Who is your favorite Auburn player that didn't win a Heisman?

I gotta go with Tucker Fredrickson, man played both ways, number one pick in 65 NFL draft, muff said.

Whose muff?  I mean, who's Muff?  Doh!   :-X

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

James Bostic from 93....Kenny Irons...

Ronnie Brown - Carried the team, Caddie looked good because of what RB done. higher YPC average as well.

I can't agree with this. Ronnie had a better YPC because the focus was on Caddy. They worked in concert, but Jason Campbell carried the team. As for which was better, I've heard people talk about Ronnie being more versatile and the actual better back, but I would contend that they are simply different. Carnell was always the fluid, pure runner (which is why he was nicknamed "Cadillac" in the first place), the guy with perfect instincts, who could cut on a dime and not lose momentum. Brown was the workhorse, the blue collar guy, from running between the tackles to catching the ball out of the backfield, Hummer was certainly a force, so please don't take all this the wrong way.

I just don't think it's fair to diminish Carnell's year--or career, for that matter--by holding Ronnie up higher. I think they both made each other better for having the other there.

I see your point and can agree with it, except I think it was the other way around. But it's an opinion, good for debate.

Ronnie Brown - Carried the team, Caddie looked good because of what RB done. higher YPC average as well.

I can't agree with this. Ronnie had a better YPC because the focus was on Caddy. They worked in concert, but Jason Campbell carried the team. As for which was better, I've heard people talk about Ronnie being more versatile and the actual better back, but I would contend that they are simply different. Carnell was always the fluid, pure runner (which is why he was nicknamed "Cadillac" in the first place), the guy with perfect instincts, who could cut on a dime and not lose momentum. Brown was the workhorse, the blue collar guy, from running between the tackles to catching the ball out of the backfield, Hummer was certainly a force, so please don't take all this the wrong way.

I just don't think it's fair to diminish Carnell's year--or career, for that matter--by holding Ronnie up higher. I think they both made each other better for having the other there.

I see your point and can agree with it, except I think it was the other way around. But it's an opinion, good for debate.

Just to explain my thought process, I don't think Brown would have been as successful had he been the one to get the larger number of carries per game. Remember, Carnell ran for over a thousand yards, while Brown didn't, so if he had a lower yards per carry average...you get the picture. But yeah, it's whatever. Not a big issue.

"Fast" Freddy Smith :thumbsup:

Freddy was a great one. He was all over the field. Our version of the kid (will not mention the name) that went to LSU in last years recruiting class.

Kevin Greene  

Good one!  I had somehow forgotten about him.  Also, Steve Wallace is another one that deserves to be mentioned in this discussion.  I'm sure there are still plenty more that we are leaving out though.

Just to explain my thought process, I don't think Brown would have been as successful had he been the one to get the larger number of carries per game. Remember, Carnell ran for over a thousand yards, while Brown didn't, so if he had a lower yards per carry average...you get the picture. But yeah, it's whatever. Not a big issue.

I'm not sure either would have been as good without the other. I'm certian that we would not have won as many games as we did if we didn't use both.

I'm not sure either would have been as good without the other. I'm certian that we would not have won as many games as we did if we didn't use both.

Oh, there's no question that neither would have been as good without the other; what I was getting at is that I believe they were in the right roles, that Brown as the primary ball carrier and Williams as the change up would not have been as effective and Brown's YPC would have decreased a fair amount.

Oh, there's no question that neither would have been as good without the other; what I was getting at is that I believe they were in the right roles, that Brown as the primary ball carrier and Williams as the change up would not have been as effective and Brown's YPC would have decreased a fair amount.

I can agree with that.

Kevin Greene  

Good one!  I had somehow forgotten about him.  Also, Steve Wallace is another one that deserves to be mentioned in this discussion.  I'm sure there are still plenty more that we are leaving out though.

Good call on Wallace. He had slipped my mind.

I don't know why, but thinking of Wallace made me think of Aundray Bruce, Ben Grubbs, and Big Willie Anderson.

After Tucker.......Forrest Blue would be #2 on my list with Tom Banks #3

Sorry Golf.  Some of us can go back as far as Ken Burgess and Mickey Zofko but you, Pops, and my dad are the only ones that go back to leather helmet days.  Not saying that we don't respect the opinion of you and Pops and my dad, of course.  We do respect Pops.  :tease:

Sorry Golf.  Some of us can go back as far as Ken Burgess and Mickey Zofko but you, Pops, and my dad are the only ones that go back to leather helmet days.  Not saying that we don't respect the opinion of you and Pops and my dad, of course.  We do respect Pops.  :tease:

Zofko played with Banks  :-\

Zofko played with Banks  :-\

Oh..........  I guess I owe you an apology..........  I'm sorry MR. Golf. 

Now, tell us about Tom Banks and then the Phil Gargis story.

Wanna send a shout out to my boy Chris Shelling...

Hot dang...that brings back a great memory from 1994 in the "Interception" game against LSU.  WOW!

I don't know if this guy's name has been mentioned, but I really liked Jeff Burger when he was the quarterback at AU. He was tough as nails and didn't let stuff bother him. I remember he had to sit out the first series against Miss St due to being on that fishing trip but, after he went in the game, it was all over but the crying for Moo State. I also remember that 4th down pass he hit Trey Gainous (I think he was the one who caught the pass) in the Iron Bowl when AU came from behind to beat Bama 21-17 on Lawyer Tillman's reverse. He stood in the pocket when it seemed like the Bama defense was about to swallow him and he hit the receiver where only the receiver could catch it. It was a beautiful play.

Wanna send a shout out to my boy Chris Shelling...

Hot dang...that brings back a great memory from 1994 in the "Interception" game against LSU.  WOW!

Yeah, I was there. Wearing his jersey, if memory serves correctly.

Gene Jelks, Mike DuBose, Mike Price, Dennis Franchione and Mike Shula :laugh:

Don't forget the FB that fumbled the ball with a couple minutes left so we could kick a game winning field goal in 1997.

Gene Jelks, Mike DuBose, Mike Price, Dennis Franchione and Mike Shula :laugh:

Don't forget the FB that fumbled the ball with a couple minutes left so we could kick a game winning field goal in 1997.

Ed Scissum, or something along those lines. Give him credit though: he fought hard after fielding the squib following Holmes' winning kick. Hard enough to get them close enough that they tried to kick their own game winner, which turned out to be great for us because the kick landed well short, and kicking kept them from having any kind of miracle hail mary or something.

Archived