2016 4* JUCO WR Taj Williams (TCU commit)

EagleDamnWar

Any reason why schools like FSU did not recruit Taj considering he is from Tallahassee? Always worries me when in state schools especially the immediate city, do not recruit someone. Throws up a few red flags.

I wish AU had offered Damarcus Ware and Osi Umenyiora scholarships!!!!

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Any reason why schools like FSU did not recruit Taj considering he is from Tallahassee? Always worries me when in state schools especially the immediate city, do not recruit someone. Throws up a few red flags.

So does every other D1 program in the county.

I'm guessing every other D1 program in the country is pretty glad we didn't offer them.

:poke:

Stings a little more when they could walk to Auburn's campus, though.

Why didn't Auburn offer Damarcus Ware and Osi Umenyiora scholarships? Have we offerred Taj?

So in other words, this will be another AU/FSU battle?

As things stand now, no. It's AU/TCU w/ UF maybe trying to work their way in. FSU is taking 1 more WR & are holding that spot for Nate Craig.

As things stand now, no. It's AU/TCU w/ UF maybe trying to work their way in. FSU is taking 1 more WR & are holding that spot for Nate Craig.

This. NC should just go ahead and commit to fsu. That's where he is going to go anyways.

This. NC should just go ahead and commit to fsu. That's where he is going to go anyways.

I think NC is leaning towards FSU but still likes Auburn a lot but he is taking a wait and see approach to determine which team would showcase his talents the best. If Auburn O with JJ lights it up and receivers look great then we are back in and If on top of that the FSU O is not up to par then we get him for sure.

Either way Taj Williams would be a great pickup.

He should have stayed on board, Gus is about to turn the corner in complete domination in the sec and nationwide. Trust me, he don't want to miss that train, better recognize before it's too late to get on board.

• 2 weeks later...

Since we lost Josh to SC and Nate Craig is now considering UF, I hope pick up Tij and Eli Stove.

Since we lost Josh to SC and Nate Craig is now considering UF, I hope pick up Tij and Eli Stove.

Nate Craig will either choose AU or FSU. Right now the predictions are FSU, but that could change.

Looks like Williams is leaning to TCU and Coach Luper.

Of course if we are all correct on JJ, Duke, and Lewis having a breakout year, that could easily change.

Of course if we are all correct on JJ, Duke, and Lewis having a breakout year, that could easily change.

I hope I'm wrong but I don't see Rico having a break out year. I see someone else stepping up as the #2 WR.

Louis.

I don't see a huge breakout year for receivers. If Gus can run the ball with success, he'll run it and use the passing game to keep the D honest. We have the hosses at RB to get that done.

That's not a criticism of Gus, that is precisely the best way to win ball games but it doesn't produce receivers with eye-catching numbers.

To say that JJ has to have a big year in order for us to sign top talent at WR makes no sense. Obviously a receiver does not have to see that big numbers can be put up in an O in order to go to the school. If that was the case then Jones nor Cooper would have ever set foot in Turdtown. WR is just like any other position. If they like the school, education criteria, coaches and their chances of getting on the field then they will commit. If they don't then they will look for a school that is going to get them the things they want. Heck look at AU. According to espn we have not had a 1,000 yard receiver in at least 5 years (I didn't feel like going back any further). Yet we got the #1 Juco WR last year and we have had several 4* & 5* WR over that time.

With all of that said, I do hope JJ has a great year. I do hope we stick to the run and I hope we pass on the teams that give it to us. However we don't need to be prolific in passing in order to get top WR talent.

To say that JJ has to have a big year in order for us to sign top talent at WR makes no sense. Obviously a receiver does not have to see that big numbers can be put up in an O in order to go to the school. If that was the case then Jones nor Cooper would have ever set foot in Turdtown. WR is just like any other position. If they like the school, education criteria, coaches and their chances of getting on the field then they will commit. If they don't then they will look for a school that is going to get them the things they want. Heck look at AU. According to espn we have not had a 1,000 yard receiver in at least 5 years (I didn't feel like going back any further). Yet we got the #1 Juco WR last year and we have had several 4* & 5* WR over that time.

With all of that said, I do hope JJ has a great year. I do hope we stick to the run and I hope we pass on the teams that give it to us. However we don't need to be prolific in passing in order to get top WR talent.

1. Don't recall that being said on here but it definitely helps in some cases. Nate Craig for example, has said WR production will be a big factor in his choice. 2. In some cases you are right. In others, not so much. It just depends on the prospect & what & who he listens to. Teams recruiting against us pound the sales pitch that we are a run heavy team so that such & such WR would not get to truly showcase his talent @ AU. It works on some kids & I'd be willing to bet that's what FSU used & worked w/ getting Nate Craig to decommit.

There are 2 things AU can control to stimy those sales pitches. 1. Since we have a more fluid & accurate passer this season the play calling can become more balanced thus allowing WR more opportunities. 2. If Boom's D can get off the field unlike the better part of the past 2 years it will increase our total offensive plays per game about 8-12. Depending on whether we play 13-15 games that's 104-180 more touches for the offense which would be a dramatic increase. So far in the Gus era we are averaging under 74 plays per game which is right in the middle in the nation.

I understand what you are saying Ellitor. I do understand it from a WR point of view that they want to go somewhere the WR is a bigger factor in the offense. Either way. I am hoping we continue to get our share of the highly ranked WRs whether we run or throw.

One key point is that we just put one WR in NFL Sammie Coates and we will put another one next season in Duke. That in and of itself will attract WR's.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived