2013 4* RB Jordan Wilkins (Ole Miss signee)

RunInRed

Not at all. Just tired of somebody trying to correct things that are already correct. This isn't the first time that's happened. Wilkins has committed to Auburn. Auburn has accepted that committment. That's all I said and those are undeniable facts.

Wilkins committed to Auburn and Auburn accepted his commitment when the old staff was in place. The new staff is under no obligation to honor that commitment. That is why people like Lemond Johnson end up at UTk.

I have a hard time believing that if Wilkins never flips we would tell him no because that would be a huge PR hit. It has more to do with the lengths we are taking to keep him on board. At the moment we are spending little to no time attempting to retain his commitment and are looking at other RBs to replace him. That seems to suggest where he stands in the recruiting class

Yes, Wilkins has committed to Auburn and Auburn has accepted his comittment. Thank you! Speculation about current thinking or future events is fine. You seem to recignize speculation for what it is. Not all of us here seem able to grasp that.

• Replies 797
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mikey did you just stop reading? Accepting that commitment was done by the old staff. This is a new staff and are under zero obligation to accept that commitment. Until a recruit signs a National Letter of Intent, his commitment and acceptance of commitment is conditional by both parties.

Mikey did you just stop reading? Accepting that commitment was done by the old staff. This is a new staff and are under zero obligation to accept that commitment. Until a recruit signs a National Letter of Intent, his commitment and acceptance of commitment is conditional by both parties.

I notice a lot of folks got mad when when some kids decommitted from us. They are under no obligation to the new staff by this line of thinking correct?

I notice a lot of folks got mad when when some kids decommitted from us. They are under no obligation to the new staff by this line of thinking correct?

Correct

Yet you posted: "I have a hard time believing that if Wilkins never flips we would tell him no because that would be a huge PR hit."

Therefore, he has a committable offer. Change of staff or not, no school is ever obligated to honor a comittment, just ask UAT.

However, in the case of Wilkins, today he holds a committable offer from Auburn and he has accepted that offer. This by both your and ellitor's accounts and that's the question I was answering. It's not complicated. We offered, he accepted and nothing has changed since then. Simple.

Well I doubt Jordan Wilkins is going to a school that doesn't want him there and has stopped recruiting him. If he flips I do not believe the coaching staff is going to be upset/try and get him back. Similar to Jahmere Irvin Sills and Arshad Jackson (neither one were publicly dropped by us yet we stopped recruiting them)

If a recruit commits to a school or a school offers a commit, there should be a higher level of "commitment" to their stated intentions. Just like in law, if the terms of a contract change, ie coaching staff, school atmosphere (think PSU), family issues, promises broken and so on, then it is understandable for a commit to change. When guys just straight up flip with no change in ther conditions of their commitment I think that is messed up. I mean if they weren't sure why did they commit instead of just naming a leader?

Well I doubt Jordan Wilkins is going to a school that doesn't want him there and has stopped recruiting him. If he flips I do not believe the coaching staff is going to be upset/try and get him back. Similar to Jahmere Irvin Sills and Arshad Jackson (neither one were publicly dropped by us yet we stopped recruiting them)

And to go further with your point it is a NCAA violation for a school to say anything publicly about recruits so they can't say they are dropping or offering a recruit. Therefore all information comes from recruits and inside sources for each school. Bottom line is you will rarely get cut and dry info because recruiting the way the rules are now is basically one big poker match which is one reason I love it so much. Recruiting by definition and nature is speculation.

And to go further with your point it is a NCAA violation for a school to say anything publicly about recruits so they can't say they are dropping or offering a recruit. Therefore all information comes from recruits and inside sources for each school. Bottom line is you will rarely get cut and dry info because recruiting the way the rules are now is basically one big poker match which is one reason I love it so much. Recruiting by definition and nature is speculation.

Link? :poke:

My concern is with Derrick Green. I think by pursuing him we lost GB and i think it may lead to us losing JW and then DG may still commit to Michigan.

Just spitballing here, maybe players aren't choosing us for other reasons or maybe they will choose us.

My concern is with Derrick Green. I think by pursuing him we lost GB and i think it may lead to us losing JW and then DG may still commit to Michigan.

