Best (and worst) beers you've ever had

BamaGrad03

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, AuburnSoldier said:

It’s a Festivus miracle in San Antonio! Just one more reason I’m happy I left Oklahoma. The BCBS was $10 by the way. 

C73C6201-3974-4376-94C4-F0C0779B2C8C.jpeg

How much was the Xocoveza? 16 is considered reasonable here. 

3 minutes ago, AuburnSoldier said:

$14 for the sixer.  Beer is about the only thing that’s cheaper here. 

I run through sixers like crap through a goose this time of year. 

1 hour ago, Planner4Hire said:

North Carolina.

I most likely won't. I bought two of the 2015 BCBA, only drank one during a beach trip with friends. Other is sitting in my fridge with all of the Foothills - Sexual Chocolate releases the past few years.

BTW, not my favorite beer, but Sexual Chocolate is pretty good, especially the BBA.

Love Seckshul Chocklit!

32 minutes ago, Tiger Refuge said:

My gawd, I want to get my paws on that one...

It definitely looks intriguing enough for me to try, but I haven't had one "bourbon barreled" beer that I've enjoyed, yet.

Finished with exams at the end of next week, which means I'll have plenty of time to devote to "research" in the coming weeks. 

6 hours ago, Barnacle said:

It definitely looks intriguing enough for me to try, but I haven't had one "bourbon barreled" beer that I've enjoyed, yet.

Finished with exams at the end of next week, which means I'll have plenty of time to devote to "research" in the coming weeks. 

What has turned you off to the BBA beers? Just curious.

13 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

Something about the taste, maybe too sweet?

Many of them are just sticky sweet messes to me. And a lot of *really* hyped beers I find indistinguishable from each other because of the sweetness. 

There are some out there that live up to the hype for me, though. 

6 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Many of them are just sticky sweet messes to me. And a lot of *really* hyped beers I find indistinguishable from each other because of the sweetness. 

There are some out there that live up to the hype for me, though. 

Admittedly, I think I've only tried one or two, and they turned me off to anything with bourbon on the label. I think its also because I really like actual bourbon. 

40 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

Something about the taste, maybe too sweet?

I completely understand.

I don’t enjoy them if they are too sweet. I seem to gravitate a bit more to the imperial BBAs, like Narwhal. 

I also am discovering that I am a really big fan of bourbon as well. 

22 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

Admittedly, I think I've only tried one or two, and they turned me off to anything with bourbon on the label. I think its also because I really like actual bourbon. 

I would argue that if you don't like Founders KBS or Backwoods Bastard, then you can say goodbye to BBA beers forever. 

Backwoods available year-round starting in April, btw...

2 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I would argue that if you don't like Founders KBS or Backwoods Bastard, then you can say goodbye to BBA beers forever. 

Backwoods available year-round starting in April, btw...

Good to know. I'll keep a look out 

33 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

There are some very good BBA stouts out there. Try the BBA Ten Fidy or Old Rasputin if you find it. Those are a great intro to the style. Won't find much sweetness in those, but you will definitely taste the bourbon. KBS is awesome too.

So is Backwoods. The Backwoods is a wee heavy but not nearly as sweet to me as most others I've had in the style.

2 minutes ago, Bigbens42 said:

So is Backwoods. The Backwoods is a wee heavy but not nearly as sweet to me as most others I've had in the style.

Agreed. It shouldn't work- syrup bomb on paper- but it totally does. One of my favorite annual releases. 

12 hours ago, AuburnSoldier said:

I’m not sure about this Xocovexa. It tastes like I’m taking the cinnamon challenge. I’ll let it warm up for a few minutes and take another swig. 

Spice forward beers aren't for everyone. 

56 minutes ago, Tiger Refuge said:

I also am discovering that I am a really big fan of bourbon as well. 

Thank goodness it's cheaper than scotch. 

My wife enjoys good booze as much as I do. Most nights we sit and have a couple drinks after the little one goes down. It amplifies my desire to find bargains when I'm pouring 4 fingers each time. Evan Williams Single Barrel has been popular at our house lately/again. 

Anybody had SN's Trip in the Woods this year? Cocoa coconut BA Narwhal. Considering a splurge.

Archived