2013 4* RB Jordan Wilkins (Ole Miss signee)

RunInRed

I am not hung up on Wilkins. If he sticks cool, if not, we I believe will find another.

I think that is an ignorant statement. Fact of the matter is he is one of two BIG runningbacks we will have on the roster next season (provided he and Cam both sign). He is a running threat, has a big enough body to pick up a blitz, and can catch the ball out of the backfield. Which is a skillset that IMO we have not seen out of anyone recently, the closest thing we have had is OMac. So imagen a slightly slower Omac, but who is big enough to effectively run between the tackles and pick up a block when a LB gets past a lineman. That is what we get in Wilkins.

• Replies 797
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am not hung up on Wilkins. If he sticks cool, if not, we I believe will find another.

How many times are we going to say "we'll find somebody else"? They are dropping like flies. If all that have decomitted stay gone, and Wilkins leaves, we'll be down to 12 players for this signing class. Think we can make up all that ground in a short period of time? With players of equal talent? Not possible.

At this time of the year we should be putting the icing on the cake. Instead the cake is collapsing.

Maybe we need to start realizing that we are going to lose a lot of recruits and we are not a "prime" destination for recruits right now either.

I am not hung up on Wilkins as a talent but I am hung up on him in terms of us not being able to replace him as a RB in this class.

How many times are we going to say "we'll find somebody else"? They are dropping like flies. If all that have decomitted stay gone, and Wilkins leaves, we'll be down to 12 players for this signing class. Think we can make up all that ground in a short period of time? With players of equal talent? Not possible.

At this time of the year we should be putting the icing on the cake. Instead the cake is collapsing.

No, if all that have decommitted stay gone and Wilkins leaves, we'll be down to 14 players for this signing class. Two are kickers, but both are amongst the best kickers in the country. And this is in a transitional year with an entirely new coaching staff...that is yet to be completely filled, at least officially. We still have four blue chip players at the top of the class, and Foster and Liner were hanging out on the sidelines for essentially the entire game, so there are at least some indicators that Reuben will be back.

The cake is not collapsing. It's just not what we want it to be. Yet.

We can always get JUCO players.

The less we sign the better it is in terms of initial counters next year which could set us up for future success. We can do what A&M is doing and sign close to 32ish

We can always get JUCO players.

The less we sign the better it is in terms of initial counters next year which could set us up for future success. We can do what A&M is doing and sign close to 32ish

No, we can only sign 3 that we count backwards, so our max is 28.

I meant next year, as in the class of 2014, we could sign considerably more than 25 if we do not sign a full 25 this year. Say we sign 18 this year on signing day not including the back counters, we would be able to sign 32 in 2014 if 7 of them count backwards

I think that is an ignorant statement. Fact of the matter is he is one of two BIG runningbacks we will have on the roster next season (provided he and Cam both sign). He is a running threat, has a big enough body to pick up a blitz, and can catch the ball out of the backfield. Which is a skillset that IMO we have not seen out of anyone recently, the closest thing we have had is OMac. So imagen a slightly slower Omac, but who is big enough to effectively run between the tackles and pick up a block when a LB gets past a lineman. That is what we get in Wilkins.

Plainsman's statement was the most intelligent thing I have seen on this board concerning recruits who may or may not decommit. It is kind of sad to see so many adults whining and wringing their hands about the state of mind of teen-agers who aren't related to them. The new coaching staff will find players to replace any who decommit-they might not have as many stars, but they will want to play for the good guys and will be better coached. One more thing, if I ever get the chance, I'd like to buy Plainsman a drink.

No, if all that have decommitted stay gone and Wilkins leaves, we'll be down to 14 players for this signing class. Two are kickers, but both are amongst the best kickers in the country.

The cake is not collapsing. It's just not what we want it to be. Yet.

Hate to argue, but my numbers are correct according to the pinned list at the top of this forum. 18 players are listed there. Of that 18, five (Trey Johnson, Rueben Foster, Lemond Johnson, Jarrad Davis and the Sills kid) have decommitted, leaving 13. If Wilkins goes, we're down to 12. That depressing list of dropouts doesn't even include Ja'Quay Williams, who decommitted earlier.

A month ago I wasn't too concerned. I thought when the new staff met with any guys that were wavering we'd get them back. Instead, they are dropping off at an increasing rate. I do believe the cake is collapsing. We have gone from a top five class to it being questionable if we're even in the top 20. To think we're hoping to go out there and flip a bunch of high quality players at this late stage is not reasonable.

