Eric Mack?

rockfordpi

He had a teammate who was supposed to live,  but who's life was cut short.  He also has a teammate who was most likely not going to live who's life was extended in Coleman.  Coleman could probably help E Mack.

I'd like to weigh in on this situation, as I have experienced something very similar to Eric's.

Without going into too much detail, I was shot when I was 20 years old (now 33).  I was also a student at AU at the time, but the shooting occured back home the weekend before I was supposed to start my junior year at Auburn.  My injuries were a bit more complicated the EM's so I was on medical leave the entire fall quarter and spring.

Now even though the physical pain was very tough, the mental aspect was much greater.  It will be quite a while before EM can get back to normal.  Waking up in the middle of the night from nightmares in cold/hot sweats is no fun.

Being shot definitley puts your entire life into perspective, but you can choose one of two paths.  You can choose forgiveness or you can choose bitterness.  I chose forgiveness.  For me it made me realize just what was important and what was not.  You value your friends, family, and loved ones more than ever.  I can tell you that being shot made me a much better man and I wouldn't change what happened for the world. 

With Eric, I hope he chooses the right path for him.  I wish him the best with his recovery and also hope that he does not give up football entirely, because if he truly loves football and quits, he WILL regret it the rest of his life. 

WAR EAGLE Eric!

I don't know what is going on in his head. All I can do understand what a trying time it has been for him, let him know that the whole Auburn family loves him and supports him and we are all praying for him.

I'd like to weigh in on this situation, as I have experienced something very similar to Eric's.

Without going into too much detail, I was shot when I was 20 years old (now 33).  I was also a student at AU at the time, but the shooting occured back home the weekend before I was supposed to start my junior year at Auburn.  My injuries were a bit more complicated the EM's so I was on medical leave the entire fall quarter and spring.

Now even though the physical pain was very tough, the mental aspect was much greater.  It will be quite a while before EM can get back to normal.  Waking up in the middle of the night from nightmares in cold/hot sweats is no fun.

Being shot definitley puts your entire life into perspective, but you can choose one of two paths.  You can choose forgiveness or you can choose bitterness.  I chose forgiveness.  For me it made me realize just what was important and what was not.  You value your friends, family, and loved ones more than ever.  I can tell you that being shot made me a much better man and I wouldn't change what happened for the world

With Eric, I hope he chooses the right path for him.  I wish him the best with his recovery and also hope that he does not give up football entirely, because if he truly loves football and quits, he WILL regret it the rest of his life. 

WAR EAGLE Eric!

This is a very powerful statement yet impossible for me to truly understand. Thanks for sharing your experience.

Being shot definitley puts your entire life into perspective, but you can choose one of two paths.  You can choose forgiveness or you can choose bitterness.  I chose forgiveness.  For me it made me realize just what was important and what was not.  You value your friends, family, and loved ones more than ever.  I can tell you that being shot made me a much better man and I wouldn't change what happened for the world. 

WAR EAGLE Eric!

Powerful post....

WAR EAGLE Eric!

Thanks for sharing...that was, indeed, very powerful.

One other thing to keep in mind is that two of his friends died in the same event (not sure if he was friends with the other victim who passed on), so he understands the reality of exactly how lucky he is all the more.

This isn't the same situation, but 15 years ago I was in a four wheeler wreck that by all rights should have ended my life (twice), and left me comatose with my body broken like a piece of bread. I mention that simply because there are realities from that event which are only now coming to me, a decade and a half later. Only Eric and God know how long he needs to recover from this on a psychological level; I just pray that he is able to figure out what the best course of action for him is. No matter what, though, I will be cheering for him, as I know the rest of my Auburn brethren will be, as well.

• 2 weeks later...

His twitter sounds like he is really having a hard time. The kid doesn't deserve to go through this. I wish him the very best whether he plays football or not.

Prayers for Eric. Hope he gets it back together sooner rather than later, best wishes for him.

His twitter sounds like he is really having a hard time. The kid doesn't deserve to go through this. I wish him the very best whether he plays football or not.

Amen to that! Hope he can put this behind him.

Archived