Who is the "BOOM HIRE" that EagleDamnWar speaks of

tbone4jc

Guys, let's face it. The PTB are going to put in their guy. If Rane gets his way, we're getting Jimbo. If McWhorter gets his way, we're getting Petrino. I have a feeling Petrino is a tough sell and it will be Jimbo Fisher. We are seeing a power play unfold and some of the trustees may cave on not firing JJ to get the needed support for their coach. Jackson is gone, back to the ticket office or moving to another position in fundraising. Chizik is gone as the PTB didn't want to hire him in the first place. These guys wanted to hire their guys last time and JJ hired Gene after talking everyone into it. I am not saying JJ is going to survive this, I'm just saying it wouldn't surprise me if he did. We'll just have to wait and see. I'd love it if we cleaned house and put in a great coach, but I just don't see the money brokers letting that happen.

• Replies 614
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jimbo Fisher or Bobby Petrino? Yeah, I'd be ok with either of those guys taking over the football program.

I'd rather have Petrino.

Me too but Fisher would be just fine. I think Fisher could win and win big at AU.

Jimbo Fisher or Bobby Petrino? Yeah, I'd be ok with either of those guys taking over the football program.

Me too! Sorry my post didn't sound like I was excited about either. I keep hearing all of these names and I just wanted to come back to reality for a few.

Guys, let's face it. The PTB are going to put in their guy. If Rane gets his way, we're getting Jimbo. If McWhorter gets his way, we're getting Petrino. I have a feeling Petrino is a tough sell and it will be Jimbo Fisher. We are seeing a power play unfold and some of the trustees may cave on not firing JJ to get the needed support for their coach. Jackson is gone, back to the ticket office or moving to another position in fundraising. Chizik is gone as the PTB didn't want to hire him in the first place. These guys wanted to hire their guys last time and JJ hired Gene after talking everyone into it. I am not saying JJ is going to survive this, I'm just saying it wouldn't surprise me if he did. We'll just have to wait and see. I'd love it if we cleaned house and put in a great coach, but I just don't see the money brokers letting that happen.

The thing is, just because Rane wants something doesn't mean we get it. Heck, even though Petrino is out of work doesn't mean we would get him. Jimbo could use us as leverage to get a new deal at FSU. Everybody knows we pay well. Any coach would love to have his name mentioned as possibly coming to Auburn to drive their price up.

The thing is, just because Rane wants something doesn't mean we get it. Heck, even though Petrino is out of work doesn't mean we would get him. Jimbo could use us as leverage to get a new deal at FSU. Everybody knows we pay well. Any coach would love to have his name mentioned as possibly coming to Auburn to drive their price up.

FSU has cash flow problems.

But I promise you, if they want to keep him, they will come up with the money. It all depends on what the money at FSU wants. They are like Auburn in that way. They may be having money trouble, but it will affect the other sports. It already has. Football at FSU, like at Auburn, is their golden egg and they know it.

But I promise you, if they want to keep him, they will come up with the money. It all depends on what the money at FSU wants. They are like Auburn in that way. They may be having money trouble, but it will affect the other sports. It already has. Football at FSU, like at Auburn, is their golden egg and they know it.

Very true. I am not an insider by any stretch, but I do read a lot of posts and I understand there is mostly speculation out there. Having said that, the Jimbo hire makes more sense than most. People say why would Jimbo want to leave the ACC to come to the cutthroat SEC West? Maybe he's confident in his ability to recruit to AU. He already has the backing of the money brokers to get upgrades in facilities as needed and so forth. SEC is about to get big time stupid TV money. Even more stupid than they are already getting. Jimbo is smart enough to know that SEC TV and Bowl money split 15 ways (14 schools and SEC Office) is more than ACC TV and Bowl money split 16 or 17 ways. Money pays salaries, facility upgrades, support staff, recruiting budgets and so forth. The rich are only going to get richer. FSU is sitting on the outside looking in.