Our best shot is to get some of these guys back in the fold. Tomorrow starts a dead period until early January. Maybe Gus can complete the staff, everybody take a deep breath and try to salvage those guys. They don't have to be lost. When Chizik was hired we didn't lose a single Tuberville recruit that we wanted. Lutz, O-Mac, Fairley to name three were all under heavy pressure to go elsewhere and they stuck with Auburn. We should be able to get these earlier guys back.

The dead period should give Gus time to get his staff nailed down and plan the campaign to bring the lost sheep back into the fold. No matter what people think about the previous staff, they could recruit and they likely lost very few during the process who might now consider AU.

IMO it's easier to turn some of these decommitted guys around and back toward AU than to pull in an equal number and quality of kids who have committed elsewhere and / or have had no contact with AU.

• 3 weeks later...

Any know where we stand with him? Has the new staff decided to go in a different direction? I am hearing that Arkansas has made him a top target and that he is interested as well. I wish him well where ever he ends up. But it seems like our staff has increased interest in other running backs over the last two weeks.

Any know where we stand with him? Has the new staff decided to go in a different direction? I am hearing that Arkansas has made him a top target and that he is interested as well. I wish him well where ever he ends up. But it seems like our staff has increased interest in other running backs over the last two weeks.

It looks like they are going in a different direction given they are recruiting DG and GB hard plus offered Corn and Payton plus talking to Kamara.

It looks like they are going in a different direction given they are recruiting DG and GB hard plus offered Corn and Payton plus talking to Kamara.

Yep.

Yep.

thanks guys, i assumed as much but was hoping for your confirmation on it.

Jordan Wilkins appears to be the real deal. He's a big running back with exceptional pass-catching skills and good speed. Why we'd be "going in another direction" is baffling, to say the least. This guy is already committed to Auburn. Why wander around looking elsewhere?

Unless, of course, he's lost interest in Auburn and not vice-versa. Then we need say "oh, crap" and to wander around looking, I suppose.

Everything points to us looking at other backs. Could be anything from worries about the injury, not clicking well with the staff, looking for different skill set. Running in a zone scheme is a different talent than running in a man scheme for instance (not sure if he runs in a different system or not though). Some offenses are tailored to a jack of all trades RB who isn't excellent in any one category while others require people who have top end talent in specific areas.

Those are all guesses but can offer insight into why we would pass on a guy who seems like a quality recruit. Lot of different reasons. I always liked Wilkins but doesn't look to be in our plans

I'd hate to lose WIlkins when we're behind on the RB targets that are as good or better than him. I'm afraid that we'll have to settle (With the exception of CA-P) this year with only a month to recruit top RB targets.

Could our interest level in him change (as in increase) now that we have a RB coach who will be reevaluating that position?

Until I hear otherwise, I'm thinking if there's any 'passing', Wilkins is passing on Auburn rather than the other way around. Us passing on a back with Wilkins' talent defies logic.

Until I hear otherwise, I'm thinking if there's any 'passing', Wilkins is passing on Auburn rather than the other way around. Us passing on a back with Wilkins' talent defies logic.

I think it's just as simple as Gus likes other backs better. Nothing more or less.

Mikey, we are not the only school passing. Jordan doesn't even have offers from schools like Georgia, LSU, Alabama, Florida or even South Carolina in the SEC. So slow your roll down because you watched a few highlight films of his. It has been said multiple times on here and confirmed by Auburn beat writers/recruiting mods that the coaching staff has not heavily pursued Jordan Wilkins (so pretty much haven't). They are passing on him for whatever reason. Who knows the reasons why. Also, your evals of Wilkins puts him at a significantly higher ceiling than most others

Mikey, we are not the only school passing. Jordan doesn't even have offers from schools like Georgia, LSU, Alabama, Florida or even South Carolina in the SEC. So slow your roll down because you watched a few highlight films of his. It has been said multiple times on here and confirmed by Auburn beat writers/recruiting mods that the coaching staff has not heavily pursued Jordan Wilkins (so pretty much haven't). They are passing on him for whatever reason. Who knows the reasons why. Also, your evals of Wilkins puts him at a significantly higher ceiling than most others

Oh, I'm no talent evaluator. I don't bother looking at player videos, all I go by is all the elation from alleged insiders when a guy commits to AU. It seems that what was a Big Deal when he committed is now, well, no big deal when he might go elsewhere. Curious, don't you think?

well i do watch all of the film on as many guys as i can find and i will tell you that he is not as good as Green Bryant or Elder I would put him equal to the peyton barber kid except wilkins played worse competition.

I don't see any point in saying who is better than who. I understand the reasoning behind it but I do not like berating the young man because he may or may not de-commit. I like any one who signs/commits to Auburn and I think it petty to post anything negative or less than encouraging. This is not just for Jordan Wilkins topic but any commit....

Archived