Just spitballing here, maybe players aren't choosing us for other reasons or maybe they will choose us.

I know nothing about the situation but I infer from what has been said here that there are other RBs the coaches would rather have over JW than just DG. If I'm wrong then it should mean that either they are pretty comfortable with the RBs we have and getting DG would be gravy or that they really don't think JW is going to recover from his injury in time to help us much. If I'm wrong about that then we're going to need new coaches in a year or so but I don't have any reason to worry about that.

Green is a young man trying to figure out what is best for him. Nobody should have a problem if he chooses Michigan given our 3-9 season and completely new staff....As for Wilkins it looks like there are at least 3 backs ahead of him the coaches want right now.

DG has never officially committed to us and it's our decision to keep pursuing him.

DG has never officially committed to us and it's our decision to keep pursuing him.

++

Vandy and Arkansas have been the other two big players in JW's recruitment. They don't have any better feeling on him than we do. Got this from a pretty well respected Hogville poster:

"I've seen two writers say (one on an Arkansas board and one on an Auburn one) that Wilkins hasn't been returning their messages. It seems to me that something is up. I wonder if his injury could be worse than reported, or that ever present problem grades? But one of the schools pursuing Wilkins the hardest is Vanderbilt, so you would think that the finest academic school in the SEC has given him the academic bill of approval. So we are back to the injury.

Then a few days later:

"I read on a site that Wilkins's dad says Jordan may skip his visit to Arkansas.

That sort of makes sense. It was the previous group of coaches who had kept the connection with Jordan alive, and it could be that with his injury the current coaches weren't as excited.

Sadly, it looks like we are no longer pursuing Jordan Wilkins."

His rehab has gone well and he recently tweeted that he was running at full speed. I think a red shirt year would probably be in order, but this kid is a very talented back. He comes from a very good family and hasn't gotten caught up in all the hoopla of recruiting. Gus was recruiting him as a junior so the relationship was already there. His last public comments were that he was waiting on who the new RB coach would be and that he had a great relationship with Gus. The fact that he has been quiet has led to a lot of speculation about the coaches not being interested in him which I feel is simply not true. If DG commits to the good guys, it might pose an issue with JW's commitment but otherwise I feel like he will be an Auburn Tiger.

Vandy and Arkansas have been the other two big players in JW's recruitment. They don't have any better feeling on him than we do. Got this from a pretty well respected Hogville poster:

"I've seen two writers say (one on an Arkansas board and one on an Auburn one) that Wilkins hasn't been returning their messages. It seems to me that something is up. I wonder if his injury could be worse than reported, or that ever present problem grades? But one of the schools pursuing Wilkins the hardest is Vanderbilt, so you would think that the finest academic school in the SEC has given him the academic bill of approval. So we are back to the injury.

Then a few days later:

"I read on a site that Wilkins's dad says Jordan may skip his visit to Arkansas.

That sort of makes sense. It was the previous group of coaches who had kept the connection with Jordan alive, and it could be that with his injury the current coaches weren't as excited.

Sadly, it looks like we are no longer pursuing Jordan Wilkins."

His rehab has gone well and he recently tweeted that he was running at full speed. I think a red shirt year would probably be in order, but this kid is a very talented back. He comes from a very good family and hasn't gotten caught up in all the hoopla of recruiting. Gus was recruiting him as a junior so the relationship was already there. His last public comments were that he was waiting on who the new RB coach would be and that he had a great relationship with Gus. The fact that he has been quiet has led to a lot of speculation about the coaches not being interested in him which I feel is simply not true. If DG commits to the good guys, it might pose an issue with JW's commitment but otherwise I feel like he will be an Auburn Tiger.

Good information! However, you don't understand the rules around here. If a kid's destination seems to be in question, you must claim "Our coaches lost interest." That way we never get beat for a recruit. If we do sign him later it's because "our coaches lost interest in so-and-so and came back and picked this kid up." That way our "insiders" are never wrong. Do we have a great system or what?

Mikey, I think you're getting our system mixed up with that of one practiced across the state. We truly get butt hurt when a recruit jilts us at the alter around here. I just hope than they all face a mean AU team down the road that pays them back for the jilting. that's all.