This thread is hilarious - so people are saying the ptb via JJ hired Chizik because he was a puppet coach of the good ole boys and would allow the gang to come back into the athletic department, the ones Tubbs ran off...now these same ptb or another alleged group will not donate any money to AU unless the atheltic department is restructured...however there are 2 powerful boosters one who wants BP, and another wants Jimbo...if one does not get there man they are threatening all future financial support to AU. Yet some feel a proposed deal has already been drawn up by someone behind the scenes to bring Fisher and Rams GM into Auburn next year. I have read several posters here claiming to have sources of sources, with all kind of scenarios for when, and who the next coach will be. After 50 pages it's time to factually back something up - I have no connections but a lot of common sense, therefore i am going to sit back observe and see what comes to fruition...I have a feeling a lot of us are going to be woefully surprised, and some extremely disappointed in there so called sources.

Boom hire would be JEFF FISHER and the GM at the Rams. That GM just happened to play college football at AU and was a grad asst. for a while.

Heard he was in Auburn this past weekend. Of course his son is on the team, so not really big news.

Very true. I am not an insider by any stretch, but I do read a lot of posts and I understand there is mostly speculation out there. Having said that, the Jimbo hire makes more sense than most. People say why would Jimbo want to leave the ACC to come to the cutthroat SEC West? Maybe he's confident in his ability to recruit to AU. He already has the backing of the money brokers to get upgrades in facilities as needed and so forth. SEC is about to get big time stupid TV money. Even more stupid than they are already getting. Jimbo is smart enough to know that SEC TV and Bowl money split 15 ways (14 schools and SEC Office) is more than ACC TV and Bowl money split 16 or 17 ways. Money pays salaries, facility upgrades, support staff, recruiting budgets and so forth. The rich are only going to get richer. FSU is sitting on the outside looking in.

Why would AU want this guy other than to be a good ole boy coach...he has done nothing of note at FSU. Nothing....cash strapped or not he is at the premiere school in his league, and still has not produced nothing but the every year meltdown loss to an NC St or Wake Forest...

This thread is hilarious - so people are saying the ptb via JJ hired Chizik because he was a puppet coach of the good ole boys and would allow the gang to come back into the athletic department, the ones Tubbs ran off...now these same ptb or another alleged group will not donate any money to AU unless the atheltic department is restructured...however there are 2 powerful boosters one who wants BP, and another wants Jimbo...if one does not get there man they are threatening all future financial support to AU. Yet some feel a proposed deal has already been drawn up by someone behind the scenes to bring Fisher and Rams GM into Auburn next year. I have read several posters here claiming to have sources of sources, with all kind of scenarios for when, and who the next coach will be. After 50 pages it's time to factually back something up - I have no connections but a lot of common sense, therefore i am going to sit back observe and see what comes to fruition...I have a feeling a lot of us are going to be woefully surprised, and some extremely disappointed in there so called sources.

Why would anyone want to back anything up with facts when the bull**** is so much more entertaining?

Why would AU want this guy other than to be a good ole boy coach...he has done nothing of note at FSU. Nothing....cash strapped or not he is at the premiere school in his league, and still has not produced nothing but the every year meltdown loss to an NC St or Wake Forest...

8-1 with a one point loss to NC State ranked in the Top 10 beats the crap out of being 2-7 at the moment. Just sayin'

Posted by allin2010 on another board. TIFWIW.

"I have hope that we will get rid of J. Jacobs... I finally took a deep breath, spoke with someone in authority, and thought about it for a minute.

J. Jacobs, TJ are pulling out all the stops in an effort to save their jobs, this includes: putting out information that JJ may save his job, Dye's call on Friday, JJ now willing to replace Chizik, opening up practice, taking TJ off the field, TJ begging for his job, etc...

JJ/Dye is reminding folks that he has made ONE bad hire and compares himself to Mal Moore and Mal's hiring of Saban.... I think Jay has told Dr. G. that he can bring in a BIG time coach. Dr. G. has gotten some assurances that this coach will come and work for Jay."

Maybe JJ really meant to say he's made one GOOD hire, and that is giving him a 1/2 for Chizik for the NC (and that is debatable considering this year's debacle) and a 1/2 for Barbee who I think might have actually started turning the BB team around and we might have a decent team this year. I won't go through all the bad coaching hires, some are obvious and some the jury is still out. But he has demonstrated really poor judgment in putting an arrogant, too cool for school, jerk in as a senior deputy because of his personal friendship AND not doing everything he could to keep (some say "running off") the best swimming coach in the country, and that is only two examples. To his credit, he has done a lot with facilities, but he has also NOT done some things with facilities he should have by now. The biggest issue that many PTB have with JJ other than the obvious is his poor business sense in signing all the contracts that make it VERY expensive for AU in the event that we need to clean house (like now)... I guess we shall see... :sad2:

I'm still not sure I even understand the PTB thing from a coach's perspective. No doubt there are probably some boosters out there that want their guy put in place, but if you're the potential coach what good does that do you? Let's think about this, the PTB hire a "puppet coach" that they can minipulate, after the PTB have meddled for a while, the coach is unsuccessful and then the powers that be have him canned. If you're the coach, why not just say you would welcome input from the powers that be and sometime during the first season of your tenure, tell them to shove it. This is the SEC, winning trumps everything. Listen to the PTB and fail you will be fired, don't listen to the powers that be and win there is no way they can fire you. Don't listen to the powers that be an lose, you will be fired. It seems that the only way for a coach to succeed at AU (or any other school for that matter) is to just win. So why sell yourself to the PTB. Win and nothing else matters. Don't listen to them and lose, yeah, you'll get canned, but at least you won't be some puppet sellout. Am I way off base here?

Posted by allin2010 on another board. TIFWIW.

"I have hope that we will get rid of J. Jacobs... I finally took a deep breath, spoke with someone in authority, and thought about it for a minute.

J. Jacobs, TJ are pulling out all the stops in an effort to save their jobs, this includes: putting out information that JJ may save his job, Dye's call on Friday, JJ now willing to replace Chizik, opening up practice, taking TJ off the field, TJ begging for his job, etc...

JJ/Dye is reminding folks that he has made ONE bad hire and compares himself to Mal Moore and Mal's hiring of Saban.... I think Jay has told Dr. G. that he can bring in a BIG time coach. Dr. G. has gotten some assurances that this coach will come and work for Jay."

Maybe JJ really meant to say he's made one GOOD hire, and that is giving him a 1/2 for Chizik for the NC (and that is debatable considering this year's debacle) and a 1/2 for Barbee who I think might have actually started turning the BB team around and we might have a decent team this year. I won't go through all the bad coaching hires, some are obvious and some the jury is still out. But he has demonstrated really poor judgment in putting an arrogant, too cool for school, jerk in as a senior deputy because of his personal friendship AND not doing everything he could to keep (some say "running off") the best swimming coach in the country, and that is only two examples. To his credit, he has done a lot with facilities, but he has also NOT done some things with facilities he should have by now. The biggest issue that many PTB have with JJ other than the obvious is his poor business sense in signing all the contracts that make it VERY expensive for AU in the event that we need to clean house (like now)... I guess we shall see... :sad2:

Agree with this perspective. I would add that the perceived holier than thou complex that JJ is often perceived as having--is only perpetuated by the work that he had his lieutenant doing on Saturday. Working the luxury suites in an attempt to save the jobs of JJ, TJ and CGC. JJ seems to think that he is only accountable to the PTB or maybe only to CPD. He actually works for all of us. I understand that the luxury suite crowd has more say so. That's life. At the same time, it takes a hell of a lot more $ than the luxury suite crowd can muster up to accommodate the salaries, athletic budget and poor business decisions that he has made. No butts in the seats is sending that message pretty clearly to me.

Wonder why no one has mentioned Houston Nutt yet. At one time we were trying to steal him away from ole Siss when he was coach there. Think he even used us to get him a contract extention.

Wonder why no one has mentioned Houston Nutt yet. At one time we were trying to steal him away from ole Siss when he was coach there. Think he even used us to get him a contract extention.

I had no idea AU was trying to hire Nutt away from Ole Miss?

Learn something new everyday.

we'd be mostly a 7 - 8 win team with him every year with 1 or 2 9-10 season's sandwiched in between

First off, I'm not saying Jimbo or anyone else is a puppet coach. I'm just pointing out that certain influential people have the coach they want to hire. I'm not saying because they hire the coach, they can control him. That is not what I was saying. Again, like someone else pointed out, they may not get to hire their coach and have to compromise on another. I was just saying, to me, Jimbo made more sense and seems more doable than some of the other speculations.

I had no idea AU was trying to hire Nutt away from Ole Miss?

Learn something new everyday.

Back before we hired CGC, he was a name thrown around like all these names that are being called out now. Ole Siss gave him a contract extention and pay raise to keep him there...

Archived