addition 7 a side Rugby has taken off all over the country. I have been watching a lot of 7 a side college Rugby on TV lately and I was sad to see no Auburn team or SEC teams playing in the College Championship series.

With Auburns love of football I really expected that by now we would be a major player in the college Rugby scene.

Is Auburn still playing Club Rugby and if so what is keeping it from progressing to the Top levels in college club sports?

After posting the original message I googled and found the Auburn Rugby club page. While reading it I went to the Roster page and I saw a player with last name of Dyas.  I played with a Dyas around 1972 I was wondering if anybody knows if they are related. It would be cool if a son or nephew was playing for same team as father or Uncle.

I thought it was Craig but my memory is not as good as it was also I played Rugby on and off for Auburn up till about 77 so the original year I posted could be incorrect.

What channel have you been watching Rugby on tv? I am planning on attempting to play Rugby at Auburn this year (have never played before, always been a soccer player) and would love to get to watch some games to get a better feel for the game and how it is meant to be played.

What channel have you been watching Rugby on tv? I am planning on attempting to play Rugby at Auburn this year (have never played before, always been a soccer player) and would love to get to watch some games to get a better feel for the game and how it is meant to be played.

The super 7's were on ESPN. I fully recommend playing rugby at auburn.

^^^^ THIS ^^^^

I couldn't agree more. It is a great sport, you make friends for life and now with Rugby 7's becoming an Olympic sport you will see this sport take off in the US.

It is a sport that demands many different skills and players of many different sizes and shapes. 

If you do decide to play make sure you play in the pack because that is where the real men play LOL.

:wedance:

Yeah I have always liked the sport from the limited amount I have seen. I am definitely going to give it a shot, the only thing that would make me not stick with it is if it took up too much time and I was unable to balance it with senior level mechanical engineering classes. I don't see that being the case. I will tell whoever runs the show that I need to be in the pack because I want to be a real man  ;)

Yeah I have always liked the sport from the limited amount I have seen. I am definitely going to give it a shot, the only thing that would make me not stick with it is if it took up too much time and I was unable to balance it with senior level mechanical engineering classes. I don't see that being the case. I will tell whoever runs the show that I need to be in the pack because I want to be a real man  ;)

One of my friends on the team was taking senior level biomedical courses... Including mammalian physiology.

Cool it shouldn't be a problem then. I am looking forward to it, wish I had given more thought to playing before my last year at Auburn.

What is nice about Rugby is you don't have to quit after college. I started playing at Auburn in 1971 0r 1972 and am still playing on an Old BOYS side.

ROT OLD Boys Rugby

ROT (Republic of Texas)

Cool it shouldn't be a problem then. I am looking forward to it, wish I had given more thought to playing before my last year at Auburn.

What is nice about Rugby is you don't have to quit after college. I started playing at Auburn in 1971 0r 1972 and am still playing on an Old BOYS side.

ROT OLD Boys Rugby

ROT (Republic of Texas)

Yeah. Auburn has a men's league now.

That is pretty cool I didn't realize it was big enough here in the states to play through adulthood. I like how fast paced it is, will let y'all know how it turns out in the fall. Thanks for the info.

Where at in Texas are you from? I have lived in Ft. Worth and Whichita Falls, I live in Florida now. Would love to get out to Texas again someday, great place to live.

That is pretty cool I didn't realize it was big enough here in the states to play through adulthood. I like how fast paced it is, will let y'all know how it turns out in the fall. Thanks for the info.

Where at in Texas are you from? I have lived in Ft. Worth and Whichita Falls, I live in Florida now. Would love to get out to Texas again someday, great place to live.

I live in Allen, Tx. about 20 miles North of Dallas on I-75

Archived