Mikey, I think you're getting our system mixed up with that of one practiced across the state. We truly get butt hurt when a recruit jilts us at the alter around here. I just hope than they all face a mean AU team down the road that pays them back for the jilting. that's all.

I wasn't talking about our team, I was talking about the way the "system" on this message board works. It's a HOOT!

Ha! Gotcha. Sounded a bit Sabanesque. You hear that guys? you all sound like turds when you react this way! LOL. that should be enough to make a large portion of the group step away from the ledge and re-evaluate how seriously we take recruitment. any comparison to the turds is enough for deep reflection

;D

Good information! However, you don't understand the rules around here.

So his information is "good" because it fits your agenda? Classic.

We are actively recruiting the Barber kid for a reason, and its not because we intend to sign 15 runningbacks.

We are actively recruiting the Barber kid for a reason, and its not because we intend to sign 15 runningbacks.

It does not happen often but you and I agree on this one.

Offering Barber is a fallback play if we lose out on our top backs. Doesn't hurt he's Lawson's teammate either. No-one has shown any proof that we have backed off Wilkins....it's been purely speculative. Which was the point of my earlier post. He has been quiet, we offer another running back and all the speculation begins to run its course.

We've offered dozens of kids over the past year....obviously we don't intend to sign them all.

Offering Barber is a fallback play if we lose out on our top backs. Doesn't hurt he's Lawson's teammate either. No-one has shown any proof that we have backed off Wilkins....it's been purely speculative. Which was the point of my earlier post. He has been quiet, we offer another running back and all the speculation begins to run its course.

We've offered dozens of kids over the past year....obviously we don't intend to sign them all.

Not only Barber but Corn Elder has been offered by the new staff

Offering Barber is a fallback play if we lose out on our top backs.

Prove to me that Barber isn't a replacement for Wilkins. You cant. Which makes it fairly ironic that you'd make a point of expecting "proof" for us backing off Wilkins while then turning around and making an even wilder assumption of your own.

You dont find it odd that there has been zero talk of Wilkins taking an official to Auburn? I mean, if they really wanted him wouldn't it make sense to make it a priority to get him on campus ASAP to build a relationship with the new staff and solidify his commitment? What makes it even more puzzling is that Wilkins has actively begun "looking around"...which would make it even more imperative to contact him, visit him, get him here on his official. None of that has happened. None. They've reached out to, visited, and held official visits with numerous current commitments who may have been wavering since the dismissal of the last staff...why the non-contact with Wilkins?

Offering Barber is a fallback play if we lose out on our top backs.

Prove to me that Barber isn't a replacement for Wilkins. You cant. Which makes it fairly ironic that you'd make a point of expecting "proof" for us backing off Wilkins while then turning around and making an even wilder assumption of your own.

You dont find it odd that there has been zero talk of Wilkins taking an official to Auburn? I mean, if they really wanted him wouldn't it make sense to make it a priority to get him on campus ASAP to build a relationship with the new staff and solidify his commitment? What makes it even more puzzling is that Wilkins has actively begun "looking around"...which would make it even more imperative to contact him, visit him, get him here on his official. None of that has happened. None. They've reached out to, visited, and held official visits with numerous current commitments who may have been wavering since the dismissal of the last staff...why the non-contact with Wilkins?

You make some good points. My initial point was noone has a bead on what this kid is doing because he has been so quiet. The fact is he is still committed. He has elite speed for his size and is probably our most unappreciated recruit. Why would we quit recruiting JW and recruit Barber? They're both downhill backs and JW is clearly the more talented back. I'm sure the coaches have made plenty of contact with JW during this period. As far as a visit goes, the coaches are scrambling to get recruits in. We're just now getting some news over the last week of visits being set up and we're hearing of new ones daily. It will be interesting to see what happens....

We need some big backs. CAP is a big back but he is an upperclassmen so he is in a different category. Incoming Freshmen, we have JW committed as a big back and that's it. It wouldn't hurt us at all to take 3 True Freshmen big RBs, JW and 2 more. If attrition gets one of them before they become a Jr, it won't be too many to take now. We have about 13 more slots to fill and more if we get any more decommits. If we can get JW, DG and Barber, I say get them. I know that isn't the plan but if they are available go for it. We need big backs, did I say that ? lol

Archived